QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Studying in Japan!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions Studying in Japan! Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ohmygodthatlastpicwaddaheckizzatIdonteven

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

02.27.2014, 10:28 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's a good thing that the sculpture's name was written on the accompanying banner or we might never have known what it was supposed to be...

02.27.2014, 04:26 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

tremendous amount of money time and energy wasted for something soo temporary

yeah ................

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

02.27.2014, 11:11 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Time and energy certainly, but I don't know how costly it is to produce the sculptures. They make them from snow that already exists, and work in teams to erect them. I saw one as it was being made, and it seemed the snow had been formed into big bricks elsewhere, then brought to the site to be sculpted.

It also brings in loads and loads of money for the city from tourism, so it's not really a waste, is it?

02.28.2014, 03:11 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
It also brings in loads and loads of money for the city from tourism, so it's not really a waste, is it?

if you think that way then okay

about cost i feel like that there is a giant fridge under those sculptures cause in my opinion they should melt very fast due to lighting and other factors.

i feel that this is not correct
quote:
They make them from snow that already exists

as you mentioned cause snow is not ice
quote:
it seemed the snow had been formed into big bricks elsewhere

at those temps it should not be possible to make brick hard ice naturally. It should actually be called frozen water. If they fill us a huge pool and freeze it then they could get those but my question is , is it possible.However these are my personal opinions and i have never experienced snowfall so my judgement may be wrong.I have no idea if temperature is that low there or not

I saw a guy making the word discovery in discovery channel and saw it required many equipments and precautions so it does not melt.

WAIT

i might be totally wrong

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_sculpture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_sculpture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ice...culpture_events

it seems there are both types.

quote:
The Japanese city of Sapporo on the island of Hokkaidō is famous for its winter carnival, in which teams compete to create ice sculptures. Some of these creations are the size of multiple-story buildings. Japanese sculptors have made many contributions to the art. Notable Japanese ice sculptors include Yukio Matsuo, author of "Ice Sculpture: Secrets of a Japanese Master," Mitsuo Shimizu, author of several Japanese books on ice sculpture, and Junichi Nakamura, winner of multiple world ice sculpting titles. Ice sculpture has been popular in Japan since the 1930s and an early advocate and teacher in the country was Shuko Kobayashi, the first chairman of the Japan Ice Sculpture Association.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 02.28.2014, 04:44 AM.

02.28.2014, 04:34 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Why not accept something as being merely beautiful, savior, just for the pleasure it brings to the eye? Everything does not have to be broken down in detail in an attempt to denigrate it. These sculptures are works of art, albeit temporary, and if they are not to your liking, oh well.

02.28.2014, 05:10 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Out of the photographs I showed, the first one is made from ice and all the rest from snow. There were only a small number of ice sculptures there. And I can confirm that it was very cold in Sapporo.

02.28.2014, 06:42 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Why not accept something as being merely beautiful, savior, just for the pleasure it brings to the eye? Everything does not have to be broken down in detail in an attempt to denigrate it. These sculptures are works of art, albeit temporary, and if they are not to your liking, oh well.

no husky i like the sculptures very very much[except it is a naked or provoking]

but i think only my liking is not worth the price

actually i dont agree with this

quote:
as being merely beautiful, just for the pleasure it brings to the eye?

i always try not to do something just for pleasure . Cause i feel that people do many unacceptable works for this pleasure thing. [as it varies person to person]

@arren

Okay. I get it.Thanks
----------------------------------------

and as i say always any comment about art is personal. I just feel that way.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 02.28.2014, 07:12 AM.

02.28.2014, 07:05 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Sorry I haven't posted much for a while! I've been very busy in the last couple of weeks, but I've taken lots of pictures, so once I'm more active I'll start posting them again.

03.21.2014, 12:13 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There's a place where a guy who serves cappucino coffees makes each froth topping into a beautiful sculpture or picture. These "works of art" vanish within minutes and only the artist and the person who drinks the coffee can appreciate them, unless photographs are taken, but even so this is a legitimate use of time, skill and energy because it brings people PLEASURE.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cappuc...920&bih=940

Even if a work of art only brings value to the person who created it, it is worthwhile.

You're now saying that something that only brings pleasure to people you cannot like, just because some people do some unacceptable things purely for pleasure. That's so... twisted and negative. You have a bitter mind.

I agree that places like Sapporo that have ice sculpture festivals attract many tourists and tourists will always inject money into a community. There's no "if you say so" about it - its fact.

Really Saviour, just accept that there is beauty and pleasure in many apparently trivial things and as Husky says, don't go through your life dissecting everything and deciding that if it doesn't slot neatly into your personal life values system then it is without any value altogether. You keep going on and on about Kaze Tachinu not winning the Oscars but quite frankly, so what? That work has brought pleasure to tens of thousands and I expect Hayao Miyazaki is very satisfied with it.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.22.2014, 02:02 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Saddle as i said anything about art is my personal opinion.

.. . ........

03.23.2014, 03:03 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Never mind. That conversation happened about a month ago. Based on having really been there, I was very impressed by the sculptures and don't think it's a waste.

Anyway, I'm now back in Kyoto so I'll be able to post something again soon. Any particular requests?

03.23.2014, 08:01 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

I've taken a while sorting through all my photos from March (there's still plenty in between too...) but I was doing some today which included the Ghibli Museum! I figured that would be of particular interest here. Note that they're all from outside, because photography isn't allowed in the museum itself.

And this one is all the things that I bought there! This excludes a postcard I forgot to take a picture of, and one of the beer bottles from the earlier picture. I also have closer-up pictures of several of them.

06.03.2014, 09:55 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Great T-shirt.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.03.2014, 12:08 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

It also has a design on the back! I'll put up a picture of that some time tomorrow so you can see.

06.03.2014, 12:13 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

The back of the T-shirt, as promised:

Also, since I have other pictures too, I'll post them here. First are these little film frames which you can put under a lens to view a very very short portion of animation. You get one when you go in, and you use it to go in to the cinema room, but these I bought in the shop.

This is a viewer for the frames, which they also sold in the shop.

And this is a postcard which folds into a little model of the museum. As you can see, I folded it myself, so I have no intention of using it as a postcard.

06.04.2014, 09:20 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That post card is really cute How does that viewer work?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.05.2014, 04:15 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

You can see the lens in that photo. Also pictured is the little frame card that I got when I turned up. It's slotted into a bit in the back of the viewer, so that you then slide the card up and down to show the different frames, and look through the lens to see them properly.

06.05.2014, 04:46 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

Recently I was sorting the photos I took in Korea, so here are some of them:

07.13.2014, 05:57 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

That swordsmanship display is very neat, love the colourful costumes.

How do the Koreans feel about the Japanese? Did you get any hint of emnity? I know the Japanese have historically claimed the country and given them a hard time in various incidents.

07.13.2014, 06:55 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks