QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - US govt shutdown
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » US govt shutdown » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  US govt shutdownPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have not done any research it seems that as institution govt if it is not given money it will not function.

US has such a strange law. I was little when the other shut down happened in clinton era.

But it does not seem right every other stock exchange in the world is down. why?

" national parks,
historic sites, and museums
(such as the Smithsonian) will
be the first to pull down
shutters. Although the
government has said the
military will continue to be
funded, mail services will run
as usual, and social security
payments will be made,
perhaps a fourth of the 3.3
million government workers
who are deemed non-
essential will be furloughed
— i.e. asked to stay home
without pay — till the
gridlock is broken."

many of those companies depend on export or somehow related to those people. 3.3 million worker means 3.3X5=16.5 million people. (i saw it says one fourth but number is not a very important point)

Republicans are not only war liking they are also stupid and inconsiderate. I hope republicans never win any election ever. They are opposing a law which protects poor. shame on them.

Based on very small knowledge i will be obliged if any american here light on the issue.

edit: remember what i said about businessmen in the sensor thread. that they wont allow obama to do good. all these events right after UN summit after his speech about changing policy, And after talking with iranian President

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 09.30.2013, 03:52 PM.

09.30.2013, 03:20 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Didn't a shutdown occur not that long ago too? I'm not American so I don't really know the effects. But my parents are pretty meh about it. My American friends aren't at all concerned either. I don't think it lasts very long? I could be wrong.

09.30.2013, 04:44 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The USA has simply run up huge, huge debts by waging its war on terror. Cuts need to be made somewhere and with the hawks in power it won't be the armed forces.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.30.2013, 04:58 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

OK, I don't follow the politics of my country very much, I probably should, but I don't.

I am not going to go into it any more than this post...

All of this has nothing to do with the Iranian President's visit or talk with Obama... The USA financial problems were well in effect long before the NEW Iranian President's inauguration...

Social Security will not stop. It is set up a year in advance...

Until a new budget is made, National Parks, Federal museums, etc will be closed...

The Post Office is separate from the US Government and will continue to serve the public.

CIVILIAN military workers may be furloughed. How much or how many is not really known at this time.

This DEADLOCK is in The Congress and until a majority of it's members get it together, it will continue...

I know nothing more, nor do I want to discuss it. It will just frustrate me more.

09.30.2013, 05:50 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.12.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, my mom's main concern is that tomorrow she may or may not have work. She works for the IRS and she's been having more and more furlough days as of late.

09.30.2013, 05:52 PM San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g is offline   Profile for San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Add San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g to your buddy list Homepage of San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It is bad for the econony everywhere right?

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

10.01.2013, 12:35 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Define "everywhere".

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.01.2013, 03:51 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Generally anything that happens in the US is blown out of proportion such that it affects "everywhere", yes.

@San: Lol IRS srsly?

@husky: Um, yeah, you should follow a bit more... is what I want to say, but not many people actually care about their govt in the developed world. Aware, maybe, but not to the point of actually caring, haha.

That said, I bet the US can save a ton of money just by pulling out of every foreign nation they are occupying. Juz sayin'.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

10.01.2013, 10:06 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
I bet the US can save a ton of money just by pulling out of every foreign nation they are occupying. Juz sayin'.

Agreed, but my comment about that not happening while the hawks are in power is the main problem America faces right now. She needs to stop being the world's cop. She needs to even stop thinking the world needs a cop.

10.01.2013, 12:57 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I do agree with your statement in general, Saddles, but we will always have hawks in our government over here, whether for good or for bad. I've always thought that we should take care of our own problems before trying to take on the worlds problems.

I think that the biggest problem in the shutdown is the conflict between the Republican and the Democratic parties. They both have their own agendas and don't seem to want to budge from that.

What irks me the most, I suppose, is that while the Congress is stalemating the budget and causing the shutdown, the Congress still receives its full salary and medical benefits. It doesn't matter whether their constituency is suffering, they get full pay, etc.

If they were affected as much as the rest of us, it might not have happened.

10.01.2013, 01:26 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
She needs to stop being the world's cop. She needs to even stop thinking the world needs a cop.

what is the point then just britain or france will be that cop.

Truth to be told i am more relaxed to see america as that cop than britain or france. as there is at least some presence of people all over the world than britain or france.

I think you should rephrase it to the powerful world leader should stop trying to dominate the world.

Thanks.

10.01.2013, 01:39 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nah, Britain couldn't manage alone. We're too small.

My Anime List

10.01.2013, 01:47 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
Nah, Britain couldn't manage alone. We're too small.

ever heard sun does not set in british kingdom. I am more afraid[due to their violent nature they showed in my country] of britain after israil(which i forgot to mention which is more technologically advanced than any nation and exploiting us uk to fulfill their need).if israil gets that power well...

welcome to ultimate chaos!!!!!!

@husky

i forgot to mention everything is linked that is what i have trying to make you people understand to see the big picture war(arms and weapon) health and monopoly business(media copyright) all these tend to attarct lots and lots of money. wish i had a lot of time.recently i have found if i try to make you guys understand something politely you guys understand.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 10.01.2013, 03:06 PM.

10.01.2013, 03:01 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah, Saviour - Britain is a pretty damn diverse country, there is a lot of presence from people 'all over the world'. We also, from what I understand, don't have half the ties to Israel that America does. It's pretty obvious that Obama's determination to become involved in Syria was a result of the Iran/Israel rivalry, even.

Britain doesn't have the resources to be the world's cop in the same way as America. Neither does it have (at least to the same extent) the same culture of terrorism paranoia that leads to the American government gaining support for their fights in the Middle East.

I don't know, my grasp on politics isn't the best and I'm obviously bias, but personally if I was in your shoes I would be far more wary of the American attitude towards being the dodgy white knight of the world, than Britain's foreign policies.

10.01.2013, 05:20 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
ever heard sun does not set in british kingdom.

"The sun never sets on the British empire" is the phrase you refer to and it makes me chuckle to see someone using that quote in a discussion about contemporary politics. I believe it was spoken by Lord Salisbury in 1861 and often quoted thereafter.

1861. A hundred and fifty years ago. Okay?

No longer relevant.

The sun has long set on the British empire as there is no longer any such thing. The British Commonwealth is merely a loose politco-economic fossil held together by the social glue of our royal family and it owes us no military obligation.

Britain is far too liberal, even left wing to be any threat to anyone anymore and why you should be concerned about her meddling in foreign affairs to even a fraction of how much the USA does Saviour I cannot guess. I can't remember any military conflict in which Britain involved herself without first gaining the sanction of the UN, or hanging onto the USA's coat-tails since well before the Falklands in 1982.

10.01.2013, 07:23 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

lol merika.

10.01.2013, 07:47 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

So basically the UK people are saying britain no longer have the ability to take over the world.

Maybe that is true but they do not have that expectation that is not true.

@NC

britain has little presence of people all over the world. I can say there is a hell lot of bangladeshis , even bangladeshi mps there is britain. but every country is not as fortunate as mine. But i have not been there so i can not be too sure.

I think although my reason was right i have failed to pin point the fact.America is infact behind every mishap happening in the world. I fear america less because there is more people who think like me or more people who can actively crticise govt or even criticise their society or think about their faults.problem is they are poor or powerless and most of the time exploited by those businessmen.But in britain or france people actively take pride in their system although it is wrong top to bottom.They or you guys from my view point can not think me as one of you, thats a shame cause i can think any person in the world except some ruthless people, like bush, as one of ours without hesitating.America had been like that although recently for the last few years the way it acted toward world's people was the reason why now everybody does not like it.The thing is we all need to be the part of a world community as soon as possible.There must not be any selfishness nor pride. when someone here said in the first world countries where there is laws rules regulations there religion is not needed.i was sad at that statement not because of religion but bacause some of you think you live or are in a superior position. That is a great problem. And there is saddle, if he represents middle aged british(who in my opinion does not even consider anything bad about western system) then i am really skeptic about world peace.There is problem in the world and most of it is because of western system where businessmen dominates. You guys must come to the platform of attaining world peace accepting that fact. otherwise world peace wont come in our lifetime.So hope i have been able to decompress my thoughts.

Although many of my opinion were toward person but were not personal in any sense, saddletank dont mind i do not have anything against you but here in this region (indian subcontinent) they say you should be like that.which i think should not be right.Conceptually any british french or american people is bad is wrong in my opinion. but thats the concept here in indian subcontinent (where total population is about 1.5 billion+).and i have not found anything against that mind-setup.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 10.01.2013, 11:38 PM.

10.01.2013, 11:34 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

America's weird.

I'm sure most nations consider themselves exceptional in some sense, but America seems to have a particularly bad superiority complex. I'm not sure why we can't just get over ourselves and stop being imperialistic assholes like England and Japan managed to do. You'd think we'd have gotten it out of our systems by now.

10.01.2013, 11:42 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
What irks me the most, I suppose, is that while the Congress is stalemating the budget and causing the shutdown, the Congress still receives its full salary and medical benefits. It doesn't matter whether their constituency is suffering, they get full pay, etc.

If Congress shutting down causes their pay to stall as well, you'll see how fast they get things done

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

10.02.2013, 08:39 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saviour, I think you'd actually be really surprised by British attitudes towards our government if you experienced it first hand - I think I could count the amount of people I know who don't think our current government is a joke on one hand.

Recently, on a British chat show hosted by a comedian called Alan Carr, he had Jamie Foxx and Channing Tatum (Americans) on the show. Foxx and Tatum were saying how the thought of terrorists attacking the White House would ignite a feeling of protective patriotism in most Americans. Alan Carr responded by telling them that if anybody tried to blow up 10 Downing Street, most of the population of Britain would be cheering them on.

This is hugely accurate.

Yes, I think we consider our general system of democracy to be a good one - our laws tend to be liberal and pro-equality, which I think is great. Our actual government though and the people who run it are massively criticised though. And I mean openly criticised, everyday, by pretty much every single publication and talk show in existence.

As far as diversity is concerned, a census in 2011 found that less than half the population of London were white. In our major cities there is quite a bit of diversity, and even outside I'd say there is more than I've experienced when visiting other European countries. At my secondary school I'd say the proportion of Asian students was at least 40%.

I'm not saying Britain is some ideal - it reaaaaaally isn't, it has a huge amount of problems, and a lot of the population have some pretty sketchy views towards foreign countries. I just think you might have a slightly inaccurate view of it.

Post last edited by Nausicaa_Cat on 10.02.2013, 02:42 PM.

10.02.2013, 02:42 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks