QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - That's amazing
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » That's amazing » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks Arren, what an awesome find, she's either a genius at dry humour or just a very odd person.

I laughed at some of the comments:

"The internet is filled with many wonders."

"This broke my daughter's brain."

"The wtf is strong in this one."

"Before I could only do rooster massages, now I know how to do opposum massages."

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.03.2014, 08:30 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That is a very docile possum.... Last one I saw was cornered in a yard next to a house and it wasn't in a very good mood, believe me. lol

06.03.2014, 01:26 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just saw this online and this girl is fantastic. A 7-yr old black-belt in Karate. Her movements are so crisp. I went to youtube and found one of her at 6YO demonstrating two different styles and even then she was good. There was another clip of her working with a 3YO (white-belt) in a maneuver.

http://youtu.be/65QCHZDXKmA

I would not want to be the bully that mistakenly picked on this girl...

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.05.2014, 03:16 PM.

06.05.2014, 03:13 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The best fighters have really lousy forms. Juz sayin'.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.05.2014, 11:53 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

06.23.2014, 12:10 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

http://www.sadanduseless.com/2014/06/awk...wxWAySl61hrQ.01

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

06.28.2014, 02:03 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.01.2014, 11:29 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

07.01.2014, 11:30 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haha, I think I saw that comparison before. In fact, I seem to remember seeing a lengthy post full of gifs referencing that shot from Akira.

07.01.2014, 11:35 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Whoa. Never saw that. But isn't bike-sliding (is that a term?) a pretty common thing to see in anime? I recall several mundane scenes like that in several titles.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.01.2014, 11:38 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's true that people do unbelievable things in anime as commonplace actions, but that particular clip has been recreated many times as an homage to the original. There's a good chance that some of the others you've seen were also references to it.

07.01.2014, 11:45 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Its a homage/reference. Same 'roadway' with vertical walling, same three dust trails from tyres and boot, very similar trail of sparks, white headlight and red tail light (on a pedalbike in daytime?), same angry young man. LOL.

What annoys me is I watched Akira and Bake around 8-10 times each and never made this connection myself

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.01.2014, 11:55 AM.

07.01.2014, 11:53 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

I remember the scene from Akira, but I at a loss for the 'Bake' reference???

07.01.2014, 04:05 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Bakemonogatari. I can't remember which episode. Towards the end of series 1 I think.

07.02.2014, 05:01 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

OK, I've seen the title many times before, But I don't believe I've ever seen the series...

07.02.2014, 08:05 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Well, you really should. I rate it in my top 5 anime series of all time. Its so stylish there's no word to describe it. Its also one of those series that you can't fully enjoy until you've watched it 3 or 4 times. There's things going on with certain characters in series 1 that aren't fully explained until series 4, so you watch it over a number of YEARS then go back to rewatch the first series and go "AH! Now that was why that happened!"

I love shows like this that you can endlessly pull apart and never reach the bottom of.

There's been 4 seasons so far with a short 5th one this summer.

1) Bakemonogatari (15eps)
2) Nisemonogatari (11 eps)
3) Nekomonogatari Kuro (4 eps - but usually shown as 1 movie)
4) Bakemonogatari Second Season (26 eps)

Showing in 2014

5) Hanamonogatari (5 eps)

07.02.2014, 09:53 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah we are controlled by Very Small Number of Mega Corporation.

here is the full article

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/fascinating-gr...dium=socialflow

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 07.03.2014, 05:29 AM.

07.03.2014, 05:28 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Why do you keep using this forum to constantly peddle your politics? Go and do it on a bigger forum where you'll get seen by 50x the people.

International and globalisation is how modern big business works. I've been involved in it all my life. Almost all sub-companies have great autonomy and freedom of operation. There's nothing amazing about it.

It's not "control" either.

Below the big corporate layer there are still millions of small companies not affiliated with the big ones. If it bothers you just go shop there I say.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.03.2014, 07:25 AM.

07.03.2014, 06:45 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

For the past week I've been moving out of my old student house into my new one, which is without internet access. So, I won't be able to post until Sunday, at which point I will catch up on the anime club also! So please excuse me until then~

07.03.2014, 08:18 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

All pencil drawings.

http://cathriley.com/gallery/miscellaneous

07.03.2014, 08:48 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    ...  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks