QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Grave of the fireflies *spoiler*
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Grave of the fireflies *spoiler* » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  Grave of the fireflies *spoiler*Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

In many of the reviews of Grave of the fireflies that I've read/heard the reviewer seems to think that it's Seita's fault that little Setsuko dies. In my Ghibli book the authors even write that Seita killed his little sister. I have a really hard time grasping this concept. For me, the message of the movie seems to be that in war, it's always the weakest who suffer most. Seita is no hero (there are no heroes in Takahata's movies) but he's not a villain either. He's just a young boy trying to make the best of an impossible situation. Sure, he makes some unwise choices, but hey, he's like 12-14 years old. I've always understood the movie so that Seita is as much a victim as Setsuko. What do you think about this common conception of Setsuko's death being Seita's fault?

Post last edited by Heidi80 on 08.06.2012, 08:53 AM.

08.06.2012, 08:52 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Seita is responsible for his sister and he tries his best with the knowledge that he has as a young teenager and unfortunately, that isn't enough...

Other than that, I see no blame attaching to him at all, just an unfortunate set of circumstances. If anything, I tend to put blame on his Aunt... It wasn't the children's fault that they were in the predicament that they were in.

08.06.2012, 01:56 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I do not think it is the fault of seita only

as most of the people[who say it was seita's fault] are not from asia they do not know the feel of the bad behavior of their aunt. As seita's father was a big officer. So he was not poor. So he had that pride inside him. Deprivation of people[relatives] in Asia is something i am ashamed of. It is present in all asian country where there is micro family. Actually if anything could be blamed it should be the war and the micro family system

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

08.06.2012, 02:04 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's not so much of him literally killing his sister, it's that he feels responsible for her death. It's more along the line of, "It's my fault that she died; I killed her," implying that his negligence was the cause of her death.

It's not exactly an uncommon situation, really. You see in the news how a mother blames herself when her child turns into a serial killer, even though she had no idea.

The idea that Seita is at fault lies in the fact that his pride led him to run away from a safe home, no matter how badly he was treated (not very bad actually, considering the situation), and Setsuko was simply dragged into the continually worsening situation, which caused her death. Even one of the characters he met in the story told him to suck up his pride and go home to his aunt's house for Setsuko's sake, but he never did. Presumably, his pride simply did not allow him to do so.

We have to remember that the Japanese at that time were pretty much brainwashed to have Samurai-level pride; pride in their country's strength, pride in their social standing. Seita's pride was simply that.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.06.2012, 10:41 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree that it is partly the aunts fault because of the way she treated them it lead to pushing them away from there family but you could blame seita for the fact that he left the aunts house taking setsuko with him without proper preperation I always understood it that he couldn't swallow his pride and therefore left!! In the long run leading to the death of setsuko!!

08.18.2012, 06:20 AM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
frdniamorgan
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.14.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by frdniamorgan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

But it's yet not confirm, we have to watch out more. We couldn't blame Seita for everything...

09.14.2012, 08:40 AM frdniamorgan is offline   Profile for frdniamorgan Add frdniamorgan to your buddy list
JohnF(Boulder, CO)
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 11.20.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by JohnF(Boulder, CO) Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Though he did attempt to take them out alone, out of pride, and he did seem to delay in trying to get help, he did try. Well before she got really serious. Where he went was useless. They did nothing but push him on out the door. It's questionable whether there was any other option possible to him in that situation. Give her to an orphanage that might send him elsewhere because he was so much older? Maybe his only other choice, if it was even available.

I haven't heard anything more specific on the original story, other than the author's little sister died on malnourishment and lack of care during that time. No clue if it was such an extreme situation, of two kids alone.

While watching the final scenes, I felt it was his reluctance to seek help, but he never even discussed of looked for anything he could have done, besides try on his own. At the very end, I no longer felt it was his fault; rather the situation.

11.20.2012, 02:29 AM JohnF(Boulder, CO) is offline   Profile for JohnF(Boulder, CO) Add JohnF(Boulder, CO) to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What annoyed me was how it took him so long to guy buy the food. I know he had to conserve money but his sister was sick and food was the only way to help.

11.20.2012, 02:32 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Heidi80
In many of the reviews of Grave of the fireflies that I've read/heard the reviewer seems to think that it's Seita's fault that little Setsuko dies. In my Ghibli book the authors even write that Seita killed his little sister. I have a really hard time grasping this concept. For me, the message of the movie seems to be that in war, it's always the weakest who suffer most. Seita is no hero (there are no heroes in Takahata's movies) but he's not a villain either. He's just a young boy trying to make the best of an impossible situation. Sure, he makes some unwise choices, but hey, he's like 12-14 years old. I've always understood the movie so that Seita is as much a victim as Setsuko. What do you think about this common conception of Setsuko's death being Seita's fault?

It's hard to argue with the author. The story is semi-autobiographical as his younger sister died in similar circumstances. He blamed himself and was a bit surprised that the movie audiences didn't feel he was to blame.

I don't see the film as anti-war, but more a story of human nature when things get really tough. In a way, it's like every film version involving the Titanic. The iceberg in those films, much like the war in Grave, merely set the stage for the human drama that was to play out.

12.13.2012, 04:29 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks