QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Disney decided to do with the US version of Arrietty
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » What Disney decided to do with the US version of Arrietty » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.12.11
What Disney decided to do with the US version of ArriettyPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jxudo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't know if this is a topic that was already mentioned or not, I didn't see anything about it.

Anyway, I'm a little angry with what Disney decided to do with the US version of The Borrower Arrietty.
First of all, they changed the theme of the film with some Disney Channel actors pop song. It didn't fit the movie in the least bit. They just did it to try and get the girl more popular in my opinion.
Second of all, they used the sneak peak section of the DVD to spam crap for Disney Channel.
In my opinion this was very, very disrespectful to such a great studio.

Am I the only one ticked off at this?

08.09.2012, 07:53 PM Jxudo is offline   Profile for Jxudo Add Jxudo to your buddy list Homepage of Jxudo
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Really? Is there a link on youtube we can see this?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.09.2012, 11:46 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Jxudo
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jxudo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Really? Is there a link on youtube we can see this?

Well I can't really show you the spamming they did, but here's the music video they made to "replace" the actual movie's theme. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7uNDK6Yy2c

08.10.2012, 12:13 AM Jxudo is offline   Profile for Jxudo Add Jxudo to your buddy list Homepage of Jxudo
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That sounds a bit annoying. I wouldn't want disney ads on my ghibli dvd :/

I like Madman entertainment, they distribute ghibli well in Australia. Only problem is they do it expensively lol!

08.10.2012, 08:16 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Cecile Corbel has sung the Arrietty's theme in English.

Am I missing something here?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.10.2012, 01:52 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Having seen the American DVD, I can't recall the original theme being replaced. They did insert that awful generic pop song in the end credits after Cecile Corbel's song had finished, I think. As for the Disney Channel advertisements, haven't they done that on other DVDs?

I would never say that Disney's done a perfect job with Ghibli DVDs - I'm annoyed by the same things that Jxudo is - but I wouldn't cite this particular DVD as an egregious example. It seems like a pretty typical Disney release to me.

I will say that while the pop song is dreadful, the Disney Channel starlet-of-the-week they got to do Arietty's voice was very solid in the role. So while there was probably some ulterior motivation it was still a wise casting decision.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 08.10.2012, 02:15 PM.

08.10.2012, 02:11 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

So Arrietty's theme song remained, except there was an additional song at the end? That sounds okay then.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.10.2012, 10:26 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haven't seen the American version yet...

08.11.2012, 01:35 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The thing is It is actually Pixar that made possible the deal between ghibli and disney

Now as a matter of fact Disney[Not Disney Studio] is a production company. So the main thing it is looking for is business.

This is the part that is very problematic to understand. The walt disney[mickey mouse creator and his studio] we know and the disney company is very different. So is all the studios that is under disney. Disney has a very very bad habit of destroying Studios. One of the most famous example is Miramax. Miramax studio was one of the very best independent studio[almost like studio ghibli, cuase although ghibli is under tokuma shoten it never ever interferes with its art and development division. the only place it works is advertising and for the record tokuma was about to be bankrupt but ghibli's back to back blockbuster saved the company] and has so many great tittles like chicago, pulp fiction etc. Now as Disney company always want to maximize the profit it tries to change the element of the movies[just like fan service]. This usually works to increase the income but greatly lessens the quality of the movie thus lessening the quality of the studio.So even after making such a quality dub like Princess Mononoke disney did not advertised it cause it thought it will not gather enough revenue. And sold the company in 2010 after disney saw that it used up all the potential.

We all know what a kind of studio Pixar is. It is only animation studio that i admire after Ghibli and before i knew ablout ghibli i only respected this studio. They produced such titles like toy story, up, wall-e. On the other hand disney made them to make titles like the incredibles, which is financially successful and also popular, but it does not have art. This is purely because of money. So as a matter of fact it will lose viewers in the long run.

Now there are actually two or three english version of Arriety Uk , Us and possibly another after watching two of them[US and UK].
I think the disney influence is increasing in the films of studio ghibli.

The earlier films of studio ghibli like lapuata, nausicaa,spirited away and specially howl was great in dubs cause Pixar paid special attention to the dubs. But it is not always possible. based on my judgement the english language skill of studio ghibli is nearly zero. So they will not understand the difference of english dub and commecial english dub. That is what happening in the films. it happened in Ponyo and Arriety.

But the song is original it is the same singer who sang all the versions. So i can not feel cheated.

This influence of commercialization is not good for any studio. Now the theatrical release of ghibli films is on Gkids. So we have to see what kind of dubs they do. But i doubt that it will be any good than disney.

So what is the conclusion should we see the carefully done but commercialized dubs or bad dubs done by some random company or just watch it in subs where we do not understand the expression of the language.

All these things actually turns us back into the Sub vs Dub debate

which was actually the very first post of myself in this forum.Link

Here is another great thread by calforsale

about ads, even the ghibli ads are quite remarkable[they make a lots of ad] so if disney really wishes to advertise they just need to ask ghibli. LOL

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 08.11.2012, 05:43 AM.

08.11.2012, 02:50 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Mokiepoet
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.23.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mokiepoet Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I found the music to be annoying, but I knew it wasn't Bridget Mendler singing it because my 10 yr old likes her music and she doesn't sound anything like that.

"We're all born with selfish desires, so we can all relate to those feelings in others. But kindness is something made individually by each person...so it's easy to misunderstand when others are trying to be kind to you." Natsuki

Post last edited by Mokiepoet on 08.12.2012, 11:26 AM.

08.12.2012, 11:24 AM Mokiepoet is offline   Profile for Mokiepoet Add Mokiepoet to your buddy list
Jxudo
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jxudo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The main thing that makes me angry, is that disney actually had the nerve to do this. I liked it better when Ghibli's movies were being distributed by Buena Vista here in the US.

08.13.2012, 01:09 AM Jxudo is offline   Profile for Jxudo Add Jxudo to your buddy list Homepage of Jxudo
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

fair enough

08.13.2012, 02:49 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks