QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Hi, im new to Studio Ghibli movies. Recommendations needed.
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Hi, im new to Studio Ghibli movies. Recommendations needed. » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.23.05
  Hi, im new to Studio Ghibli movies. Recommendations needed.Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Unreal Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi, im new to Studio Ghibli movies

I'm looking for some recommendations.

I've seen Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke and i loved them both. Are there any other movies which are similiar?

I'm about to buy "Grave of the Fireflies" which ive heard a lot of good things about.

I've also read good things about "The Cat Returns" and "Porco Rosso" but im not too keen on talking Cats and talking Pigs, are they really that good?

Also, what is Castle In The Sky (Laputa) like?

Thanks

08.23.2005, 09:44 AM Unreal is offline   Profile for Unreal Add Unreal to your buddy list
Darren
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.22.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Darren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Excellent. Grave of the Fireflies is an awesome movie, but since you're buying that one and you're going to watch it, I won't be telling you what it's like. Only the grief and depression for the main characters :/

Here is my description on Laputa (No Spoilers):

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~ _~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_

Laputa is a legendary kingdom floating somewhere in the sky. Pazu, the main character, rescues a girl slowly descending from the night sky with a glowing pendant around her neck otherwise known as, the "Levistone."

A group of air pirates with the leader as an old lady named Dola is after the pendant this girl wore. As well, the army and military is after the girl because they figured she had some sort of connection with Laputa, which they believed Laputa had a whole mountain of treasure.

Pazu and Sheeta become best friends. As well, Sheeta has agree to help Pazu search for Laputa, since it was Pazu's dad who had taken the first evidencial camera shot of Laputa.

The rest of the story is basically the search for Laputa.

Overall, it is my favourite Ghibli Film. So I HIGHLY recommend it!

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~ _~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_

If you're wondering about other recommendations, I would suggest Nausicaa.

08.23.2005, 09:58 AM Darren is offline   Profile for Darren Add Darren to your buddy list Homepage of Darren AIM Screenname: Private Message Me YIM Screenname: None
howl_chan_wa_kawaii
Tanuki

Registration Date: 08.09.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by howl_chan_wa_kawaii Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

See my post under subject, "Howl's Moving Castle Release in UK Date?" about my recommendation of Howl's Moving Castle.

Totoro is also good to see in my opinion, one of the predicessors (sorry can't spell today) of Spirited Away. I love Miyazaki's ability to draw wind, weather, and the elements.

sekai no yakusoku.
- Promise of the World

-- Why did Chihiro have to let go of Haku's hand? Why Chihiro do you make me cry buckets of tears?... sob--

Please report pirated Ghibli/Disney products: tips@disneyantipiracy.com or the confidential Antipiracy voice mail hotline, 818-560-3300.
Please protect Mr. Miyazaki's works.

My Howl's MC viewing addiction - final theatre count: 11 showings

08.24.2005, 06:50 AM howl_chan_wa_kawaii is offline   Profile for howl_chan_wa_kawaii Add howl_chan_wa_kawaii to your buddy list Send an Email to howl_chan_wa_kawaii
pasky
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by pasky Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" could be called Princess Mononoke's companion - the main theme is the same and the story flows in similar ways. It might be said that Nausicaa was kind of Miyazaki's "Mononoke: First try". He himself didn't regard it as successful one, though - especially wrt. the ending (that's probably why would he do Mononoke, after all). The story might be perceived less compex, and the artwork less mature. Nevertheless it is still a great epic and I actually still (perhaps irrationally) like it more than Mononoke. If you loved Mononoke, you will likely like Nausicaa as well.

08.29.2005, 03:17 PM pasky is offline   Profile for pasky Add pasky to your buddy list Send an Email to pasky Homepage of pasky
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks