QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Official Kaguya-hime no Monogatari(The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter) New
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Official Kaguya-hime no Monogatari(The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter) New Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3    »  ]
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Official Kaguya-hime no Monogatari(The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter) NewPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter ( かぐや姫の物語 Kaguya-hime no Monogatari, "The Tale of Princess Kaguya" ) is a 2013 Japanese animated film produced by Studio Ghibli, and directed and co-written by Isao Takahata, based on the folktale The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter.[1][2] This is his fifth film for Studio Ghibli and his first in 14 years.[wikipedia]

Rolling in cinemas all over japan

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 11.30.2013, 02:15 AM.

11.30.2013, 02:14 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Trailers

1.Six minute trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KOKvYDLArg

2Early Trailers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpZQNoqf_CU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10KyiwSCixU

2.Review

http://awsadmin.japantimes.co.jp/culture...a/#.UpCbysRDvz4

all the courtesy goes to leonbloy

Personal opinion: Isao Takahata's film are much more artistic and joe hisaishi has done an excellent job on the music overall it is something more than amazing.The only two directors i think have been able to put their imagination into reality like them is James Cameron and George Lucas. Spielberg is good but not like them. Their work was significantly more difficult being live action. however miyazaki and takahata will be right after them in my list of top creative directors.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

11.30.2013, 02:25 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This one looks good, can't wait

11.30.2013, 06:50 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi, Spidey...

Thanks for the previews, saviour... looking forward to the movie...

Post last edited by husky51 on 12.01.2013, 01:24 AM.

12.01.2013, 01:24 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey, sorry not been active recently. Swamped with exams and course work at college, back now though

12.02.2013, 02:45 AM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I will probably go to the cinema to see it this Friday evening! I'll post about it afterwards.

12.04.2013, 09:04 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'll probably be seeing it early next week. We'll have to compare notes, Arren.

12.05.2013, 07:33 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Seen it! I enjoyed it a lot. The style takes a bit of getting used to, and for a while it's often rather static. However, as it goes on it feels appropriate, as the static style is mostly in the lighthearted and idyllic first section, but then as the plot picks up there's also a lot more motion. The way the art is used is pretty clever, I feel, with the amount of detail varying a lot, and there is often the sense that the main characters are intruding on a painting. So it looks very nice! I liked the story and characters too, but overall it's rather an odd Ghibli, coming from a very old story and using such an unusual art style. But honestly, that's what I would expect from Takahata.

12.06.2013, 11:31 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Takahata is great at doing this. Its a little like he breaks the fourth wall and selects an art style than in itself is a text. He did the same with Yamadas and it worked brilliantly there as well.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.06.2013, 12:00 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

comparing with his other movies how good is this new one?

12.07.2013, 01:57 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm just wondering, based on the animation style, does it seem fitting for it to have consumed so many of Ghibli's animators and so much time and money?

I haven't seen it yet, but based on the trailer, it looks like a minimalist understated style. And yet, Miyazaki was complaining that there were hardly any animators to spare to work on his movie because of how much Takahata's was consuming the entire studio, and how Takahata was paying no regard to finances and making one of the most expensive movies in Ghibli's history.

Comparing the trailers, Kaguya-hime's sketchy art style and frame rate looks more like it could be produced by a very small team on a budget. Whereas Kaze Tachinu looks expensive, with its refined, clean lines and smooth motion.

I'm having a hard time reconciling that with Miyazaki's comments... or is it just that I don't know much about how animation is done?

Post last edited by Mush on 12.07.2013, 02:29 AM.

12.07.2013, 02:28 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I haven't seen the movie yet, but you have to consider that Miyazaki was working well within established animation techniques for Kaze Tachinu. It's a beautiful movie, but it doesn't exactly push the envelope or try anything new. Whereas Takahata is going in a somewhat experimental direction with this film's animation and possibly trying techniques the animators have no prior experience with. I imagine that can be pretty time consuming and expensive.

I can't personally say whether the experiment paid off or not, or whether it was worth the extra time and money. But I do think there's value in trying new things.

12.07.2013, 06:17 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

i think it may be possible that no frames could be re-used. thats why the very high cost. little comparing to 3d american movies

12.07.2013, 07:50 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Mush - I actually thought about this when I saw it. Backgrounds are sometimes completely unmoving, especially early in the film, and whereas in Miyazaki's usual style there's a lot of activity among background characters, it's not like that in this. That's why I got that impression of character intruding on a painting - sometimes people won't start moving until they have speaking parts, and though it takes some getting used to, I ended up enjoying the effect.

I expect the real answer is something along the lines of what Orphic said. To make the animation work with this art style probably involved much more complex techniques in comparison to Kaze Tachinu which is a great example of animation as we already know it. It could be that because the art has faded, watercolour-like lines and colours, each frame took several attempts in order to keep them consistent, and tracing as in standard animation might not have been so feasible.

12.07.2013, 09:02 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Sadly, I did not get a chance to see Kaguya Hime this week as I expected. I went up to Kochi City for a couple days for a conference, but my schedule never lined up with the showtimes, plus I had a lot of Christmas shopping to do (going home to visit my family this year). Depending on how long it stays in theaters, I might be able to catch it early next year, or else I may have to wait for it come out on DVD.

12.11.2013, 05:46 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

as i[and some more] suspected before Kaguya-hime is not doing well enough to be a hit

One thing stumbled across my mind, for a classic tale is the artistic style well suited

I am asking that because i did not like Berserk animation very much but i found many think as it is based on old castle and fight stories the sometimes still background is needed to give a feel.

Can the same be considered for Kaguya-Hime too?

ofcourse quality of it is millions times better than berserk but i am talking about the sketchiness of animations and about still background drawings.

12.24.2013, 02:59 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

I'll stick with my earlier opinion, which is that even though the often still backgrounds feels weird in contrast to the liveliness of most Ghibli animation, it seems appropriate for this film. It's like there are paintings coming alive bit by bit, going on until near the end of the film where there's much more motion.

Post last edited by arren18 on 12.24.2013, 07:05 AM.

12.24.2013, 07:04 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

it seems that kaguya hime is a flop in japan.

It cost most that 40 million dollars. Until now it has only collected 22.6 mils.

And theatrical release time is almost over.

05.03.2014, 08:16 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
it seems that kaguya hime is a flop in japan.

It cost most that 40 million dollars. Until now it has only collected 22.6 mils.

And theatrical release time is almost over.

Sadly, art is often underestimated. The same can also be said for Takahata, who is always overshadowed by Miyazaki.

I've said this before, but I personally believe that while Miyazaki is the better director, Takahata is the better artisan.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.03.2014, 10:10 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Yeah, Takahata is just not as big a deal as Miyazaki. It's a shame, because his films have more variety among such a small number, whereas Miyazaki's tend to be along similar lines each time - I guess that consistent style is what makes his such reliable hits though.

05.04.2014, 11:58 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks