QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What do you think about Disney?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » What do you think about Disney? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
echelon
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.22.02
  What do you think about Disney?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by echelon Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What do you think about the way Disney has handled the Ghibli license? I think they're trying to keep them as obscure as possible... Well, that is all IMO.

12.22.2002, 04:50 AM echelon is offline   Profile for echelon Add echelon to your buddy list Homepage of echelon Add echelon to your contact list AIM Screenname: echelonrequiem YIM Screenname: jamesdazman
UO
(/`A')/

Registration Date: 03.03.02
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by UO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i think i'm only ghibli-fan neutral on the disney thing, haha... (cuz i seldomly watch dubbed stuff and dont have trouble finding those rare theaters)

miyazaki doesnt seem to care either, i heard some say he's satisfied with small release and doesnt want too much attention

my $0.02

12.23.2002, 07:11 PM UO is offline   Profile for UO Add UO to your buddy list Send an Email to UO Homepage of UO
Dark Hearted Disco Queen
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 12.28.02
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Dark Hearted Disco Queen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree about them keeping it obscure, to me it looks like they've bought the right to distribute them and then just sit on them. So far Princess Mononoke is the only one to be released in the UK and that was over a year ago, the little buggers! And Ive had enough of dodgy Asian imports with subtitles impossible to understand.

12.28.2002, 08:08 PM Dark Hearted Disco Queen is offline   Profile for Dark Hearted Disco Queen Add Dark Hearted Disco Queen to your buddy list
TrippleBeem
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.12.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by TrippleBeem Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As long as they promise not to CUT footage out of the releases, I'm okay with it. Disney is a powerful comany (despite fiscal losses, I mean what company ISN'T loosing money) so they definitly have the ability to put the Master works of Miyazaki out for US release. But if they so much as touch one hair on KIKI's head, I'll KILL WALT DISNEY'S WHOLE FAMILY!

02.13.2003, 01:34 PM TrippleBeem is offline   Profile for TrippleBeem Add TrippleBeem to your buddy list AIM Screenname: ryankohl YIM Screenname: ryankohl
neon_genesis
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.14.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by neon_genesis Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I absolutely agree with you, TrippleBeem. As long as the entire thing is left intact, I don't care.

02.14.2003, 04:23 PM neon_genesis is offline   Profile for neon_genesis Add neon_genesis to your buddy list
Sammi
Kodama

Registration Date: 09.28.02
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Sammi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

:/ This is like my whole debate concerning Studio Ghibli... Here's what happened, just so newbies know: Tokuma allowed Disney the rights to import Studio Ghibli's films. The only one that doesn't fall under the compromise is "Grave of The Fireflies" by Isao Takahata, as far as I know.

The only reason that I watch dubbed things sometimes, is I want to see what the majority of the American public is being presented. And I've been upset with that presentation, because often when I watch the subbed, I find a mis-translation or cutting of scenes or something. Even original music has been chopped up or mutilated.

To me, that's what's wrong, more than anything else. Because altering anything Miyazaki and Ghibli has done is like a sin. If Disney can agree to actually PROMOTE Miyazaki's films, and not touch ANYTHING (such as Kiki's erm... head...), then I'm fine with it. I just don't want anything to be messed up.

~ Sammi <3

02.25.2003, 10:18 PM Sammi is offline   Profile for Sammi Add Sammi to your buddy list Send an Email to Sammi Homepage of Sammi
shizuku
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.05.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by shizuku Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

*sigh* i can't stand the fact that studiio ghibli is working with disney...why why! i mean nothing is wrong with disney...its just...STUDIO GHIBLI SO MUCH BETTER THAN DISNEY! it doesnt' deserve to be called "Walt Disney presents...a studio ghibli film..." it just sounds like that studio ghibli is working for walt disney! no! no! no!

and in the trailer for spirited away they showed WAY TOO MUCH! they already showed that haku was the dragon! ugh!

okay...im fine now! ^^ peace!

03.05.2003, 12:59 AM shizuku is offline   Profile for shizuku Add shizuku to your buddy list Send an Email to shizuku
TrippleBeem
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by TrippleBeem Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

SIGH... I was just watching the English language dub Trailers for Laputa, Spirited away, and Kiki's on the disney website...... another set of lousy english dubs coming through..... at least the orignial Japanese language tracks are still there.... phewww

03.14.2003, 03:08 PM TrippleBeem is offline   Profile for TrippleBeem Add TrippleBeem to your buddy list AIM Screenname: ryankohl YIM Screenname: ryankohl
TrippleBeem
Kodama

Does any one know if disney cut anything out of Spirited away for the American relase like they did to mononoke?

03.14.2003, 03:09 PM TrippleBeem is offline   Profile for TrippleBeem Add TrippleBeem to your buddy list AIM Screenname: ryankohl YIM Screenname: ryankohl
UO
(/`A')/

Registration Date: 03.03.02
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by UO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hmmmm disney claimed they didnt

03.14.2003, 03:26 PM UO is offline   Profile for UO Add UO to your buddy list Send an Email to UO Homepage of UO
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Whatever Disney did or didn't do. Nabbing an oscar is a very impressive feat. It brought Spirited Away into mainstream attention. The English version DVD hits the market in the US in about 3 weeks (April 15). It'll probably improve DVD sales, but I think that means Disney'll make it nearly impossible to see the movie in theaters for a while to focus on the DVD promotion.

That's sad. The world is really crazy and scary right now. Alot of kids really need characters like Chihiro and Haku to relate to. They need to imagine themselves getting through war and terror, and somehow keep their humanity along the way.

But for night I'm going to celebrate the oscar. I'm going to roote for the kids. I'm going to say thank you to Mr. Miyasaki and everyone else at Ghibli for giving that gift to the kids.

03.24.2003, 03:02 AM  
TrippleBeem
Kodama

It's back in the theaters now, but only the english dub this time..... sigh

04.03.2003, 03:57 PM TrippleBeem is offline   Profile for TrippleBeem Add TrippleBeem to your buddy list AIM Screenname: ryankohl YIM Screenname: ryankohl
Odie
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.04.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Odie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You know...I basically agree with alot of people here...I find it alright if Disney takes hold of some of Ghibli's productions and such, but changing parts of movies, cutting out parts, ete, is just completely uncalled for and when they do they should be buried up to their neck in an ant mound after having their eyelids cut off and their bodies dipped in honey.

06.04.2003, 08:42 PM Odie is offline   Profile for Odie Add Odie to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Umm, juz so u guyz know, in the contract, there's a statement that disallows disney to cut ANY part of the film. In fact, the only change (other than dubbing, of course) that occurs is that the laputa background music has been changed, and thankfully, by Hisaishi Joe himself, although i heard it was worse than the original.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.04.2003, 11:18 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Rin
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.16.03
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Rin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
In fact, the only change (other than dubbing, of course) that occurs is that the laputa background music has been changed, and thankfully, by Hisaishi Joe himself, although i heard it was worse than the original.

Yup, the new soundtrack was whimpy compared to the beautfiul soundtrack of the original. Other than the whole changing the soundtrack thing, Disney's doing a pretty good job with the Studio Ghibli film dubbing (though I didn't really like Laputa's dub. They made Pazu sound like he was 30...). I mean, at least they don't cut out scenes. They didn't even cut out all the guns in Laputa (ugh, imagine if they DID...) which is a common thing that many studios that dub and edit the anime do *cough*Yu-Gi-Oh*cough*.

09.03.2003, 08:08 PM Rin is offline   Profile for Rin Add Rin to your buddy list
Rin
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.16.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Rin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I actually like disney's films. while the characters may not be as realistic as the ones in Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, etc., many are very emotional and have depth when it comes to emotion ex: The Lion King, Bambi, Mulan, Monsters, Inc. (okay, I know, that's a Pixar film, but...), etc. Really, I didn't care for disney films, but once I took a look at them again, i noticed more of the witty humor and the great emotion. I just don't think the new animated films they're showing now are as good as the older ones.

09.04.2003, 09:03 PM Rin is offline   Profile for Rin Add Rin to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Rin
I actually like disney's films. while the characters may not be as realistic as the ones in Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, etc., many are very emotional and have depth when it comes to emotion ex: The Lion King, Bambi, Mulan, Monsters, Inc. (okay, I know, that's a Pixar film, but...), etc. Really, I didn't care for disney films, but once I took a look at them again, i noticed more of the witty humor and the great emotion. I just don't think the new animated films they're showing now are as good as the older ones.

Those r more exceptions than the norm. Even Lilo and Stitch was a slight flop. The latest in Sinbad was, pardon the pun, a drip (saw it already). Disney's cartoon movies now r becoming more and more forgettable.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

09.06.2003, 12:58 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

eh? i thought sinbad was made by dreamworks?

09.08.2003, 09:51 PM  
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  RAGEPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

in my neihber torror torror where the girls and the dad are takeing a bath .i guaratee that will be cut ,just not done in the usa. and nasica when she is flying on her plane thing is it me or wasnt she bare assed ,maybe im wrong but thats what i seen.that will be cut forsure. so trust me disney will cut and cut and cut.basterds ,thats why i got the originals .so far i have 16 movies related to ghibli in one way or another

and i do buy the dvd when i can but if i cant well hey.

09.14.2003, 09:26 PM  
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

quote:
Originally posted by Guest
in my neihber torror torror where the girls and the dad are takeing a bath .i guaratee that will be cut ,just not done in the usa. and nasica when she is flying on her plane thing is it me or wasnt she bare assed ,maybe im wrong but thats what i seen.that will be cut forsure. so trust me disney will cut and cut and cut.basterds ,thats why i got the originals .so far i have 16 movies related to ghibli in one way or another

and i do buy the dvd when i can but if i cant well hey.

Its Totoro. And those r pants she's wearing, and the 'skirt' is part of her jacket. And disney will get into uber-huge trouble if they dared cut anything cuz theyre breaking the agreement.

Nice english btw.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

09.14.2003, 11:49 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks