QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - That's amazing
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » That's amazing » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Twenty seconds into that video, my mouth was already gaping... for the wrong reasons.

My god, dude, WORKSHOP SAFETY! Bare hands on wood? Elbow near the driving belt? The horror!!!

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.02.2015, 10:08 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I got the impression the dude knew what he was doing

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.02.2015, 10:18 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This was sent to me by a former Navy friend.

You gotta watch it to the end...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/75X7G-38xBk

I loved watching the reactions of the people...

Sidenote:

Practice listening to Japanese speech...

I've now seen this three times...

Post last edited by husky51 on 01.07.2015, 01:40 PM.

01.07.2015, 01:33 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
potatotarzan
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.02.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by potatotarzan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Lol, this is great. I especially love how he keeps giving that thumbs up to the camera! It left me wondering how much of it he was doing himself and how much the TV people did. (if any)

01.08.2015, 01:29 AM potatotarzan is offline   Profile for potatotarzan Add potatotarzan to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ahahahahaha, I'd love to drive one of these...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rKPsFpJ...player_embedded

=============================================

Tour of the International Space Station

At the end of the video there is about twelve more videos I think they are as interesting as this one sit back and enjoy twenty-five minutes of information

http://www.youtube.com/embed/doN4t5NKW-k

Post last edited by husky51 on 01.08.2015, 02:36 AM.

01.08.2015, 02:05 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Another one of my old shipmates sent me this one... Cute! And a good airline service...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/NK-T_t166TY...player_embedded

01.08.2015, 06:59 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Awwww....

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.09.2015, 04:15 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Awwww....

My sentiments, exactly, Saddles... The dog I had the longest in my life was a beagle mix...

01.09.2015, 10:17 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

At the turn of the 20th century, Japanese coastal whaling received a boost with the introduction of steam ships and grenade-tipped harpoon guns. However, it wasn't until 1934 that Japan expanded its whaling to Antarctica. Whales helped keep Japanese citizens fed both during and after World War 2. In 1947 whale meat made up almost half of all animal protein consumed by the country. Nearly 20 years later, whales continued to make up nearly one-quarter of the Japanese diet.

Japanese Culture and Pride
This history is an important part of why the Japanese continue to hunt whales. Attempts to stop the nation's whaling are perceived by many as a threat to Japanese culture. According to its defenders, eating whale meat is an old and impenetrable Japanese tradition. "No one has the right to criticize the food culture of another people," said Matayuki Komatsu of Japan's Fisheries Agency.
A sense of pride also fuels Japan's commitment to whaling. To some, the words and actions of those who oppose Japanese whaling are "culturally arrogant" and unnecessarily harsh. This only serves to strengthen the country's resolve to maintain its whaling, according to some.

NB: This is not a critic nor endorsement about Japanese whale hunting. I just found the facts amazing

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 04.21.2015, 03:05 AM.

04.21.2015, 03:03 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's definitely a complicated issue, and one where different countries are held to different standard. But I'm wondering where you got this from? Especially for the part in bold I would be very interested in seeing some kind of source.

04.21.2015, 09:30 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

A significant percentage of the Japanese diet/food industry comprises seafood of one kind or another. I don't understand the need to hunt whales when there are other abundant forms of aquatic life.

I'm also suspicious of that 1947 figure. Why weren't Japanese fishing boats catching other types of sea life?

The problem is if you accept the Japanese argument for hunting whale ("we do it because we've always done it" ) you start down a very slippery slope to allowing other cruel acts - the Chinese medicinal trade would have a field day with this legal precedent.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 04.21.2015, 11:01 AM.

04.21.2015, 11:00 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

if you guys[i dont know about arren] are suspicious thats very illogical cause i did not ever wrote here anything without solid proof[unless that is a personal opinion][i dont know why even knowing that you guys do this, you could just say can we get the details please, which is basically the same thing][however i forgive you]

i stated here[actually copied] from animalplanet.com

which is 100% authentic site from discovery

http://who.is/whois/animalplanet.com/

and here is the link

http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/wha...se-hunt-whales/

[i dont know if you have watched the series whale wars, i watched some of the episodes, they were action-packed, not recently]

i think you guys remember the environmental terrorist group from famous Cowboy Bebop

this group is the equivalent to that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Shepher...rvation_Society

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 04.21.2015, 11:45 AM.

04.21.2015, 11:35 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think it's natural to be a little suspicious about such huge numbers without an explanation of where they came from. I wasn't wanting to argue about it though - I genuinely wanted to see this information.

The added details about the war and whaling in Antarctica explain it though. Especially the war, since even though I know 1947 was just after the war, it didn't occur to me that food shortages at that time would mean whale would be such a major source of protein.

As for Saddles's point on the "we do it because we've always done it" argument, this is the same argument used by other cultures who have been legally given quotas for whaling, so that they can continue to hunt whales in a sustainable way that still protects endangered species. The background regarding Japan's situation is quite complex, but what it boils down to is that they were not in a position to negotiate the agreement and therefore had to resort to the "scientific research" excuse. This means they continue hunting in a non-sustainable way, because they weren't able to be included in the agreement that covers Norway, Iceland and various other cultures like several Canadian and American aboriginal groups.

04.21.2015, 12:44 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

I recently, well, last year, saw a documentary about pilot whale hunting in, I believe, the Faroes Islands??? It was explained that with no other viable animal protein available to the islanders, this was something that was developed to cover that lack. Importing meats from outside the Islands was simply too expensive.

As for the Sea Shepard people on the ships, I have an issue with purposely running into a ship for any reason not connected with a war. Yes, some might say that this is a 'war' of sorts, but not against humans. To risk the lives of both the crews of Sea Shepard and the Japanese whalers is totally out of line in my opinion.

And the Sea Shepard's leader, forget his name, saying that he did not ram the other ship was a lie. I've conned ships in my life time and they do not steer like a car. In the film, there was a distinct action on the part of the captain of the Sea Shepard ship directing it against the whaling vessel by his own hand that was caught on film.

If you can obstruct the operations of another vessel without contact, that is one thing, but to deliberately ram the other ship and jeopardize the lives of your own crew and the other vessel, I just don't see it. The sea is a tough master and to put people in the water just because you don't like what they are doing, no, absolutely not.

My views may upset some people and I am sorry for that, but I wouldn't be honest with you or myself if I did otherwise.

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.21.2015, 01:43 PM.

04.21.2015, 01:15 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

I think you're quite right! That kind of dangerous, even violent behaviour is not okay. An issue I have with very radical animal rights groups like these is that in their pursuit of protecting animal life they seem to have forgotten about human life.

04.21.2015, 03:04 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

@husky
who the hell is going to disagree with you. you are definitely right.

i am a little familier with big ship (just not in sea) i know how exactly can you bash another ship. as a matter of fact i happened to be in such an accident. They ARE terrorist just a little less violent.

@arren

japan has a commercial whale industry. So it is like chicken or beef to them. thats the fact , they want a lot. But whales are limited i(it seems big animals dont like to reproduce much, with the exception if human). Their research is to put a limit on the hunting. However normally in these cases in asia we just do it. dont care who says what. this behavior is like software piracy in bangladesh(or south asia), product piracy in china and illigal whale hunting in japan. In society when sometimes you need something you cant afford it just becomes a open secret crime.

you might think why it does not happen in western world. two reasons number one is they control these policies(its a fact and i know you wont agree even if i give millions of evidence). number two they just make that a new law , weed being the best example in recent time. its just geopolitics really really complicated stuff.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 04.21.2015, 03:51 PM.

04.21.2015, 03:38 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

The sad thing is that they do these deeds in the belief of doing the right thing for all and there is not much that can be said to them to change their minds in their righteousness.

'nuff said, I'll say no more...

hahaha, just finished watching "Song of the Sea" again and my last sentence sounds Irish to me, lol...

04.21.2015, 03:50 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
The sad thing is that they do these deeds in the belief of doing the right thing for all and there is not much that can be said to them to change their minds in their righteousness.

'nuff said, I'll say no more...

hahaha, just finished watching "Song of the Sea" again and my last sentence sounds Irish to me, lol...

right, all the terrorist do that, their ****ing self righteousness.

which reminds of the debate i was doing with mush about universility of truth. that did not end so i dont know the arguments of both sides.

[side note is today is earth day, not that i posted these keeping that in my mind, its a coincidence]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 04.21.2015, 04:17 PM.

04.21.2015, 03:56 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yuumei continues to blow me away with her beautiful art.

It would be all over my walls if I had the money to spare.

My Anime List

05.01.2015, 05:39 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

The depth of field effects and reflections are amazing. Pretty colours too.

05.01.2015, 07:13 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks