QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Picture stories
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Picture stories » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Picture storiesPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So I was looking through the Girls! thread and re-looked at this picture:

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/...unknown-25-.jpg --> Linked the pic because it's just huge.

We had a short puzzle as to what the book the left girl was carrying. It dawned on me suddenly that this was written in a very old style: right to left. The title of the book was "Shoujo Gahou." And as it turned out, it's the title of a REAL magazine back in the early 1900's.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/少女画報

A little search proved that the sailor uniform was indeed in use when the magazine was still in publishing.

Interesting tidbit: "In 1942, the Japanese military government issued an order to reduce the number of magazines, and to ban "pure entertainment" publications ostensibly to conserve printing paper, but also to ensure that publications would churn out war-time propaganda. Under this order, Shojo Gahou was absorbed by Shojo no Tomo." (Source) Whether its a manga magazine or just a normal one is unclear though.

And then we have WW2, which we already know is from 1939-1945, which would probably explain the injuries... and the death.

So my proposal: Who wants to write a short story?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.13.2013, 11:52 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Very interesting and well done on the research. I wish I knew more about the picture but now I can't even remember where I found it.

The school behind looks old, of typical pre-war timber construction, so that fits with the wartime date.

Its interesting that the magazine you mention was merged with (ceased being published) in 1942, yet serious bombing of Japan's home islands (death, injuries) didn't begin until 2 years later. I suppose it could be an old magazine copy

I also notice the skirts are quite long - in modern manga/fan art/whatever they're often stupidly short, so again another pointer to an older style.

The girls round glasses while they could be modern are equally of an older style.

Does the writing on the stone block to the left say anything or is it indeciperable squiggles?

Why are you suggesting a ghost story as a writing piece, might not this be a simple historical story or are you thinking of setting it in more modern times when the girls are grown up and their childhood friend 'returns'?

Shojo Gahou = Girl's Illustrated.

Google translate is only partly helpful:

" "Girl's pictorial" (girl method), one of the girls magazine pre-war Japan. First published in 1912, ceased publication in 1942.

As a sister magazine of women's magazine "Women's pictorial", Tokyo company founded in 1912 (1912). Issue at the time was a featured Sozo Kurahashi et al education scholars link the name to the editorial advisory, educational trend is the strong. (Published from 1916) to the Taisho medium-term, it has been found Yoshiya Nobuko was yet unnamed, posted a "Hana story". The large number of published articles - Entertainment, was increasingly entertaining since the end of the Taisho. 1942 (1942), and was integrated into the "friend of the girl" by wartime magazine integration Ordinance.
Novel

Yoshiya Nobuko - "Flowers Story"
Takeo Kato - "South and I know you" (1925, book illustration, Yumi Tsukioka)
Nogami Yayoko - "The Story of Kikuko" (November 1912), "Hinako" (January 1916 - April issue)
Ojima Kikuko - "Mistletoe" (1912), "Ki is Hime" (January 1913 - November issue), "Ayako" (January 1914 - July issue), "duckweed" ( December issue) - August 1916
Kitagawa Chiyo - "Happiness" (1925)

Cover, frontispiece

Kasho Takahata
Koji butterbur valley - in the name of butterbur valley red children, debuted in this magazine in 1920, Sugoroku or appendix cover picture of New Year issue is left up to you after six months. The change in the name Koji cover picture of February 1921 issue of "snow". Studying in Paris from 1925, "Paris image signal (N Parry Guwashi)" is published in this magazine.
Kato Masao"

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 06.13.2013, 12:47 PM.

06.13.2013, 12:41 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Found an early cover and an article:

http://threestepsoverjapan.blogspot.co.u...ler-part-3.html

This is a 1912 edition - can anyone here translate what looks like a list of articles/contents?

It just struck me that "Girl's Illustrated" could also be the title of the image as well as the magazine.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.13.2013, 12:53 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

...and we get a fantastic general history of the concept of "shojo" against a forum discussion of Revolutionary Girl Utena. The posts by Red Scully are worth reading.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/anime-se...a/t.61690181_1/

The whole idea of the Japanese Government in the late 19th and early 20th century defining what girls should be and what (and why) they should be educated to become is fascinating. You see strong resonances of that in Japanese women and society even today.

The "woman as wife and supporter of her husband" is so deeply ingrained in Japanese culture, it shows in so much anime as well.

Thanks for sparking my interest Roar!

06.13.2013, 01:11 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I hadn't noticed it before, but the girl on the right also appears to have bandaging around her throat...

You guys have done some remarkable work digging up all this information...

Thank you...

06.13.2013, 02:15 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The following posts were deleted by me and moved to a new thread...

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.14.2013, 11:52 AM.

06.13.2013, 02:48 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

deleted

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.14.2013, 11:51 AM.

06.13.2013, 03:08 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

deleted

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.14.2013, 11:54 AM.

06.13.2013, 03:12 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

deleted

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.14.2013, 11:55 AM.

06.13.2013, 03:23 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post last edited by Saddletank on 06.14.2013, 12:26 PM.

06.13.2013, 05:48 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

I'm sorry... Maybe Roar can move it to Random or something...

06.13.2013, 06:01 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank Does the writing on the stone block to the left say anything or is it indeciperable squiggles?

Why are you suggesting a ghost story as a writing piece, might not this be a simple historical story or are you thinking of setting it in more modern times when the girls are grown up and their childhood friend 'returns'?

1) Scribbles. Or technically, the English counterpart of cursive writing, which in my opinion is equally illegible in the modern times.

2) I... didn't. Where'd you get that?

@husky: My idea when I started this thread was to post a picture with an accompanying short, or others inspired to write a short. It's not like I can control how the thread will turn into anyhow though, if history of this forum is of any indication.

-----

That magazine isn't just a 1912 publication; it's the FIRST publication. Can't read most of the kanji though.

Let's do some inference from the facts.

- Glasses is holding a popular magazine of the time. From the wiki page, it seems to be a monthly publication. Unless that particular copy was very sentimental or had a special meaning or purpose, we can probably assume that it is one of the latest, if not the latest, and the year is before 1942.

- Sakura + graduation = April. Hence publication of magazine if Feb/March edition. Existence of a fourth graduation scroll would indicate that the death of their schoolmate was rather recent, or there wouldn't be a scroll at all.

- Two injuries + one death would suggest a common incident. It may not be unlikely that all three are related.

- Long hair's injury is on the neck. The only injuries I can think of is by strangulation, either by a 2nd party or suicide attempt, or neck trauma. May also be likely that the bandage is used to hide the scars. Injury by a sharp object is possible, but doubtful, as such injuries are usually accompanied by other injuries unless self-inflicted, which is equally doubtful as places for self-mutilation generally exclude the neck.

-Glasses' injury is limited to the entire calf area. Such bandaging would usually be from a deep cut, often a fall from a high place.

- Bombing of Japan began in '44 (the Doolittle raid literally did very little), but magazine publication ceased in '42. It can then be inferred that bombings cannot be the source of either injury or death.

- I therefore conclude that the war had nothing to do with the girls' story.

-----

I'll take a shot in the dark and guess that the girls were involved in a fall, where one died from her injuries and one badly sprained her neck. Glasses tried to help but slipped and fell. Braids... was probably too shocked, or was crying for help.

There's also a probability of drowning, but water accidents seldom cause neck trauma though.

And making it more personal, let's name them Sana, Rumi and Kaho. The deceased, let's make her Tomoe.

Backstory... probably a close group of friends who decided to enter the same high school (common setting). Just before graduation, they met at Rumi's house, which is a temple on a hilltop. They played in the woods behind the temple, where things got a little out of hands... and Tomoe slipped off a steep edge, pulling Kaho with her.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.14.2013, 04:22 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Sorry, I must have read "short" as "ghost". How odd.

Husky I suppose you could edit your posts down to nothing?

Roar we could set the story any time between 1912 and 1942.

As with so much of this kind of thing I feel a supernatural happening of some kind. Perhaps the girls are part of the School of Shadows universe? That was my very initial thought and it fits with the fact that SoS background ran back in time a long way. The school itself was built in the 1960s on the site of a temple or shrine but the Shadows had been active long before that.

06.14.2013, 05:47 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Rather than lose the posts that were put together at no little effort (for me, anyway), I moved them to a thread entitled "High flying photos"...

If Roar can 'clean up the deletes, I would appreciate it.

06.14.2013, 12:00 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
la-yue
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.25.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by la-yue Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

its a pretty picture!

I want to live in a Studio Ghibli creation.

06.29.2013, 03:47 AM la-yue is offline   Profile for la-yue Add la-yue to your buddy list
la-yue
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.25.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by la-yue Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

They're all so unique but the same!

I want to live in a Studio Ghibli creation.

06.29.2013, 03:55 AM la-yue is offline   Profile for la-yue Add la-yue to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Welcome to the Tavern, la-yue... Hope you enjoy it here... Another Kiwi...

for the future, instead of double posting, you might just 'edit'...

Other than that, have fun...

06.29.2013, 10:07 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks