QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Cheapest site for shipping Ghibli merchandise?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Cheapest site for shipping Ghibli merchandise? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Calcifer

Registration Date: 08.12.09
  Cheapest site for shipping Ghibli merchandise?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ~OneSummersDay~ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I usually buy my Ghibli merch from eBay, but there are some more soundtracks I'd like which are available on Yesasia, CD Japan and Amazon.jp.

I was wondering if anyone on here has any experiences of these sites, and which they found to have the cheapest shipping?

The prices of the products are relatively similar, so what I want is affordable shipping to the UK.

Any advice is much appreciated

07.19.2013, 04:34 PM ~OneSummersDay~ is offline   Profile for ~OneSummersDay~ Add ~OneSummersDay~ to your buddy list
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If the item is above £15, then there are import charges. These aren't always shown on the website, so be careful for them.

I can give you a rough idea, if you let me know one of the items you are thinking of buying, the price of it and the price of the shipping.

I have been importing for years, sometimes it's really annoying.

Post last edited by Koda on 07.19.2013, 06:03 PM.

07.19.2013, 06:02 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Skovgaard
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.29.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Skovgaard Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

CD-Japan: Shipping price is around $5.00 us for cd, dvds and blu-rays, artbooks is around $17 us.

They are using really good packaging, but can get hit with import tax, if the total price is above £15, for me in Denmark, it's about 1 out of 5 of my orders where I have to pay tax.

Yesasia: Free shipping if the price is above $25 us, and they normally ship from inside the EU, so no import tax, but I have not used them for some time, so not 100% sure about the shipping origin.

Not sure about Amazon.co.jp, I always have to pay import tax if I use them, so I don't do that anymore.

07.19.2013, 09:04 PM Skovgaard is offline   Profile for Skovgaard Add Skovgaard to your buddy list Send an Email to Skovgaard
~OneSummersDay~
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ~OneSummersDay~ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks for the advice, that's really helpful!

Skovgaard, with Yesasia, do individual items have to be worth more than $25, or does it just have to be a total of above $25? So if I bought a load of CDs that came to $150, let's say, would free shipping apply to that? It sounds like a good place to shop if import tax doesn't apply!

With CD Japan, is that $5.00 shipping per CD? Because obviously that'd all add up.

I guess I'll avoid Amazon.jp then. I just want to get the most out of my money really

07.20.2013, 06:32 AM ~OneSummersDay~ is offline   Profile for ~OneSummersDay~ Add ~OneSummersDay~ to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm quite sure its the total cost which needs to be above 25.

07.20.2013, 07:39 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Skovgaard
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.29.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Skovgaard Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As Calforsale said, It's the total amount that have to be over $25

CD-Japan shipping cost is based on weight, so one blu-ray is 500 yen, two is 700 yen and so on. (500 yen = $5) and that's why a artbook is 1700 yen, be course it's heavy.

But each time you buy something, you get Frequent Shopper Points, for the Porco Rosso blu-ray, I got 543 points, and 1 point = 1 yen, so basically free shipping on my next order.

07.20.2013, 08:23 AM Skovgaard is offline   Profile for Skovgaard Add Skovgaard to your buddy list Send an Email to Skovgaard
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, inside the EU is fine. There is a lot of stores than import from Japan, as a company so they don't pay VAT. Try order from them.

07.20.2013, 04:17 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
~OneSummersDay~
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ~OneSummersDay~ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Awesome, that's really helpful, thanks everyone!

The Wind Rises soundtrack is now available to purchase and I'm so tempted to buy it, even though it'll be a while until I can see the film itself. I'm always so desperate for more Joe Hisaishi goodness!

07.21.2013, 07:31 PM ~OneSummersDay~ is offline   Profile for ~OneSummersDay~ Add ~OneSummersDay~ to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks