QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - laputa, original dub
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » laputa, original dub » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 11.29.12
laputa, original dubPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by bluejem Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hi everyone! does anyone know where i might possibly get a copy of the original dub of laputa (aka castle in the sky)? i had a VHS copy for years that my dad taped off the tv, which i then got transfered to DVD for my kids. the DVD was recently stolen and i hadn't had a chance to transfer it again before my 2 year old got hold of the VHS and ruined it. I can't stand the new version after seeing one version all my life. can anyone help?

11.29.2012, 05:55 PM bluejem is offline   Profile for bluejem Add bluejem to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't know offhand, bluejam, but I am sure that some of us in here are thinking about it...

Welcome to the Tavern, BTW...

Good Luck.

11.29.2012, 08:29 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i have it

will let you know dont worry

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

11.29.2012, 11:39 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What are some differences between the versions?

12.02.2012, 06:24 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Doesn't the Japanese DVD use the old dub? I don't have the Disney version to compare, but I think that's it.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

12.02.2012, 08:33 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Doesn't the Japanese DVD use the old dub? I don't have the Disney version to compare, but I think that's it.

No
I think it is the disney dub they use. If it is not made before 2004-5.

It is not verified who made the Stremeline or the old dub. In wikipedia it is said that stremeline already found the dubbed audio with it and they just released it in us. However the dub was almost studio quality. So i doubt if studio ghibli had done it cause reportedly the next film of hayao miyazaki is the first of that area that a english script already underway. (poppy hill dub will be done by gkids) And by their english knowledge i think they did not even thought about it.Plus the money problem studio had then. Oh i forgot i think it is the stremeline that made the dub. problem is they started doing that before the licensed it so what they were doing is wrong also if you remember the recognition of stremeline as one of the first foreign animation movie dubbing studio and their work in 80s and 90s then it is obvious.(nb: i was not even born in 80s and in 90s i was a kid who... however although we were not rich there was a vhs player in my grandfather's [my mother's father my grandparents from my father's side was already dead before i had knowledge.I love them very very much.When my grandmother died in my lap i was .. sorry to bother you](you can say that that is my house too cause my relationship with my grandfather is really undescribeable. i stayed six years there when my father and mother needed to stay in different districts of the country but i needed stability as those classes were important for my science basics))
house but i only saw cartoon in in cartoon network then.

The version i have is vhs to laserdisk to dvd to my computer[you know what i mean] lol. I can post the audio .as always ghibli is cutless so if you have the bluray version of the video you can sync with it. It is more closer to the japanese dub. they tried to keep the broken childish voice before teenage from the original japanese dub. disney by changing voice they changed a children leterature into a teenage romantic adventure. The romantic theme was absent in the original one as i remember.

I need to know if someone need it cause i have to create a link from my file server. Thanks.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

12.02.2012, 10:00 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller

You are correct. I've got the Japanese Region 2 DVD and the old airline version dub is on it. While I was never impressed with the earlier dub, the Disney dub is AWFUL.

Post last edited by dballred on 12.13.2012, 04:19 AM.

12.13.2012, 04:17 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So i guess this is the disney dub? (says presented by walt Disney) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QSFyr1vxi4

This is whats in the Australian Madman DVD. I actually like the voices in this but i haven't seen the original dub so i can't compare.

Post last edited by Calforsale on 12.14.2012, 12:26 AM.

12.14.2012, 12:24 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks