QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - princess mononoke
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions princess mononoke Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
randorp
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.11.05
  princess mononokePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by randorp Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

any one else lovethis movie as much is i did?

07.11.2005, 03:35 PM randorp is offline   Profile for randorp Add randorp to your buddy list Send an Email to randorp Homepage of randorp AIM Screenname: FireFox1012
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yea it is an absolutely fascinating movie, and a must-see for any anime fan. Some critics regard it as a milestone of the history of anime development, as well as the peak of Miyazaki's career as an animator (while Mononoke is the best presentation of the Miyazaki ideology as a whole, the succeeding films are much more "commercial," "wealth-maximizing" and "market-oriented" ).

I personally am impressed with its thought-provoking qualities and in-depth portrayal of the characters. Unlike in some the previous works, Miyazaki changed his utopian and idealistic attitude to a more realistic and down-to-earth point of view, that focuses on every single side in a conflict, examining the underlying intention of each, instead of taking a stance on the first hand. To a certain extent, the movie serves as a proper conclusion to the Nausicaa manga together with On Your Mark.

Still, questions that recur again and again throughout the Miyazaki canon remains unsolved in the movie: How should we take a stance in a conflict (or should we take a stance at all?)? What is the way to end a conflict without bringing about hatred? What is the true meaning of "live on" (the theme of Mononoke, 生きる)? Well, probably it will be an insightful discussion if we go deep into all of them.

07.11.2005, 08:12 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
randorp
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by randorp Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

do u kow were i can get a coby of "On Your Mark"

i wonder if there will be a sequil but there is never a sequil to any anime caus it is usaly very bad

have u ever heard of jo hasi (sry for the spelling summer does that to u)

07.11.2005, 08:34 PM randorp is offline   Profile for randorp Add randorp to your buddy list Send an Email to randorp Homepage of randorp AIM Screenname: FireFox1012
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by randorp
do u kow were i can get a coby of "On Your Mark"

If you have gone as far as reaching this site, the clip should be very accessible to you.

As for purchasing a copy of the short film, I am afraid there are only VCRs available in Japan. As they were released quite some time ago, they may already be out-of-print. Anyway you may try your luck in Amazon Japan or some auction sites.

quote:
i wonder if there will be a sequil but there is never a sequil to any anime caus it is usaly very bad

I think the movie in itself is pretty much concluded with the opened knots properply tied up. Therefore there is little room for developing a sequel of the current story line. Also, Miyazaki has openly stated for numerous times that he has no interest in making any sequel. So I don't think it is possible for us to see a sequel of Mononoke, at least in the near future.

quote:
have u ever heard of jo hasi (sry for the spelling summer does that to u)

You really should curse the summer . I suppose you mean "Joe Hisaishi," the composer of the scores in most of the Miyazaki films. I have a nice collection of his Ghibli CDs, and over 90% of the tracks in my MP3 player are his works.

07.11.2005, 09:17 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
randorp
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by randorp Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I wonder is the CDs u have sell in the US cause i cant find any .

I get all my music pic of limewire (kinda like kazza but a little more legal) but u never get the whole sound track just one song

quote:
Originally posted by Jiji

If you have gone as far as reaching this site, the clip should be very accessible to you.

no its not i need help. were did u see it

07.11.2005, 09:27 PM randorp is offline   Profile for randorp Add randorp to your buddy list Send an Email to randorp Homepage of randorp AIM Screenname: FireFox1012
Jiji
Oldie newbie

I do not live in the US so I am not sure if they are available in your state. But the local HMV store in my city have a few Ghibli CDs on sale, mainly the OST and image album of Nausicaa, Totoro, Laputa, Spirited Away and Howl.

I think you can try http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/ if the CDs are not available in your local stores and you would like to order them online.

btw you should check the film section of the main site.

07.12.2005, 06:20 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Yuki Rinehart
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.13.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yuki Rinehart Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

D: its extremely hard to find on your mark in the states...

And for the Ghibli CD's you can try that site that jiji gave ya and your local Japan Town..(im sures theres one around somewhere) or just keep goin at limewire ^^;

07.15.2005, 11:13 PM Yuki Rinehart is offline   Profile for Yuki Rinehart Add Yuki Rinehart to your buddy list Send an Email to Yuki Rinehart Add Yuki Rinehart to your contact list AIM Screenname: YukiRinehart YIM Screenname: YukiRinehart
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Anyway wish all of you good luck in getting your desired Ghibli CDs. They are certainly very hard to get hold of, but they do worth all the hassle .

Back to Mononoke, I wonder what do you feel about the ending? In one way, it seems that Ashitaka has succeeded in making both sides (San and Eboshi) understand the actions and intentions of the both side more. In another, it seems that Ashitaka has not much accomplishement. Tatara-Ba will continue to develop (even Ashitaka has turned to this side), while San will not forgive the humans and will devote herself to protect the forest. Future conflicts between the two is certain. Did Miyazaki want to tell us that there is no peaceful way to end a conflict?

07.16.2005, 01:36 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Yuki Rinehart
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.13.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yuki Rinehart Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The ending was ceartainly not my favorite. It kinda made things indecisive and i wanted to know what happend in the future with them. Kinda made me sad that San and ashitaka didnt end up living together in either the city or the forest :/

Post last edited by Yuki Rinehart on 07.16.2005, 07:13 PM.

07.16.2005, 07:10 PM Yuki Rinehart is offline   Profile for Yuki Rinehart Add Yuki Rinehart to your buddy list Send an Email to Yuki Rinehart Add Yuki Rinehart to your contact list AIM Screenname: YukiRinehart YIM Screenname: YukiRinehart
project2501
Tanuki

Registration Date: 07.16.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by project2501 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think Princess Mononoke is one of the best movies ever. After the first time i had seen this movie i loved it immediately. Above all i liked the wolves and the riding animal of Ashitaka.

07.16.2005, 09:51 PM project2501 is offline   Profile for project2501 Add project2501 to your buddy list Send an Email to project2501 Add project2501 to your contact list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

quote:
Originally posted by Yuki Rinehart
The ending was ceartainly not my favorite. It kinda made things indecisive and i wanted to know what happend in the future with them. Kinda made me sad that San and ashitaka didnt end up living together in either the city or the forest :/

Umm... maybe a totally happy ending with both the boy and the girl "live happily together forever" is far too Hollywood-esque. And Miyazaki wanted to show us something more realistic.

Still it is kinda sad to see Ashitaka and San not being able to live together because of the conflicts between man and nature.

quote:
Originally posted by project2501
I think Princess Mononoke is one of the best movies ever. After the first time i had seen this movie i loved it immediately. Above all i liked the wolves and the riding animal of Ashitaka.

Oh welcome! It's the first time I meet you in the forums.

Does the "riding animal" mean Yakkul? It is pretty cool and unqiue. Miyazaki said its design is for differentiating Ashitaka from the locals (which ride on horses). Actually its original idea was from Miyazaki's early 80s manga work, Shuna no Tabi. The animal in the manga was also called Yakkul.

07.17.2005, 03:12 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Konan
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jiji

no its not i need help. were did u see it

http://www.onlineghibli.com/forum/ogms.php?dl=1

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

07.17.2005, 07:58 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
randorp
Kodama

quote:
Originally posted by Konan

=( it doesnt work for Windows Media Player

07.19.2005, 08:10 PM randorp is offline   Profile for randorp Add randorp to your buddy list Send an Email to randorp Homepage of randorp AIM Screenname: FireFox1012
Konan
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:

Try Winamp -- you'll need DiVX installed.

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

07.19.2005, 08:21 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

quote:
quote:

As Konan pointed out, you have to have DivX installed in order to play the short video properly. You can download the codec for free in divx.com.

07.20.2005, 12:41 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
project2501
Tanuki

Registration Date: 07.16.05
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by project2501 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi

On Your Mark is so cool. Was that a short version of a Ghibli movie or is it only a shortfilm. I like especially the one of the both friends who have always a big smile in his face. And I like the girl with wings.

07.24.2005, 10:00 AM project2501 is offline   Profile for project2501 Add project2501 to your buddy list Send an Email to project2501 Add project2501 to your contact list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

quote:
Originally posted by project2501
Hi

On Your Mark is so cool. Was that a short version of a Ghibli movie or is it only a shortfilm. I like especially the one of the both friends who have always a big smile in his face. And I like the girl with wings.

Hi there . As far as I know On Your Mark is a complete short movie in itself, instead of a trailer or an extract of any feature movie.

I like all three of the major characters. The cops are cool (the one with shades is sometimes comical ) and winged girl is lovable.

07.24.2005, 11:08 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
kellevand
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.24.05
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kellevand Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Princess Mononoke is one of my favorite anime. Great drawings, great music, great story. Mhm I just love it ;D

About the ending: i really don't find it sad nor pesimistic. San and Ashitaka would live together despite San's hatness to people. Alsoe Eboshi is telling that they will build "new" town. Maybe word "new" doesn't mean only rebuilt of old iron town but "new" town with new ideology etc. However, this is only what i'm thinking ;D Nobody knows (hmm maybe only Miyazaki knows ) what would happen in future.

P.S But how much pleasure we gain talking about possible endings ;D
P.S II This is my first post on this forum so i would like to greet every Miyazaki & Studio Ghibli fan ;D
P.S III And sory for my bad english - i didn'use it for some time.

07.24.2005, 04:38 PM kellevand is offline   Profile for kellevand Add kellevand to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

I am afraid San and Ashitaka would not be able to live together. At the end Ashitaka decided to live in Tatara-Ba, while San, whose hatred towards the humans had not yet faded away, was still determined to stay in the forest. The two only promised to each other that they would visit each other every now and then.

I really hope that the "new" town would be in the way you described. Prolong peace and coexistence could never be ensured unless both sides could find the ways of toleratiing and understanding each other. I hate to see conflicts arise again on the young soil which had only begun its recovery.

And last but no the least, welcome to the forums ! Your English is not bad. At least I can understand your words with no trouble at all.

07.25.2005, 07:00 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
randorp
Kodama

i belive that they might end up living together cus ashitaka sayed that he was going to help rebuild iron town but he didnt say what he would do after that. he cant go back to his village

Post last edited by randorp on 07.25.2005, 11:06 AM.

07.25.2005, 11:06 AM randorp is offline   Profile for randorp Add randorp to your buddy list Send an Email to randorp Homepage of randorp AIM Screenname: FireFox1012
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks