QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Wolf Children
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Wolf Children » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  ]
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I recently saw the film after getting quite a few requests for a review on my website. My initial reactions are that I do agree that it is Hosoda's best, most complete effort and a likable film that, as leonbloy puts it, "leaves a good taste in the mouth". If I were to compare it against what I consider the best anime films, such as those of Miyazaki or Satoshi Kon, I would say that it is a more straightforward experience comparatively speaking. One develops a sense of where the film is headed and the film accomplishes that goal without any real flaws nor risks either. That is okay - it works as a fairy-tale story and the end product is a charming one.

Post last edited by Theowne on 01.07.2014, 09:07 PM.

12.26.2013, 03:51 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am thinking of getting the Collector's Edition with art cards, anyone else got it ?

01.07.2014, 07:48 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Arkadian
Calcifer

Registration Date: 05.09.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Arkadian Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just been to see this with my eldest daughter (AKA "the excuse", as it was showing early in the morning on a Sat )

In short, I LOVED it. I didn't know anything about it. I knew it was on, but I confused it with a Danish film on werewolves and I didn't care about that one. As soon I saw it was a (non Ghibli) anime I knew I had to go, especially because on IMDB the reviews were very good.

Anyway... perhaps it could have been a tad shorter, but in any case I recommend it wholeheartedly. I agree with the comments above about the film (character development, style and quality of animation, etc.), so I won't bore you with all the details. Also I have not seen the other films by the same director, so I cannot compare it to them either, but that matters not as I found it excellent.

Go and see it. I am planning to get the DVD or at the very least record it and keep it when it comes out on TV.

01.25.2014, 11:34 AM Arkadian is offline   Profile for Arkadian Add Arkadian to your buddy list Send an Email to Arkadian
Koda
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am going to order the collector's edition, I am convinced it looks soo good.

01.25.2014, 06:54 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Arkadian
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Arkadian Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A couple of questions...
Small spoiler alert!!!! Scroll down to read.

1) if a child in Japan stops attending school or indeed disappears altogether, nobody actually bothers? I thought that was quite odd
2) This could be a problem with the translation (I have seen the film in English): in the final speech Yuki says something like "it has been 10 years since I have left home at 12 to go to high school, and my mother still lives there,alone, but content", or something along these lines. If my calculations are correct, Hana would have been about 45 at the most, so pretty much still in her prime, instead that speech implied that she was an old woman ready to die any second now. Anyone else felt that that speech could have been concluded better?

End spoiler

01.27.2014, 09:40 AM Arkadian is offline   Profile for Arkadian Add Arkadian to your buddy list Send an Email to Arkadian
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ame was already not attending school for a while. His "disappearance" from school was hardly unknown.

Also, I don't see how that line, Japanese or English, implied in any way of her age.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.27.2014, 10:21 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Arkadian
Calcifer

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Ame was already not attending school for a while. His "disappearance" from school was hardly unknown.

Indeed he was not, but still... Over here you would have social workers on your doorstep in no time, unless you home-schooled him, so I would expect she would have been on their radar. Also, how is she going to justify his not being there any more, even with the neighbours? You can't really make a child disappear for good.
quote:

Also, I don't see how that line, Japanese or English, implied in any way of her age.

I don't know... the way it had been phrased and the intonation of the voice suggested some kind of sadness, like (in my opinion) her life was over, etc. etc., while instead she is still young. When I left the cinema I was thinking about it and how she had sacrificed her whole life for her children, but then when I thought should would have been some 45 years of age, I though... "wait a minute!!"

01.27.2014, 10:36 AM Arkadian is offline   Profile for Arkadian Add Arkadian to your buddy list Send an Email to Arkadian
Koda
Ohmu

Anyone got the Collector's Edition of Wolf Children ?

A few months back it was £19.99 everywhere, now I can't find it. Amazon have it for £74.99, Zavvi out of stock and Ebay have no listings.

I am too late !!!!!!!!!

06.21.2014, 07:17 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Lynnie
Kodama

Registration Date: 10.07.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lynnie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I personally love this film. I'm a huge fan of Mamoru Hosoda. I bought the blu-ray the moment it came out.....it always brings me to tears. Yes, I'm that sensitive. Watching Hana deal with her struggles and watching the children grow up- ugh. It gets me every time.

10.11.2015, 03:39 PM Lynnie is offline   Profile for Lynnie Add Lynnie to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Along with The Tale of Princess Kaguya, I bought Wolf Children for my dad at Christmas. We watched it at the weekend. It was a really beautiful, touching film. We both loved it. I definitely want to see it again soon.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 01.04.2016, 03:06 PM.

01.04.2016, 03:06 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree that its a beautiful film. It talks with the same spirit that many Ghibli films do.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.04.2016, 04:00 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It was recommended to me a while back by the young librarian in charge of the young adult section of the library. I enjoyed it very much...

01.05.2016, 04:41 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
paperbullet
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by paperbullet Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"Wolf Children" is my new favorite film. I find it superior to even the best Ghibli films.

05.01.2016, 02:06 PM paperbullet is offline   Profile for paperbullet Add paperbullet to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks