QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - My top 5 Ghibli Films
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » My top 5 Ghibli Films » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Shawneth
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.11.13
  My top 5 Ghibli FilmsPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Shawneth Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello all. Well, during the past 2 weeks I've seen so many Ghibli films for the first time. Starting about 3 years ago I first saw Spirited Away, and now I truly know what art is.

1. Only Yesterday - I've already talked a little bit about this one. The flashback scenes make me too happy. It's amazing how I can relate to a girl, from the 60s, in Tokyo Japan.

2. Princess Mononoke - So much action, drama, romance and so on displayed so uniquely. After that movie I really wanted a sequel just because it seems to be a movie that has so much more to offer than just a stand alone film (I remember reading that it's Ghibli's equivalent to Star Wars).

3. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - It's wonderful. It has that animation style I love from the 80s (like Akira) and a story you can't forget. One of the few movies that LITERALLY put me at the edge of my seat near the end. It also gave me a realistic view on the environment, something we all need, especially in the world we're living in today.

4. Laputa - I love in this movie the shift of enemies and allies. I love the Sky castle.. And much like Nausicaa it has that 80s animation style. When the robot gave Sheeta the rose, I instantly remembered the reference in Minecraft with the Iron Golems and the village children. There's a special feeling you get when you see things like this on your own without something telling you about it.

5. Tales from Earthsea - I really had a hard time thinking about my 5th option. Maybe I might change it if I remember a film I liked more. After watching this I was surprised actually. It was clearly based in Europe, and the character development is so strong that it surpasses any other movie I've seen.

Now obviously these are my picks, what do you think? What are your top 5 .

07.18.2013, 02:45 AM Shawneth is offline   Profile for Shawneth Add Shawneth to your buddy list
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Unfortunately I have only seen two Ghibli films, I prefer to watch them on TV. I watched Grave Of The Fireflies on YouTube and bought Spirited Away on DVD.

I have just bought Arrietty on Blu Ray and DVD, so I will be watching that when it comes. I play to get more, when I get money.

I'm surprised Spirited away isn't on there, nor is Totoro .

Earthsea has been dubbed the least favourite of all the Ghibli films, but it was made my Miyazaki's Son.

Nice choices, I plan to see them all then share mine.

07.18.2013, 04:34 AM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
reecetard
Calcifer

Registration Date: 06.02.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by reecetard Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's interesting that you put Earthsea in your top 5. Most people (myself included) view it as one of Ghibli's worst films (still a good film though!).

The other four I can't argue with, I'd probably put Whisper of the Heart in there, near the top.

Laputa is probably my favorite. Just a stunning film. Only yesterday is also beautiful, I've only seen it once, need to rewatch it!

~ No matter how many weapons you may have ~
~ No matter how great your technology may be ~
~ The world cannot live without love ~

07.18.2013, 05:30 AM reecetard is offline   Profile for reecetard Add reecetard to your buddy list Homepage of reecetard
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm surprised by Earthsea as well! I actually quite enjoyed it, because I was already aware how much it differed from the books, but I still think it's one of the weaker ones, and I know how unpopular it is. Also I'm interested that you thought of the setting as European - I did get that from some of it, but other parts seemed more Arabian to me.

As for my top five, I'm not sure I can decide! Whisper of the Heart and Spirited Away would both be in there, but for the others it's tricky...

07.18.2013, 08:51 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

First of all, I have to say that I love ALL of the Ghiblis. That being said, I went down the list of Ghiblis that I have and made this choice. It wasn't easy.

Whisper of the Heart

Totoro

Spirited Away

Only Yesterday

Ocean Waves

With the exception of WotH, It was hard to make the decision as to which were my 'top 5'. Kiki; Nausicaa; Princess Mononoke; GotF; Ponyo, each could just as easily have been in the top five. Each movie has its own points and I love them all, as I said. Even 'The Yamadas'.

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.18.2013, 10:27 AM.

07.18.2013, 10:26 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.12.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would have to say my top five are Mononoke Hime, Kiki, Nausicaa, Totoro, and Spirited Away, in no specific order. It's so hard to choose, though. I grew up watching them all (except for GotF)...

07.18.2013, 11:27 AM San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g is offline   Profile for San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Add San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g to your buddy list Homepage of San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm i guess mine lately would be.

1 Only Yesterday

2 Kiki's Delivery Service

3 Whipser of the Heart

4 Porco Rosso

5 Spirited Away

07.19.2013, 04:36 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
leonbloy
Warawara

Registration Date: 10.26.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by leonbloy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1. Totoro
2. Spirited away
3. Only yesterday
4. Whisper of the heart
5. Porco Rosso

Thugh I should rather rank them thus:

A. Superbly great: Totoro - Spirited Away
B. Great : all except A,C
C. Mediocre: Cat Returns, Earthsea, Arriety, Poppy Hill

Post last edited by leonbloy on 07.25.2013, 01:56 PM.

07.19.2013, 01:16 PM leonbloy is offline   Profile for leonbloy Add leonbloy to your buddy list Homepage of leonbloy
~OneSummersDay~
Calcifer

Registration Date: 08.12.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ~OneSummersDay~ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I feel sorry for Earthsea, I really didn't think it was that bad, in fact I quite enjoyed it. 'From Up on Poppy Hill' goes to show that Goro Miyazaki has it in him anyway, what a masterpiece!

Also, give me the rest of my lifetime to try and decide which are my top five, haha!

Post last edited by ~OneSummersDay~ on 07.19.2013, 04:26 PM.

07.19.2013, 04:25 PM ~OneSummersDay~ is offline   Profile for ~OneSummersDay~ Add ~OneSummersDay~ to your buddy list
NausicaaLover
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.20.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by NausicaaLover Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Whisper of the heart, Nausicaa and Kiki are my top 3 undisputed. I lost count of how many times I watched them.
The other two could be any among From up on Poppy hill, Mononoke, Spirited away, Only yesterday; I'm not sure

07.25.2013, 11:05 AM NausicaaLover is offline   Profile for NausicaaLover Add NausicaaLover to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Whisper, Porco, Only Yesterday, Ocean Waves, Spirited Away.

Though I love them all (except Fireflies - too depressing for my taste) and different ones shuffle around in positions 3 to 5 from time to time.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.25.2013, 01:50 PM.

07.25.2013, 01:49 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think with Ghibli films, everyone changes them from time to time with their favourite.

I have seen 3, they are in this order.

1. Spirited Away
2. Arrietty
3. Grave Of The Fireflies

07.25.2013, 04:33 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Miyako
Tanuki

Registration Date: 05.01.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyako Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just like husky I like all Ghibli films and it's difficult to make a top 5 list:

1.Laputa
2.Princess Mononoke
3.Nausicaa
4.Spirited Away
5.Howl's moving castle

07.28.2013, 06:42 AM Miyako is offline   Profile for Miyako Add Miyako to your buddy list
reecetard
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by reecetard Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's good to see that a lot of others also really like Whisper of the Heart - I thought it might be towards the bottom of most peoples' lists.

It's my favorite, closely followed by Laputa.

I have literally (I'm using the word 'literally' honestly here, not as a form of exaggeration) watched Whisper somewhere around 200 times.

I used to fall asleep to it every night, so comforting. Uhg, I sound so sloppy !

08.13.2013, 01:31 AM reecetard is offline   Profile for reecetard Add reecetard to your buddy list Homepage of reecetard
~OneSummersDay~
Calcifer

Registration Date: 08.12.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ~OneSummersDay~ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm really surprised that few people have Laputa in their top 5! I can still remember the first time I watched it, how moving and powerful it was.

08.13.2013, 05:07 AM ~OneSummersDay~ is offline   Profile for ~OneSummersDay~ Add ~OneSummersDay~ to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by reecetard
I have literally (I'm using the word 'literally' honestly here, not as a form of exaggeration) watched Whisper somewhere around 200 times.

Here a new record holder comes.

I thought no one is even near my record [I watched all the Ghibli movies 9-10 times in the last one year, after i acknowledged about them last year]

but 200 is just too much.even for me

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

08.13.2013, 05:30 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
reecetard
Calcifer

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
I thought no one is even near my record [I watched all the Ghibli movies 9-10 times in the last one year, after i acknowledged about them last year

Hehe, I didn't mean to steal your crown! It was a period in my life when I lived with my grandparents after my parents moved to the country (when i was 18 ), I was in the 'inbetween' in terms of education, work, life in general. I just found this film so comforting, the perfect escape each and every time I watched it!

quote:
Originally posted by ~OneSummersDay~
I'm really surprised that few people have Laputa in their top 5! I can still remember the first time I watched it, how moving and powerful it was.

Me too! It's a very close second place for me. Another Ghibli film I've watched countless times, I can almost recite the whole script ! Dola the Pirate is probably my favorite Ghibli character of all time!

Post last edited by reecetard on 08.13.2013, 10:29 PM.

08.13.2013, 10:25 PM reecetard is offline   Profile for reecetard Add reecetard to your buddy list Homepage of reecetard
Suzana
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.13.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Suzana Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's was really hard to decide, because all the Ghiblis are perfect in their own way..

-1. Spirited Away

-2. Howl's Moving Castle

-3. Laputa

-4. Nausicaa

-5. Only Yesterday

I'm not even sure for this, I could change it if i'm going to think about it more.

Post last edited by Suzana on 08.23.2013, 07:50 AM.

08.23.2013, 07:50 AM Suzana is offline   Profile for Suzana Add Suzana to your buddy list
msteve60
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.30.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by msteve60 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Good list! Nice to see another Only Yesterday fan.

My top 5:

1. Princess Kaguya
2. Only Yesterday
3. Spirited Away
4. Pom Poko
5. Porco Rosso

02.10.2017, 03:04 AM msteve60 is offline   Profile for msteve60 Add msteve60 to your buddy list
Seiji Amasawa
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Amasawa Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Spirited Away should be in everyones top 5, just saying

Post last edited by Seiji Amasawa on 02.21.2017, 12:19 AM.

02.21.2017, 12:17 AM Seiji Amasawa is offline   Profile for Seiji Amasawa Add Seiji Amasawa to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks