QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Daily Discussion!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Daily Discussion! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4    »  ]
DailyDiscussion
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.15.13
  Daily Discussion!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by DailyDiscussion Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Every day, a topic will be chosen to discuss. Topics can range from being political to goofy to downright insane!

Today's daily discussion shall be:
What are your views on religion?

09.15.2013, 09:17 PM DailyDiscussion is offline   Profile for DailyDiscussion Add DailyDiscussion to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow, such a random first post. But anyway, welcome!

Generally, I'm wary of religion as an institute. But I am a spiritual person and I feel a great wonder with the world (universe, really) and everything in it.

09.16.2013, 12:55 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm curious whether this is an existing member on a different account... Anyway, could be a good idea, if potentially volatile.

So I have no problem with people being religious but I don't belong to any religion myself. I'm not a fan of organised religion, which I think causes a lot of problems, and it concerns me when religious beliefs impinge on other things - for example, discriminatory laws based on outdated scriptural quotes, or refusal to trust important medical treatment. Some religious stories/ideas sound crazy to me, but then I'm sure others think the same way about some of my beliefs.

09.16.2013, 01:02 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I'm curious whether this is an existing member on a different account... Anyway, could be a good idea, if potentially volatile.

So I have no problem with people being religious but I don't belong to any religion myself. I'm not a fan of organised religion, which I think causes a lot of problems, and it concerns me when religious beliefs impinge on other things - for example, discriminatory laws based on outdated scriptural quotes, or refusal to trust important medical treatment. Some religious stories/ideas sound crazy to me, but then I'm sure others think the same way about some of my beliefs.

i also think that might be a possibility

specially after my joining i have been talking about this a lot. however if it is a new account then Welcome to the mysterious and wonderful universe of studio ghibli

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 09.16.2013, 01:35 AM.

09.16.2013, 01:34 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Is it just me, or does this . . . seem like it might not be a real person?

Anyway I was raised in a religious household but no longer subscribe to any religion. I think religion is a way for people to bring order and meaning to their lives. In societies where much of the natural chaos of life has been reduced (i.e. first world countries), people tend to place less value in it. I think that's probably why very few people are religious in Japan, because the society's so safe and rigidly structured.

I don't see anything wrong with people who organize their lives along religious principles as long as they don't interfere with the rights of others.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 09.16.2013, 01:45 AM.

09.16.2013, 01:44 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The interfering of religious institutions with the rights of others is one my main contentions with them.

But idk. Usually fake accounts go to the effort of filling out more details in their profile. We'll see if they come back, I guess. If not, fun thread idea Maybe make it a discussion of the week to account for our level of activity.

09.16.2013, 03:37 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
~OneSummersDay~
Calcifer

Registration Date: 08.12.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ~OneSummersDay~ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My situation is similar to Orphic - raised in a religious household but no longer religious. My parents are Christians and I greatly respect their faith, it just isn't what I believe in.

Considering the name of the original poster, seems likely they're a robot and not a real person. I like the idea of this thread regardless! So, new discussion of the day:

Do you own any pets? I have a cat called Hunter. He's a blue korat, which is sub-breed of Siamese. In the 90s they were nearly extinct and then they started breeding them in Thailand again. Here's my boy!

09.16.2013, 04:03 AM ~OneSummersDay~ is offline   Profile for ~OneSummersDay~ Add ~OneSummersDay~ to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Aww come on. Let me have some faith that not everyone I come across online is a robot It seems increasingly likely on the Tavern these days, anyway.

That's a pretty cat ^^ No pets for me. Never have, probably never will. I like small doses of cute animals. Don't feel entirely responsible enough to look after one for life.

09.16.2013, 05:54 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It doesn't strike me as a bot, since the post sounds too realistic and there's no attempt at advertising or anything similar.

I have also never had a pet! Having never had one, I feel like it would be hard to get used to now. I might want a cat some time, but I'm not sure...

09.16.2013, 07:17 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Pets? Yeah, I've got pets. Seven dogs. Leo, Ada, Dahlia, Iris, Sienna and Indris are whippets, and then there's Aggie. She's a borzoi and she's kind of massive. I also have some tropical fish.

I kind of want a cat. Used to have a couple.

My Anime List

09.16.2013, 09:02 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Over the years, by count my ex and I had over 175 cats... They just seemed to come and go, we never tried to restrict their movement. During this time we had about 10 dogs, the most memorable being Shannon (beagle mix), River (Blk Lab) and Brandy (Rottweiler). Brandy was rescued from an abusive owner and I took her on. She was a good dog for me. Also during this time, we had rabbits, mice, rats, guinea pigs (Rosie was with us for 5 years, quite a while for a Guinea Pig), snakes and tropical fish.

I remember Bear, my sons cat. After navy boot camp and training, when he had his own home he took Bear and had him for a lot of years. Then we had the "Drier Cat", a big black male who got put thru a dryer cycle one day. My wife noticed a thumping sound coming from the laundry drier (like when a pair of tennies are being dried), she checked and found the cat in very bad shape. Luckily I was home, I took hot wet towels and slowly lowered his body temp back down to normal with cooler and cooler towels over a period of time. He came out of it fine except where the edges of his ears had crisped a bit and the hair grew back white along the edges. My wife never left the drier door open again.

There was also Flash (a big male orange tabby cat) and Tiny (female Boston Terrier mix) that I had as a child. Funny thing about those two, the cat Flash kind of adopted the dog. Taught her to catch gophers in the yard. It was funny watching Tiny stalking like a cat. Then when Flash was hit by a car and was lying in the yard while I was digging his burial hole, when I went to get him, Tiny was lying with her head on his side whimpering loudly. I burst into tears and had to get mom to finish the job. Tore me up...

09.16.2013, 09:49 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

is dalmesian [that is from 101 dogs show in disney] pricey?

do not want to get info from google right now.

I had a pet chicken once and also a little dog.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

09.16.2013, 10:36 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I strongly suspect this is a well-known Tavern member using a second account. I'm just curious why.

I love cats. Have owned 7 over the years. I find them always a great stress reliever, source of fun and companionship. Where I'm currently living in rented accomodation though, I can't have pets which is a pain.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.16.2013, 10:39 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I strongly suspect this is a well-known Tavern member using a second account. I'm just curious why.

I love cats. Have owned 7 over the years. I find them always a great stress reliever, source of fun and companionship. Where I'm currently living in rented accomodation though, I can't have pets which is a pain.

who?

pm me if you do not want to say that in public

about pets i have never seen one die in front of my eyes. I am lucky.

You guys bury them or there is paid/free services for it.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 09.16.2013, 02:57 PM.

09.16.2013, 02:31 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
is dalmesian [that is from 101 dogs show in disney] pricey?

do not want to get info from google right now.

I had a pet chicken once and also a little dog.

I'm sure they are. Pedigree dogs are always expensive. It's just a matter of how expensive. Funnily enough, some of the smaller breeds are the more expensive ones.

My Anime List

09.16.2013, 02:45 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've buried many, many of my pets over the years, but you can have a veterinarian do for a fee...

That's spelled Dalmatian, saviour

Post last edited by husky51 on 09.16.2013, 03:24 PM.

09.16.2013, 03:22 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.12.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm. I don't think it's a bot. The person seems comfy talking to us.

I've had... maybe.. umm..
Well, I've had hundreds of fishies. A hamster, a bunny, my Rottweiler right now, Tinkerbell, who isn't wearing any of her bandanas in this picture, unfortunately:

And a helluva lot of reptiles. 63? Sounds about right. I've only had 2 slightly venomous snakes, though.

Ahh! I forgot my birdies!

Post last edited by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g on 09.16.2013, 05:21 PM.

09.16.2013, 03:34 PM San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g is offline   Profile for San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Add San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g to your buddy list Homepage of San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Ooh, reptiles. I like reptiles, though I've never actually kept any myself. What kinds do you have? Geckos? Chameleons?

My Anime List

09.16.2013, 04:05 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.12.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I bred leopard geckos for a while... the most wonderful feeling is finding an egg, keeping care of it, and watching it hatch (if you're lucky). Bearded dragons, crested geckos, dwarf viper geckos, and a mostly snakes. I LOVE snakes. Oh, and a tortoise.

09.16.2013, 04:09 PM San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g is offline   Profile for San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Add San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g to your buddy list Homepage of San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
husky51
The Old Guy

I forgot the Desert tortoise we had in our care for over three years. Sir Giles we called him. He had been run over and I found him alongside of the road. He had a bad leg and couldn't draw it in all the way. Unfortunately, a neighbors dog got hold of him one day when he was by the fence (by the bad leg).

@San
What kind of slightly poisonous snakes?

09.16.2013, 07:09 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks