QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Why Ghibli does not have a Strong position in the Internet(Or in real
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Why Ghibli does not have a Strong position in the Internet(Or in real » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Why Ghibli does not have a Strong position in the Internet(Or in real Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ilovetotoro.com

It's odd how many people
recognise Ghibli characters
when presented with a
visual prompt or reminder.
The usual response is 'I love
that movie/character soooo
much' but I bet the same
people don't own the
movies or show support
and interest for the studio
on the Net or through social
media.
Have you noticed how the
number of likers on FB and
followers on Twitter for
Ghibli pages are
proportionally low to the
amount of people who 'love'
the characters/movies?

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 05.15.2013, 09:27 AM.

05.15.2013, 09:21 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I must say you are very
detective like to find this fact
out.
And this IS the actual reason
why i came in the tavern in
the first place.
I find two reasons for ghibli
lovers not expressing their
love either very busy or lazy.
Now even Neon genesis
Evangelion fans(particularly
this) and other bleach
naruto Gits fans etc etc and
other anime lovers has huge
presence on internet.
But it is a matter of regret
that Studio Ghibli which has
almost every major movie it
released in the list of top
250 greatest movies of all
time in the IMDb. Has no or
very small presence.
I emailed several times in
the Nausicaa.net to allow
me to make an account. But
they dont even reply.
The second largest site
onlineghibli(this site)
although has a alot of
talented users but is very
quiet due to the increasing
outside activity of its users.
When i came i still found
about 20-30 active users
now there is even less. Even
i can not post due to various
reason.
I feel very bad for this cause
many other movies that is
not nearly any good gets
attention easily. While ghibli
does not.
I think it is fate. And
partially fault of the Studio
which does not contact with
fans.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

05.15.2013, 09:24 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ilovetotoro.com

Thank you for the
compliment but I'm
definitely not a detective. I
am, however, a business
man by day and Studio
Ghibli advocate by night.
The lack of presence is what
led me to launch my
Facebook page and website
as I want to help drive
interest and market Studio
Ghibli all over the UK and
Europe as that's where the
audience is weak (in my
opinion).
If you have any ideas,
suggestions or want to help
me please do get in touch
as the more people involved
the better right? It does
seem the people with the
power to mass-market and
raise awareness either don't
care, don't want to spend
money or don't want to
offer support to the
'smaller' fan pages/sites (the
ones who funnily enough
care and are trying hard
whilst keeping a day job).

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 05.15.2013, 09:28 AM.

05.15.2013, 09:26 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
It does
seem the people with the
power to mass-market and
raise awareness either don't
care, don't want to spend
money or don't want to
offer support to the
'smaller' fan pages/sites (the
ones who funnily enough
care and are trying hard
whilst keeping a day job).

You are absolutely correct on that. Actually that is exactly what IS happening.
Such as most of the ghibli related news are too scarce. You must browse a hell lot of content to find out a news. If only Ghibli published them on their site. Secondly what i see is a vast amount of ghibli stuff floating in the web some in devianart some in some cooking site some in other. It seems to me that there is no out of the box platform for ghibli lovers. Almost all the sites ARE fansites so they provide little to no functionality. I just went to your site and saw the shopping system what i once suggested this site owner UO. But he did not find it credible as it was very risky.

If you need any help suggestions or anything just PM me. I will try my best.

To make ghibli pay attention to us we have to do something great too. Like if 20000 emails is sent to them saying to contact us can make a huge difference. If you dont know let me tell you something the English Theme song singer of Arriety got the job by sending her(ofcourse she is a good singer) CDs to ghibli. So if efforts are made then it is possible to see a change.

But the question is who will do the sacrifice?

05.15.2013, 09:46 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am very confused.

05.15.2013, 11:52 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I am very confused.

About what?

If you are thinking that i am talking to myself(!!!)then you are wrong .Lol.i just reposted something from ghibli quote thread as it was not on the topic.

05.15.2013, 12:02 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"Thank you for the compliment but I'm definitely not a detective."

I found this inexplicably hilarious.

Also what's up with the formatting? If you were just copying and pasting from the other thread, how did it end up so weird?

05.15.2013, 05:35 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
"Thank you for the compliment but I'm definitely not a detective."

I found this inexplicably hilarious.

Also what's up with the formatting? If you were just copying and pasting from the other thread, how did it end up so weird?

Weird(!!!)
Well as i did it, it does not seem very strange to me.
It was a discussion between me and ilovetotoro.com.

And laughing is good for you.

Will someone please post on the original topic rather than the various other things.

05.16.2013, 12:37 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I was confused because yeah, it did sound like you were talking to yourself. And since you didn't give any explanation to go with it, I still don't really understand what this conversation was... How did it begin, who is who, and who even is the ilovetotoro person? If you just copy and paste a conversation without any context, of course people will be confused.

05.16.2013, 07:57 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.12.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
ilovetotoro.com

It's odd how many people
recognise Ghibli characters
when presented with a
visual prompt or reminder.
The usual response is 'I love
that movie/character soooo
much' but I bet the same
people don't own the
movies or show support
and interest for the studio
on the Net or through social
media.
Have you noticed how the
number of likers on FB and
followers on Twitter for
Ghibli pages are
proportionally low to the
amount of people who 'love'
the characters/movies?

Well, just because people love things doesn't make them want to go online and 'like' everything they see. I, for one, love reading Bleach, but I don't join fansites and 'like' it. Just calm down. I love certain things in real life that I don't fangirl about on the internet.

05.16.2013, 03:50 PM San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g is offline   Profile for San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Add San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g to your buddy list Homepage of San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"ilovetotoro.com" is a new member of the Tavern...

05.16.2013, 06:50 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Miyako
Tanuki

Registration Date: 05.01.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyako Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes,that's correctly!

05.17.2013, 07:27 AM Miyako is offline   Profile for Miyako Add Miyako to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Well, just because people love things doesn't make them want to go online and 'like' everything they see. I, for one, love reading Bleach, but I don't join fansites and 'like' it. Just calm down. I love certain things in real life that I don't fangirl about on the internet.

You are basically correct in your point but still if you search bleach(as you mentioned it there are many other examples) then you will see the ammount of content made and also there is a huge number of active contributers doing fansub, writting reviews,Inspecting news etc etc. But even though Ghibli has a very large amount of fans (probably more than bleach or any other anime series) most of them do not take any curiosity for doing anything for the community.

I know a few other active ghibli contributers in some forums.
Now as we know there is no English Subtitle for the Budaken DVD at places where Miyazaki and Joe Hisaishi said something towards viewers. Now i asked them why dont anybody fansub them. Straight answer nobody is available to do so. Now if you look at popular anime series they get fansubbed the day they launch.so why although ghibli got many fans it does not get any contribution.

Hope you understood.

05.17.2013, 07:54 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That ghibli fb fan page is pretty big/active.

05.18.2013, 02:35 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Calforsale
That ghibli fb fan page is pretty big/active.

You are right.
Recently it has seen a lot of activity.
But not Active if you want to ask me. The posts that the admin gives gets a lot of likes but users rarely post.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 05.18.2013, 07:31 AM.

05.18.2013, 07:31 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
~OneSummersDay~
Calcifer

Registration Date: 08.12.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ~OneSummersDay~ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I follow the main Studio Ghibli Facebook page, and its always buzzing with life. In fact, my news feed is clogged with posts from their page on a daily basis!

There's a massive fanbase for Studio Ghibli movies, but in a different way to anime series such a Bleach or Naruto. Without trying to start a debate over anime, I think that fans of series become much more obsessive over characters than they do with films.

Series are made up of multiple episodes = a lot of screen time to get to know characters. It's a totally different experience to watching a 2 hour long film with a conclusive ending.

I don't really watch anime series (unless you count Pokemon when I was a kid), but I get a lot out of the depth of a Ghibli Film. We're all different!

05.18.2013, 07:38 AM ~OneSummersDay~ is offline   Profile for ~OneSummersDay~ Add ~OneSummersDay~ to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by ~OneSummersDay~
There's a massive fanbase for Studio Ghibli movies, but in a different way to anime series such a Bleach or Naruto. Without trying to start a debate over anime, I think that fans of series become much more obsessive over characters than they do with films.

Series are made up of multiple episodes = a lot of screen time to get to know characters. It's a totally different experience to watching a 2 hour long film with a conclusive ending.

I think you're exactly right. This is Saviour's "problem", if you could call it such. Films just incite different behaviour from their fans than series do. Series can afford more characters, more plots and subplots, more material all round. There's more opportunity for viewers to get attached to characters, ship pairings, and all that jazz. It's not just anime either, look at things like Game of Thrones, Supernatural, Doctor Who. Series have big universes. Films are contained. Series versus film is like song versus album, soloist versus orchestra, poem versus novel.

My Anime List

05.18.2013, 08:49 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by ~OneSummersDay~
I follow the main Studio Ghibli Facebook page, and its always buzzing with life. In fact, my news feed is clogged with posts from their page on a daily basis!

I don't really watch anime series (unless you count Pokemon when I was a kid), but I get a lot out of the depth of a Ghibli Film. We're all different!

I appreciate your great post. Actually i have been coming to the conclusion that Ghibli is not like traditional anime so it does not makes fan obsessive(in your word) but you expanded my feeling to even greater boundary that Film and Series are completely different thing.

I think you are correct and guess its my fault that i complained about it. IT was my problem.

I think we are because we should be like this.

And everybody is happy about it.

By the way you were saying you follow main studio ghibli page.Which bustles with activity.

As far as i know there is no main facebook
studio ghibli page.All are fanpages.Just with more likes or less.
A link will be nice.

@Kagegami you said

Series versus film is like song versus album, soloist versus orchestra, poem versus novel

which i completely disagree.(if you mean film by song,soloist and poem)

quote:

With all said i would like to tell you all something more. Nausicaa.net,onlineghibli.com were created by great effort. These people made a great effort to popularize studio ghibli at a time when it was not known at all to most of the people. For them Tokuma-Disney deal was strengthen. If they had not done these then most of us would not have seen ghibli at all. I can just imagine that if Spirited away would not have been in the imdb list then i would never have seen it. And i think that animation lovers should view it [ghibli films] too. Now its your choice you can either be a silent one or be like me.I myself think people will be far more entertained or taught by watching a ghibli movie rather than most other animatiom series or movies out there.

Most of the western people have a tradition of moving onto the things that are enjoying a vogue. Well i guess it is my tradition to do the opposite.

Thanks.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 05.18.2013, 10:55 AM.

05.18.2013, 10:13 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
~OneSummersDay~
Calcifer

Registration Date: 08.12.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ~OneSummersDay~ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saviour, the Facebook page I'm referring to is a fan one, as opposed to official, but it's the biggest one on the network and has hundreds of thousands of followers. The fact that it's fan made and constantly active goes to show that many people appreciate the studio.

I think you hit the nail on the head Kazegami. You're totally right comparing it to other forms of creativity, such as literature. For example, I'm pretty sure that if I mentioned my favourite poem in conversation (by Thomas Carey), not many people would know it, whereas if I mentioned Harry Potter, there's a 99.9% chance that everyone would be able to relate to the subject.

There are many variables that come into play, but a key factor is how long a franchise is sustained.

05.18.2013, 03:53 PM ~OneSummersDay~ is offline   Profile for ~OneSummersDay~ Add ~OneSummersDay~ to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree with Kazegami. I also don't see why Studio Ghibli needs to have a bigger online fanbase than it already has.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 05.19.2013, 03:53 AM.

05.19.2013, 03:49 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks