QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Grave of the fireflies
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Grave of the fireflies » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 12.11.12
  Grave of the fireflies Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by payable in death Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Recently, I have gotten into Studio Ghibli films and so far in the past week, I have watched "Howls Moving Castle", "Laputa: Castle In the Sky", "Princess Mononoke", and "Grave of the Fireflies"

I was a bit skeptical to watch "Grave of the Fireflies", for it wasn't one of Studio Ghibli's greatest successes (so I saw online. Maybe I'm wrong?) , but I loved it! It is UNBELIEVABLE how under appreciated it is! I have NEVER, I'll repeat NEVER, cried during a movie, but by the end I was bawling. It was pretty bad.

I just wanted to know if anybody had mutual feelings? Have you seen it yet? Your favorite part? Just post any of your thoughts on the movie!

Happy typing!

12.11.2012, 11:44 PM payable in death is offline   Profile for payable in death Add payable in death to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi! Welcome to our forum!!!!!!

I really like Grave too, such a well done beautiful film. Its very sad though so I do not watch it all the time. I think my favourite scene would be when they bring all the fireflies into their little home.

12.12.2012, 02:22 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A very famous critic once named it "one of the best movies of all time" or something along that line.

*moves to ghibli page*

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

12.12.2012, 03:35 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.12.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

OH my! Went to the Chinatown in manhatten. THEY HAVE FRUIT DROP CANDIES WITH SETSUKO ON THE TIN. I bought 3 tins. All mine.
I hate Fireflies just as much as I love it. It is beautiful and depressing movie. I can't say which part is my favorite, because I love the whole thing.

12.12.2012, 03:38 PM San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g is offline   Profile for San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Add San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g to your buddy list Homepage of San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I cant say it exactly brought up much feelings inside me since i am used to that kind of film, But i still think its a great film one of the best quite easily.

12.12.2012, 06:29 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by payable in death
Recently, I have gotten into Studio Ghibli films and so far in the past week, I have watched "Howls Moving Castle", "Laputa: Castle In the Sky", "Princess Mononoke", and "Grave of the Fireflies"

I was a bit skeptical to watch "Grave of the Fireflies", for it wasn't one of Studio Ghibli's greatest successes (so I saw online. Maybe I'm wrong?) , but I loved it! It is UNBELIEVABLE how under appreciated it is! I have NEVER, I'll repeat NEVER, cried during a movie, but by the end I was bawling. It was pretty bad.

I just wanted to know if anybody had mutual feelings? Have you seen it yet? Your favorite part? Just post any of your thoughts on the movie!

Happy typing!

I didn't cry because I was too stunned to do anything in those few days after my first viewing. It's hard to cry when you're hit by a train.

While I can't make any claim to understand the true heart of a Japanese, I know enough, after decades of marriage to one and an equally long experience interacting with the Japanese, to be able to claim the aunt as one of the most evil characters ever portrayed in literature written in any language.

12.13.2012, 04:09 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
msteve60
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.30.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by msteve60 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by payable in death
I was a bit skeptical to watch "Grave of the Fireflies", for it wasn't one of Studio Ghibli's greatest successes (so I saw online. Maybe I'm wrong?) ,

I don't really think this is true. Grave of the Fireflies is widely regarded as one of the greatest movies of all time. It has an 8.5 on IMDb (second highest rating of the Ghibli movies), and like a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes. I think it's not that popular among Ghibli fans since it is so different from other Ghibli films, but as a stand alone film in its own right, it is very well-known and respected.

02.10.2017, 03:23 AM msteve60 is offline   Profile for msteve60 Add msteve60 to your buddy list
Seiji Amasawa
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Amasawa Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Theowne
Here's the list from the first post of the final ranking:

quote:

18th: Howl's Moving Castle
17th: The Cat Returns
16th: Tales from Earthsea
15th: Lupin the III: The Castle of Cagliostro
14th: Pom Poko
13th: My Neighbors the Yamadas
12th: Grave of the Fireflies
11th: Ocean Waves
10th: Porco Rosso
9th: Laputa: Castle in the Sky
8th: Whisper of the Heart
7th: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
6th: Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea
5th: Spirited Away
4th: Only Yesterday
3rd: Kiki's Delivery Service
2nd: Princess Mononoke
1st: My Neighbor Totoro

Draw whatever conclusion you'd like from that.

Only ever watched Grave of the Fireflies once, so many other better Ghibli Films to pick from. As you can see it never fares well in the Polls/Elimination Games. Far from the best film of all time.

02.21.2017, 12:45 AM Seiji Amasawa is offline   Profile for Seiji Amasawa Add Seiji Amasawa to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Long time no see, Seiji... Good to see you again...

I have said it before that I watched 'Grave of the Fireflies' once and it made a strong impression on me, but I will not watch it again... My reason?

Because of the ages between to boy and girl closely match my sister and mine in difference and I had much the same relationship with her and the boy in the film. For real, I had multiple dreams in my early years of having to climb a tall, tall ladder with a small round platform on top in order to spoon feed my sister. While feeding her she would always fall and I would DIVE hard from the top in order to beat her to the ground so she would land on me and be saved...

I felt too much of a connection to ever want to watch it again.

02.21.2017, 06:50 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
msteve60
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.30.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by msteve60 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Seiji Amasawa
quote:
Originally posted by Theowne
Here's the list from the first post of the final ranking:

quote:

18th: Howl's Moving Castle
17th: The Cat Returns
16th: Tales from Earthsea
15th: Lupin the III: The Castle of Cagliostro
14th: Pom Poko
13th: My Neighbors the Yamadas
12th: Grave of the Fireflies
11th: Ocean Waves
10th: Porco Rosso
9th: Laputa: Castle in the Sky
8th: Whisper of the Heart
7th: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
6th: Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea
5th: Spirited Away
4th: Only Yesterday
3rd: Kiki's Delivery Service
2nd: Princess Mononoke
1st: My Neighbor Totoro

Draw whatever conclusion you'd like from that.

Only ever watched Grave of the Fireflies once, so many other better Ghibli Films to pick from. As you can see it never fares well in the Polls/Elimination Games. Far from the best film of all time.

Not really sure why you think a poll on a Ghibli fan site among only a handful of people is in any way indicative of 'Grave of the Fireflies' status in the film world. I already said before that it is less popular among Ghibli fans because it is so different from other Ghibli films.

It has an 8.5 on IMDb with over 150,000 votes. It's ranked #57 in IMDb's top 250(the second highest of any anime film, and third highest of any animated film). It has a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes with a 9/10 average rating (highest of any Ghibli film). It's ranked # 98 on Douban's top 250 (China's IMDb) with a rating of 8.7 and nearly 200,000 votes. It was called one of the greatest war films of all time by Roger Ebert. If these things don't suggest "one of the greatest films of all time" to you, then I don't know what would. And I never claimed it was "the best film of all time", but it's easily in the top 250 of all time.

04.06.2017, 10:08 PM msteve60 is offline   Profile for msteve60 Add msteve60 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Good to see you again, msteve...

I watched it once, but as I've said before, it struck too close to home agewise with my sister and myself and far as the caring of little sisters go... I don't think that I'll watch it again simply for that reason...

04.07.2017, 03:07 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Seiji Amasawa
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Amasawa Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It may be considered a great film but I find a film greater that can be watched more then once. Spirited Away, Totoro these are great films as they can be watched over and over again. I don’t know many people that could sit there and watch Grave of the fireflies over an over again. The greatest films are watchable more then once. But hey whatever floats your boat, see what I did there Husky,

04.09.2017, 08:25 PM Seiji Amasawa is offline   Profile for Seiji Amasawa Add Seiji Amasawa to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

hahaha, yeah... proved my point that some ot the old-timer members are still hanging around... Or did you have another point to make???

04.09.2017, 10:23 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks