QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Ghibli Tavern Anime Guide
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Ghibli Tavern Anime Guide » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Ghibli Tavern Anime GuidePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS: this is the discussion thread for submissions to the Ghibli Tavern Anime Guide! See the list thread for the actual guide.

**Note for contributors** - please use the following template to lay out your submission:
Title:
Alternative titles:
Genre(s):
Intended Demographic (if applicable):
Studio/Director:
# Episodes:
Year of Release:
Short Review (brief summary and opinion, avoiding spoilers):
Content warnings (e.g. adult material and sensitive topics, if applicable):
Other notes (e.g. views commonly held about the anime, or mentions of things like filler, if applicable):
For fans of (list other anime):

I've had this idea in the past few days, because I've noticed that recently there have been more people asking for anime recommendations here, and generally discussing what anime there is and what's worth watching. Basically, the idea is to have a list of anime as recommended by Tavern members, with information about genre, content, who recommends it and what kinds of people it's recommended for.

Then, when people new to anime or just looking for suggestions come to ask about what to watch, we can direct them here! Would other people be interested in contributing to it?

08.01.2013, 11:44 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am in.But i think only those should make a recommendation who have watched it fully. But how it is going to be organized cause if the thread goes on then how a person will find what is suitable for him?

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

08.01.2013, 12:25 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I can see how it could work. Like my post here...

I will start off by recommending something just to get it started, like Five Centimeters per Second ... If I think of something else later on I will just come back and EDIT my post with additions to my original post, like, say, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya

Other Anime:

"The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya"
"Five Centimeters per Second"

That would work, I think... And just because I recommended it doesn't mean that someone else couldn't recommend the same thing. It would give someone an idea that the movie or anime has been enjoyed by others as well...

Following Saddles idea, no Ghiblis in this thread because we are all Ghibli fans... I just deleted my Ghibli recommend.

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.01.2013, 02:13 PM.

08.01.2013, 02:02 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I guess this is for non-Ghiblis. It should be assumed that everyone who comes to the Tavern likes them.

Perhaps we could post up our own ratings and reviews and preferences and Arren you could keep editing your top post so it contains everything? That would be one way to make it all easy to find, but a bit of super copy-paste effort for you every so often.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.01.2013, 02:09 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, what Saddles is saying is what I had in mind. The first post can be a master post, and I'm around often enough that I can keep it updated. That way we can discuss in the thread as much as we like without having to worry about edited posts getting confusing.

And I also agree with saviour that only people who have seen all of something should recommend! We can't know whether you have or not, but please try to be honest.

08.01.2013, 02:14 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think we should all edit our posts, that way the thread wouldn't get ungainly long... Each member would be responsible for adding to his or her own post as time goes on. This way we won't have 50 pages to go thru... Maybe only two or three...

And regular editing will keep the thread close to the top of the list as well...

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.01.2013, 02:17 PM.

08.01.2013, 02:16 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Perhaps someone fills in a form, so we can find some suited to the individual.

Pokebeach forums, uses something like this. ?

Favourite genre(s):
Previously-liked anime, manga, or movies:
Specifics you're looking for:
Desired length:
Anime you've already seen:
Anything else?:

The user fills the form in, then users can help them ?

08.01.2013, 02:18 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@husky: see my last post! We can restrict it to even just one page doing it that way.

@SI: my idea was mainly to avoid people needing to ask every time, as there would be a nice big list with information to check out. We could provide particular details for each item in the list (genre, themes, content warnings) so people can get an idea of what might be to their liking.

08.01.2013, 02:23 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Koda
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah sure, I need some recommendations myself . This would come in aid for me.

08.01.2013, 02:27 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
husky51
The Old Guy

sounds good to me...

Once we get this rolling, maybe Roar can delete the suggestions that we already posted to further reduce the clutter...

You can use my first two recommendations to start if you like or start with your own.

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.01.2013, 02:56 PM.

08.01.2013, 02:55 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1. Start a new topic.

2. I'll sticky it.

3. Each post will contain one unique title, reviews and ratings.

4. Each title will have a "Similar to [anime title]" within it.

5. No other posts are to be made in the topic. Random posts will be deleted.

Sounds good? Although if you ask me, aren't we just doing the same as AnimeDB? lol

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.01.2013, 11:08 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
1. Start a new topic.

2. I'll sticky it.

3. Each post will contain one unique title, reviews and ratings.

4. Each title will have a "Similar to [anime title]" within it.

5. No other posts are to be made in the topic. Random posts will be deleted.

Sounds good? Although if you ask me, aren't we just doing the same as AnimeDB? lol

AnimeDB does not have a particular users like us who love ghibli. It is for those who think more or less like us.

I like SI's idea we should really make a template that way we can gather out thought faster and then post it.

Something like this

Anime genre:
Short Summary:
User Review:
Recommended For:

etc
this way the thread will be structured and also short.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

08.02.2013, 04:22 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

I haven't used AnimeDB myself, but I thought of this because people were specifically asking members here for recommendations, so it would be good to have a list of what we recommend and for whom. As for having each recommendation as a new post, that would make the thread very lengthy for people to go through, and you could end up with a lot of duplicates instead of just a list of recommenders with each entry. Besides, I think deleting all unneeded comments would be even more hassle than editing the first post, and if we do allow more discussion, that way we can reach group agreements on what should be included in each entry, etc, etc, and then not have to go back and delete it all.

Having a new thread might be good though, unless Roar can edit the original so that the thread title indicates that the list will be in the first post? And how long can a post actually be? If there's a limit that we could reach very quickly, it could be worth having some extra placeholder posts if we make a new thread.

08.02.2013, 04:46 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

another way of doing that individual thread will be for making the recommendation and another will contain the list.

The list will have links to the individual thread where forum members have commented, reviewed and rated a particular anime.

based on those statistics the main list will be updated and sorted from up to down.

the most recommended on the top then one after another.

That list can be stickyed and so a person can easily find out Anime recommendation by users of Tavern.

Sounds good to me because that way we can actually find out which anime is more popular.And we do not have a rating system in Taverm CMS so basically by creating only one list i do not see any way to properly maintain it. And then we also have to rewrite the one we have written earlier.

Any objections??addition??or suggestion??

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 08.02.2013, 12:27 PM.

08.02.2013, 12:21 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I actually quite like Saviour's idea of having two separate threads - one just featuring that 'master post' that has been previously suggested, and another containing all the ratings etc. That way people don't have to go back to the 1st page to view things, and everything stays quite clear. But I suppose there isn't much of a difference in keeping them both together.

I think we should set up a manga guide too - I don't know about other members, but I definitely read more manga than I watch anime - in fact I can say with a lot of confidence I probably follow every major (and many non-major) shoujo manga, and know most of those released in the past few years, so I'd love to help people with suggestions in terms of that genre.

08.02.2013, 12:36 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Koda
Ohmu

I too would love a Manga recommendation thread, I have thought about Death Note, but not sure what else.

I also feel that we would need more sections, I am not sure how much the forum will grow, but I feel just 4 sections is inadequate. Having General Discussion for everything non Anime related isn't enough, obviously Anime isn't the only thing we can talk about.

People come for the Ghibli, stay because of the members, and would stay I feel if there was more .

08.02.2013, 01:31 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
I actually quite like Saviour's idea of having two separate threads - one just featuring that 'master post' that has been previously suggested, and another containing all the ratings etc. That way people don't have to go back to the 1st page to view things, and everything stays quite clear. But I suppose there isn't much of a difference in keeping them both together.

if someone agrees with me why he/she has to say again , actually etc words. I have no idea.

now to topic
Hmm,

what i suggested is one with the list and you got this

but not another with ratings rather i suggested that each individual anime will have its own thread for ratings reviews experience etc.Its because if all the anime are reviewed in one thread then we then again have to browse through it. Woltlab does not support post linking. I know a way to get around this but that is complicated.We have quite a few reviews already so we should use them

I think i have made it clear enough to me atleast LOL

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 08.02.2013, 04:41 PM.

08.02.2013, 03:13 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
quote:

if someone agrees with me why he/she has to say again , actually etc words. I have no idea.

now to topic
Hmm,

what i suggested is one with the list and you got this

but not another with ratings rather i suggested that each individual anime will have its own thread for ratings reviews experience etc.Its because if all the anime are reviewed in one thread then we then again have to browse through it. Woltlab does not support post linking. I know a way to get around this but that is complicated.We have quite a few of them so we should use them

I think i have made it clear enough to me atleast LOL

First of all, your reaction to me actually agreeing with you for once.... /facepalm

I was elaborating on the way I agreed with you because I wanted to voice exactly what aspects of (what I thought was) your argument I was agreeing with. There's no need to react that way about it.

Plus personally speaking I think having a separate thread for every anime we review is a little extreme and messy.

EDIT: And it's a she, plus I'm not sure if you're aware, but it's extremely rude to refer to somebody in 3rd person like that.

Post last edited by Nausicaa_Cat on 08.02.2013, 04:41 PM.

08.02.2013, 04:40 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
First of all, your reaction to me actually agreeing with you for once.... /facepalm

I was elaborating on the way I agreed with you because I wanted to voice exactly what aspects of (what I thought was) your argument I was agreeing with. There's no need to react that way about it.

Plus personally speaking I think having a separate thread for every anime we review is a little extreme and messy.

EDIT: And it's a she, plus I'm not sure if you're aware, but it's extremely rude to refer to somebody in 3rd person like that.

no this happened before actually thats why the reaction

not trying to get rude as i am referring to general audience

i know you are a she LOL

and i think i never tried to do unfriendly behavior with anyone here except one case that was different

so dont get me wrong

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 08.02.2013, 04:46 PM.

08.02.2013, 04:43 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
quote:

no this happened before actually thats why the reaction

not trying to get rude as i am referring to general audience

i know you are a she LOL

and i think i never tried to do unfriendly behavior with anyone here except one case that was different

so dont get me wrong

If I misunderstood you than that's fine! Sometimes I find it difficult to understand quite what you're getting at, but if you meant it without any ill-intent, than my bad

08.02.2013, 06:01 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
[  1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks