QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Fleischer Bros. cartoon that influenced Laputa robots
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Fleischer Bros. cartoon that influenced Laputa robots Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  Fleischer Bros. cartoon that influenced Laputa robotsPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Here's a link to the episode of the Fleischer Bros. "Superman" episode "Mechanical Monsters", which Miyazaki cited as being a prime influence on the design of the robots in "Aloha, Beloved Lupin" and "Castle in the Sky".: http://www.archive.org/stream/mechanical_monsters_1941/mechanical_monsters_1941_256kb.mp4
For something from 1941, I must say that the animation is still excellent, very lifelike as it is rotoscoped i.e. traced over live actors, though admittedly not always that smooth. I can see why Miyazaki was so enthralled with the design of the robots. The story and characters were lame, of course, but I expected that.

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

07.28.2005, 09:39 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
nanashi
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.27.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank you for your introducing, Konan.

depending on the article of the magazine which i read in the past.
Mr.Miyazaki likes Fleischer more than Disney.
When he made last epsode of Lupin, he did not gather the data of "Mechanical Monsters".
He depended on his memory that in the past he saw it.

07.29.2005, 12:37 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
OYM Angel
Tanuki

Registration Date: 05.12.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OYM Angel Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I heard about this cartoon. I think I saw it once, a long time ago. It was really interesting.

07.29.2005, 11:43 PM OYM Angel is offline   Profile for OYM Angel Add OYM Angel to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks