QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Miyazaki Retires!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Miyazaki Retires! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
emo72
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 10.04.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by emo72 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

How old was Miyazaki before he started to make ghibli movies? Maybe goro still has some time to develop and gain confidence.

09.09.2013, 07:29 PM emo72 is offline   Profile for emo72 Add emo72 to your buddy list
leonbloy
Warawara

Registration Date: 10.26.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by leonbloy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by emo72
How old was Miyazaki before he started to make ghibli movies? Maybe goro still has some time to develop and gain confidence.

Hayao was 20 when he started doing animation, and 37 when he did "Conan, boy of the future" (1978). Each chapter of this series, without the need of great lushing backgrounds or magnificent sentimental music, showed the hand of a true artist, an creator with courage and love towards his characters and animation. Each chapter had at least a memorable and heart warming scene, and left with you with joy and wanting for more. I see nothing of that in movies like Arrietty or Poppy Hill.
I'm afraid it's not a matter of training or experience, it's a matter of genius.

Post last edited by leonbloy on 09.10.2013, 07:24 AM.

09.10.2013, 07:24 AM leonbloy is offline   Profile for leonbloy Add leonbloy to your buddy list Homepage of leonbloy
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd have to disagree, I feel there was a magic feel to Arrietty, even if Miyazaki didn't direct the film.

I loved the film, I wanted more infact.

I haven't seen Poppy Hill yet, but I am seeing it at the cinema this Saturday, I am very excited, to be able to see a Ghibli film in the cinema.

09.10.2013, 02:21 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Koda
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would agree though, some things can't be taught.

09.10.2013, 02:23 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
~OneSummersDay~
Calcifer

Registration Date: 08.12.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ~OneSummersDay~ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry leonboy, but I have to disagree!

I concur that old-school animation such as Conan greatly emphasises the skill of the artist, because it is created solely using traditional techniques that take skill and mastering, but that doesn't mean modern animation can't achieve the same charm.

It's undeniable that Miyazaki's influence over his films are huge as director, but you have to remember the whole team of people behind him putting the work in. Yonebayashi and Goro's styles are different to Miyazaki's, as is Takahata's. Yes, Miyazaki is most certainly a genius, he has every element of creating a powerful animation nailed and his confidence in what he does shines through in his work. But I believe that diversity is valuable within Ghibli, and the films produced by different directors have their merits.

Obviously it's a matter of opinion, but there are a good few scenes in both Arrietty and Poppy Hill that are memorable and heart-warming; charming in their own right.

Neither are massively plot-based, (similar to Whisper of the Heart), but I believe that their strength is more in the subtle conveyance of emotions and feelings that viewers can perhaps relate to. Both are coming-of-age type films in different respects - Arrietty is discovering who she is and what she wants as she ages, Umi and Shun are reflecting on their losses in the past and the futures they can perhaps build together.

To say that these films shouldn't need magnificent music, to me, is ludicrous. Miyazaki's reliance on Joe Hisaishi, who composed the music for most of his films, is pretty massive. Imagine the train scene in Spirited Away without 'The Sixth Station', the finale of Princess Mononoke without 'Ashitaka and San, the tree growing scene in My Neighbour Totoro without 'Moonlight Flight'. Arguably, the animation needs the music as much as the music needs the animation!

09.12.2013, 04:31 PM ~OneSummersDay~ is offline   Profile for ~OneSummersDay~ Add ~OneSummersDay~ to your buddy list
Koda
Ohmu

Every film I have seen from Studio Ghibli, has touched me, they are such amazing films. I can't explain my love for these films.

I am here for the same reason you're all, they have moved me. I know I am not wasting my time, when I see a Ghibli film. I know I am going to learn something, I am going to be inspired. Animation has changed, but it doesn't mean it's getting worst.

I wanted my Girlfriend to love Studio Ghibli, I was afraid she wouldn't. We both saw Spirited Away, she didn't really understand it, but she did appreciate the animation.

We then saw Arrietty, she found it stunning. She loved the film, she even asked me to buy it for her on DVD. We have watched a few more together, and she loved them all.

Miyazaki is at the heart of Studio Ghibli, but every other member in integral to the running of the studio.

09.12.2013, 05:26 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
NausicaaLover
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.20.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by NausicaaLover Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by ~OneSummersDay~
Sorry leonboy, but I have to disagree!

I concur that old-school animation such as Conan greatly emphasises the skill of the artist, because it is created solely using traditional techniques that take skill and mastering, but that doesn't mean modern animation can't achieve the same charm.

It's undeniable that Miyazaki's influence over his films are huge as director, but you have to remember the whole team of people behind him putting the work in. Yonebayashi and Goro's styles are different to Miyazaki's, as is Takahata's. Yes, Miyazaki is most certainly a genius, he has every element of creating a powerful animation nailed and his confidence in what he does shines through in his work. But I believe that diversity is valuable within Ghibli, and the films produced by different directors have their merits.

Obviously it's a matter of opinion, but there are a good few scenes in both Arrietty and Poppy Hill that are memorable and heart-warming; charming in their own right.

Neither are massively plot-based, (similar to Whisper of the Heart), but I believe that their strength is more in the subtle conveyance of emotions and feelings that viewers can perhaps relate to. Both are coming-of-age type films in different respects - Arrietty is discovering who she is and what she wants as she ages, Umi and Shun are reflecting on their losses in the past and the futures they can perhaps build together.

To say that these films shouldn't need magnificent music, to me, is ludicrous. Miyazaki's reliance on Joe Hisaishi, who composed the music for most of his films, is pretty massive. Imagine the train scene in Spirited Away without 'The Sixth Station', the finale of Princess Mononoke without 'Ashitaka and San, the tree growing scene in My Neighbour Totoro without 'Moonlight Flight'. Arguably, the animation needs the music as much as the music needs the animation!

Very well said. I am most certain that some younger folk (not necessarily his son) down at the studio will take up Miyazaki's mantle and continue his legacy of creating movie magic. Seeing that Poppy hill is among my top 5 favorites, I wouldn't mind more of films like that being made, to say the least. To be honest, I never really care much about the plot (especially when watching anime), but I'm more interested in the character development and the general "feel" of the movie. And in this aspect, Ghibli movies is, in my opinion, light year ahead of Disney. i don't know about you but I think there's a lot of heartwarming scenes in From upon Poppy Hill that hit me really hard: *SPOIL ALERT* when Umi put down the flag and in a flash she saw Shun jumping down from the roof, her confused expression is as if indicative of a feeling of attachment to a boy she just met - a feeling so foreign to her humdrum existence that when it came for the first time, it stroke her with speechless awe; or when she seemingly woke up in the morning to find her mother cooking in the kitchen and her father coming to her and embracing her, telling her that he would stay for a real long time... and then she woke up for real this time, tears streaming down her face, realizing it was but a dream...but then she quickly wipe her tears, suppressed her pain and carried on with her everyday chores. It is such a subtle yet powerful expression of her subdued pain and her determination in returning to path of duties, it makes me want to give the poor girl a hug. Speaking of which, Umi is one of my favorite female leads from all Ghibli movies, I would totally marry her if I had the chance. She's a very sensitive but strong and independent girl who is not afraid to speak her mind, she suffered loss and was able to move on, she has strong morals but she also values her sacred feeling (To Shun: "even if we're related, my feelings for you will never change), she's very feminine, she knows how to mange a household, she's honest and strong-willed, she's everything a man could ask for. Somehow she reminds of Jane Eyre (yet another fictitious girl that I desperately fell in love with). Why am I talking about this, I don't even remember what I began with in the first place. Oh right, what I want to say is Ghibli movies will still be great without Hayo Miyazaki even if they won't be the same as when he directs them
Anyway, peace and long live Ghibli

Post last edited by NausicaaLover on 09.14.2013, 03:42 PM.

09.14.2013, 03:41 PM NausicaaLover is offline   Profile for NausicaaLover Add NausicaaLover to your buddy list
~OneSummersDay~
Calcifer

Registration Date: 08.12.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ~OneSummersDay~ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree entirely! Poppy Hill is also up there in my top 5

09.15.2013, 04:36 AM ~OneSummersDay~ is offline   Profile for ~OneSummersDay~ Add ~OneSummersDay~ to your buddy list
Koda
Ohmu

I saw it at the cinema, From Up On Poppy Hill was a great film. I did really enjoy it, it was amazing to see in the cinema. I saw it with 3 of my friends, and my Girlfriend. It was a really good turnout.

I was hoping it would be busy, because it might perhaps encourage the cinema to show more Studio Ghibli films in the future. There was only 1 showing of the film, but because the cinema is a rather posh cinema they only have 1 screen, 1-2 showings a day 1-2 a night.

So they spared up the 1 space they had that day to show it, so it must show they have faith and it was on a Saturday.

09.16.2013, 01:20 AM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A very interesting article about the implications of Miyazaki's retirement:

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_japan/.../AJ201309270012

09.28.2013, 11:29 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Miyazaki's attention to detail is what makes the movie magic, yet surprisingly is also what kills it as a business? Wow.

I have to disagree with the part about Kondo's decision in the "skirt scene", assuming it's the part where she crouches down to talk to Muta softly. While it's true that I don't see many girls tucking in the skirt while squatting down, it's also not that uncommon a practice.

The argument also reminds me of Takahata's Only Yesterday. One scene depicted one of Taeko's sisters in a miniskirt, and that "like many girls, held a bag behind them when going up the escalator".

If this "practice" was as common as stated during that period, than it's not hard to believe that tucking your skirt under before sitting is a common practice too.

Also, I think it's too much of a stretch to say that someone who is not overly conscious will also ignore public decency or common social practice. In that sense I highly disagree with Miyazaki. In any case, I don't think the panchira culture even existed in those times, so personal decency and manners of old japan must still exist. Especially when Shizuku has a soft-mannered father like that.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

09.28.2013, 09:50 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't think Miyazaki's point was that it's an uncommon thing to do... Just that his Shizuku wouldn't have done it. Unless I misread it?

IMO, the film is no worse this way. I like Kondo's vision of Shizuku's character and I think it suits her pretty well. It's interesting to me that Miyazaki would have done things differently.

09.28.2013, 10:42 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks mush for sharing the article.

@all
Ghibli is truly unique that it can think of making films without profit.

Kaguya hime will be flop considering the budget. So this kind of great scale movies will just vanish. talking about anime outsourcing it seems indian subcontinent mostly pakistan and india does a lot of it. That is why all the anime look same. I liked summer-wars I would like to see how hosada does ghibli thing. it is quite impossible. Example think of arriety and any of big ghiblis(takahata or miyazaki) you will see the difference in detail color. Poppy hill still does have some quality but maybe that is for different reason.My point is ghibli and nonghibli are two different genre how can a anime director easily maintain with ghibli.

I do not know but i actually saw that hand when i first saw the film. if it was not there then i might not have seen it at all (ignore and forget) and i also thought director did that on purpose. So i think thats the point of miyazaki. let the frame flow not to make it obstructive. Such as if i am concious then i would have first check if it is clean where i am sitting. if i am not doing that i would not have done that either.
it is actually stupid to talk about it at all.it just does not matter.

miyazaki should hire me to make his films.LOL

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

09.29.2013, 03:44 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mush
I don't think Miyazaki's point was that it's an uncommon thing to do... Just that his Shizuku wouldn't have done it. Unless I misread it?

No, you read it right. I'm just arguing that her personality shouldn't have a bearing on the act of tucking in a skirt, which is more a social norm than a personality feature.

I mean, think about it: regardless of a girl's personality, have you ever seen a girl in a skirt unconsciously sit open-legged like a guy?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

09.29.2013, 04:09 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller

I mean, think about it: regardless of a girl's personality, have you ever seen a girl in a skirt unconsciously sit open-legged like a guy?

I think there is a scene (manga) in karekano(actually karekano has some really bizarre things that are disgusting).

I really dont know why we are talking about girls skirts.

One of My most favorite interest is people behavior why two people act differently.That is my intention here too but it is embarassing to talk about it. it is good that its all text.

@roar
i dont think its about social norm.its more consciousness than norm. little girls(5-8 ) do that all the time. after 10 i think you start to think diffetently i am not sure i am not a girl. but i remember after 12-13 although my mother wanted to make me wear shorts i did not wanted to.i felt shy to show my legs in public(i was a boy so nobody cared actually) but played football wearing shorts. now i dont wear shorts(there is a religious restriction too) at all. But people wear shorts in west all the time.But they(foreign or local) seem odd to me just like the girls wearing reaviling cloth look.So it is a mixture of two [norm+consciousness].

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 09.29.2013, 06:53 AM.

09.29.2013, 06:51 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My view is that regardless of whether Shizuku had tucked her skirt under herself or not, almost no viewer would have attributed a personality quirk to the action/lack of action.

I've watched the film many times and picked it apart scene by scene but I have never paid a thought to that scene; it didn't strike me such that I even noticed it.

I think this shows that Miyazaki, if he has any fault, is that he's overly attentive to small details. That article appears to back that up by suggesting that his style over the years might have stifled his animator's creativity.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.29.2013, 07:45 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank That article appears to back that up by suggesting that his style over the years might have stifled his animator's creativity.

I think thats a big implication that animators might have hidden talent which they could not show. On the contrary i think the studio always wanted to make new directors thats why goro came or hosada will come.

09.29.2013, 10:42 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Having, as Saddles has done, watched "Whisper..." many, many times I was aware of the scene where Shizuku squats down to talk to Muta and was aware of the motion where as she is squatting down, she is tucking her skirt under her thighs. I have seen this action so many times in real life that I didn't really think of it at all, except in passing as something a girl would normally do while wearing a skirt. In my generation, most girls wore skirts to school and in general and the older ones used this action for two reasons. If it was a longer skirt it was done to keep the material off of the ground and in a shorter skirt, to keep the material smooth and wrinkle free. I don't think that the 'underwear showing' aspect comes into play because most girls of Shizuku's age would have learned to do something like this automatically. A guy would have a similar action when he sits, lifting the trousers at the knees while sitting to preserve the crease. I kind of equate the two actions as similar, but gender specific.

I quite understand Miyazaki's characterization between the action and non-action of the skirt tucking.

@savior:
The discussion isn't about a 'skirt', but about the action involved in tucking the skirt under as Shizuku is sitting down and as it relates to the article in which it is mentioned as a way in which Miyazaki would have rendered it differently.

09.29.2013, 01:18 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

@husky

I know what this discussion is about but it somehow involves girls skirt.But i said it does not matter.

And i agree with your point that its common both in men and women.

atleast i have done it many times like when i used to wear short tshirts i just checked if any of my skin was revealed but i am not sure if its consciousness or something else. i find it strange that of all the other things we could discuss we picked this one up ,why? i do not have a straight answer.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 09.29.2013, 02:01 PM.

09.29.2013, 01:57 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's because not every discussion has to be a serious one. We can have light-hearted discussions, too...

09.29.2013, 02:15 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks