QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Kiki's city
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Kiki's city Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.24.05
  Kiki's cityPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ghibliniano Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw Kiki's delivery service first time some days ago, and am wondering if the city where the movie takes place is a real one they used to base drawings in it. Anyone can tell, please?

As far as I know it is an island from Hawai, called Maui, is that so?

Has it something to do with the Maui Film Festival?

Thanks

07.25.2005, 04:51 AM ghibliniano is offline   Profile for ghibliniano Add ghibliniano to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi! Nice to meet you!

The city is called Koriko. Yet I am sure you can never find it in your own world map as it is in an alternate parallel universe (where witches can freely fly around without worrying about being caught and burnt to death).

Koriko is believed to be an European city if it existed in this world. According to the art book of Kiki, Miyazaki gained the inspiration of the city from a number of European city, like Paris, Lisbon, Napoli, and even San Francisco. But it is believed that Visby and Stockholm had the heaviest influence on the outlook of the city, as Miyazaki and the major staff members visited these cities and shot rolls of photos before producing Kiki.

As for Maui, the only thing that I can connect it to Ghibli is the Maui Film Festival which shown the premiere of Howl. As far as I know it is in no way connected to Koriko.

The Koriko city map (posted by Nanashi some time ago )

07.25.2005, 06:47 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
ghibliniano
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ghibliniano Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi Jiji,

Thanks a lot for your answer, and nice to meet you too. My first post in this forum and didn't say hi or something. So, hi to everyone. Nice to join this forum!

I got the idea of Maui from the map Kiki takes out in her way to her first delivery. There appear some names, I saw there the name Wailuku, and other names. Wailuku seems to be a city in Malui. In the map appear as well the letter "ui", so I supposed it was the last part of Maui. Other names in the map seems to be from there too.

See you

07.25.2005, 03:35 PM ghibliniano is offline   Profile for ghibliniano Add ghibliniano to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's an interesting observation. You are right about "UI" and "Wailuku." I have never thought about that .

In my impression, a Hawaiian island should have at least a palm tree on the seaside (forgive me if this sounds stupid, I have never visited Hawaii ^^;; ), and I can see no distinct Hawaiian features in Koriko. It seems that one side of Koriko faces the Baltic, while the other faces the Mediterranean (yea I know it does not make much sense either ^^)

Also, in the movie, Kiki was born in the village that is far far away from the sea. Thus she flew all the way to the South to find a scenic seaside town. But Maui is an island in the middle of the Pacific. I cannot recall seeing her flying across the ocean for a very great distance (which should take quite a number of days if she was from Alaska ^^).

Click on the images below if you'd like to see them more clearly.

Kiki's map

The Koriko Western coast

The Koriko Eastern coast

A photo of Maui from google

07.25.2005, 05:38 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
ghibliniano
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ghibliniano Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Probably they just took some names from there.

Anyway, its so much beautiful a city, I love it, all the details and how well its done.

07.26.2005, 01:26 AM ghibliniano is offline   Profile for ghibliniano Add ghibliniano to your buddy list
nanashi
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.27.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

found in net
Visby

Stockholm

07.26.2005, 02:32 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
ghibliniano
Susuwatari

They look a lot like Kiki's city!.

Thanks for sending nanashi.

07.26.2005, 04:37 PM ghibliniano is offline   Profile for ghibliniano Add ghibliniano to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks