QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Anime music
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Anime music » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Anime musicPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I can't remember whether we had a thread like this before, but since we now have the Japanese music thread I thought it would be a good idea for something specific to anime soundtracks!

I'll start with a few of my favourites, and for now I'll stick with OP and ED songs. Also I'm not posting the full-length versions, because even though they are sometimes better (but not always! I'm often disappointed!) it's generally the shorter edits that I'm most familiar with.

Cowboy Bebop OP - Tank!

Neon Genesis Evangelion OP - Cruel Angel's Thesis

Revolutionary Girl Utena OP - Rinbu Revolution

UN-GO ED - Fantasy

Puella Magi Madoka Magica ED - Magia

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt ED - Fallen Angel

Post last edited by arren18 on 01.25.2013, 02:45 PM.

01.25.2013, 02:45 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Cowboy Bebop's entire soundtrack is incredible, and Tank! has got to be the greatest OP.

I'm kind of biased but I really love Haibane Renmei's OP. It's really different, nothing like your standard J-pop tune, and sets the mood for the show perfectly. The ending song really fits, too; it's a bit more like what you'd expect from an anime (it has singing, for one) but still really unusual.

I also like Lain's OP a lot. At first it seems like a strange choice, but it comes to weirdly embody the show after just a few episodes.

EDIT: Oh, and the Neon Genesis Evangelion OP, regardless of its actual quality as a song (I find the production kind of cheesy), is one of the most ridiculously catchy things ever written.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 01.25.2013, 07:31 PM.

01.25.2013, 07:26 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Great thread! Well done Arren!

Agreed on Bebop - the graphics of the OP song are stunning too.

One song I'll always adore because it was the first anime show I ever watched, the ED of Kare Kano. Different, and curious, camera work for each episode as well, until the money ran out.

Much of what I like is just J-Pop but I like the happy funky sounds and it cheers me up. Good examples:

The first ED theme from K-ON!. The first and second ED themes of the second series were just as much fun.

The ending theme of Bakemonogatari is stunning. Supercell can almost do nothing wrong and the voice of Ryo in the quiet section from 03:48 to 4:10 is so gorgeous it makes my toes curl.

Almost all the soundtrack from Beck

Finally, and maybe my favourite, AIR, another anime that had thoroughly beautiful music throughout:

Giniro

Giniro, Orgel Version

Natsukage

And the haunting and incomparable Aozora

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 09.25.2013, 08:00 PM.

01.26.2013, 02:14 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have to admit that I have never really paid a lot of attention to the music in any of the movies or series that I have watched. I do remember the Totoro theme because I've seen it so much and the Country Roads tune that runs through WotH. I'm aware of the music, but just don't pay mush attention to it...

Guess I am going to have to listen more attentively...

Post last edited by husky51 on 01.26.2013, 05:20 AM.

01.26.2013, 05:20 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

OreImo - Irony

I just love the lyrics, so sweet.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.26.2013, 08:02 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kiss Kiss Fall in Love, dun dun dun bum bum~
Ouran Host Club Theme

da da da da da da, dadada, dada daaaa~
Fruits Basket Theme

Death note~
Opening
I find this second song... so so sad.....
Rem

01.26.2013, 09:51 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So randomly, because I thought the OP was pretty cool, I gave the first episode of Revolutionary Girl Utena a shot. And . . . I think I actually like it, maybe enough to try watching the whole thing. It's a little more, well, a little more anime-style than what I usually like, and kind of dated, but the imagery and weirdness are really cool. I'm intrigued.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 01.26.2013, 09:53 AM.

01.26.2013, 09:52 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
The first ED theme from K-ON!. The first and second ED themes of the second series were just as much fun.

Good shout! I've never felt that the actual series was up my street, but the music is so catchy. Of those ones, I really like No Thank You. I'm also a big fan of Don't Say "Lazy". (edit: thanks to Saddles for the new link after the original was taken down!)

Out of the series I mentioned in the first post, ones that have generally great soundtracks are Cowboy Bebop (as everyone has said ), Utena, Madoka Magica and Panty and Stocking, each for very different reasons.

Some more songs that have occurred to me:
Ben-To OP - Live for Life (the full version because I couldn't find the OP itself)
Bakemonogatari OP 4 - Ren'ai Circulation (as cutesy as it is, I can't help liking it)
Ranma 1/2 OP 1 - Jajauma ni Sasenaide
Dirty Pair OP - Russian Roulette
Mirai Nikki OP 1 - Kusou Merosogiwi
God Knows, from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (not an OP or ED)

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
So randomly, because I thought the OP was pretty cool, I gave the first episode of Revolutionary Girl Utena a shot. And . . . I think I actually like it, maybe enough to try watching the whole thing. It's a little more, well, a little more anime-style than what I usually like, and kind of dated, but the imagery and weirdness are really cool. I'm intrigued.

I'm glad to hear it! Inevitably there are a lot of typical shoujo tropes, but it... doesn't exactly play out as one might expect. I was a little uncertain at the start, but a few episodes in I was hooked.

Post last edited by arren18 on 01.29.2013, 02:15 PM.

01.26.2013, 11:09 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The last insert song I counted down the release date: Parallel Sign by Lama <3 Lama so hard. This was from Eureka 7 Ao, but the first series E7 had some awesome stuff too.

Guilty Crown, despite being crap, had a nice ost.

Egoist always does amazing stuff, like the Psycho-pass ED

Even though it's in english, Ergo Proxy OP

Lain OP (acoustic) - Duvet by BoA

White Reflection from Gundam Wing

Kotoko <333 Onegai Sensei OP (oh, that's an amv with clips of the anime if anyone is concerned about spoilers and such)

Omg the RahXephon OP

Can't do without some of this Yoko Kanno - Strangers from Wolf's Rain

The GitS OP! Origa <3

I really liked the Last Exile ost

Hm, loved the .Hack//sign ost

Ahh the Escaflowne OST ... such goodness.

And then others that came to mind have been mentioned. ^^

01.26.2013, 02:14 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ahh I can't believe I forgot this!

Memories from the Kaiba ost
The ED

Holy crap, I love this is ost. I wish more people watched the show

And while I'm double posting anyway, Tsubasa Chronicles had a pretty awesome ost.
I talked to the rain

01.26.2013, 02:46 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
God Knows, from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (not an OP or ED)
Oh, my, how could I have forgotten that? Its one of the strongest highlights of one of the best anime series of all time. Good call for linking one of the best video versions of it as well (this is the full song which we don't hear in the anime but with various clips for the sequence used over to fill out the full track length).

Kyon's reaction at 1:14 is classic.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 01.26.2013, 09:35 PM.

01.26.2013, 09:34 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Orphic Okapi
Baron

WOW, that song from Tsubasa is something else.

01.26.2013, 10:03 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Yuki Kajiura knows her stuff xD Other stuff she did that I'm fond of: Madoka, Pandora Hearts, and Chrono Crusade... oh and My-hiME!

Ohh one of the best OST in recent years, I think, has been from Mawaru Penguindrum (which is also a really neat anime). I'd recommend listening to all of it xD

01.27.2013, 02:51 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

WOW! I forgot about the Suzumiya song from the show... That was good!!!

Poor Kyon is going, 'wtf!!!!!'

01.27.2013, 04:37 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Speaking of TRC, "You are my love" is a very sweet song, both the English and Japanese version

English version

Japanese version

It's especially beautiful not just because of the lyrics but because it is the only scene in the whole of the series where Sakura could remember her times with Syaoran.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.27.2013, 07:36 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This thread has so much concentrated awesomeness. I love so many of these! And so many that I haven't heard!

The Fruits Basket theme has such a comforting lullaby feel.

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
but just don't pay mush attention to it...
Thanks Husky, I'll take that as my cue to enter!
For now I'll just contribute this one...
Uninstall (from Bokurano) by Chiaki Ishikawa

Cruel Angel's Thesis never really caught on with me (something about the synth trumpets maybe). I couldn't enjoy it until I watched Evangelion recently, and whether it's due to mental association with the anime, or just the familiarity that comes with repetitive exposure, I'm not sure. But I enjoy it now ^^

01.27.2013, 06:21 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

hahaha, works for me, Mush... lol

I've got Fruits Basket and a few of the others... now I'm going to have to watch AND listen to see what I've been missing...

01.27.2013, 06:49 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

quote:
Originally posted by Mush
For now I'll just contribute this one...
Uninstall (from Bokurano) by Chiaki Ishikawa

Hehe just seeing the title gets me going... And this is such a fun thread, Arren!

This post is just OPs.

AIR Saddles mentioned AIR but don't think the OP was linked. So 2000feel if that makes sense ^^
Infinite Ryvius
True Tears
Zegapain
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
Visions of Escaflowne
Card Captor Sakura I am a dreamer~

Post last edited by fenkashi on 01.27.2013, 09:17 PM.

01.27.2013, 08:43 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by arren18 I've never felt that the actual series was up my street, but the music is so catchy. Of those ones, I really like No Thank You. I'm also a big fan of Don't Say "Lazy".
That link is already dead due to copyright action. Lots of anime music gets untouched on less popular sites

01.28.2013, 06:34 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Here's a few more, which are on the upbeat side:
Only my Railgun (To Aru Kagaku no Railgun) by fripside
Level 5 Judgelight (same)
Again (Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood) by YUI (you'll have to look farther for the full version though)

Post last edited by Mush on 01.28.2013, 09:08 PM.

01.28.2013, 09:08 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
[  1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks