QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Official Kaguya-hime no Monogatari(The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter) New
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Official Kaguya-hime no Monogatari(The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter) New Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Still i think a better movie is a better movie. You cant just make a good movie bad. If anyone watches spirited away or grave of the fireflies he will surely understand the caliber of the directors.

I feel takahata's movie gets less money because of the subjects not the quality.

These subjects are too boring to be blockbuster anime. Specially when ghibli dont seem to attract mainstream anime viewers anyway.

Thats why there is always positive reviews about the films.

Frozen made a billion dollar but large part of it is just stupid.(i have not seen it fully). But parent take their children to theater for that. I hardly doubt if ghibli has that kind of appeal to any of the demographic population.

And ghibli even dont care about fans like us.
So it is making good profit thats a wonder.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

05.05.2014, 12:19 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I caught it at the end of its run a few months back. I had to drive almost three hours to get to a theater that was playing it. It wasn't a disappointment even though it was similar in style to Yamada's--my least favorite Ghibli film. The sketchy animation worked well--especially when there was a scene in which Kaguya Hime grew to a rage.

06.20.2014, 07:34 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Aaaand we got Daniel in da house

Personally I liked the Yamadas (Omohide Poro Poro is my least fav). If the animation is exceedingly similar, I doubt it's anything novel enough for Miyazaki to complain, though? I mean, I doubt that kind of art style requires such an overload of animators.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.20.2014, 08:42 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Anyone know of a release date for the UK for this?

06.21.2014, 05:45 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No idea. I think there were English-language trailers fairly recently, so that should mean that it'll appear at some point in the future. I can see it taking a little longer than a Miyazaki film though, since it's unlikely to be as popular.

06.21.2014, 09:40 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kaguya Hime US release!

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014..._return_to.html

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/08/18/th...kaguya-trailer/

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/20...princess-kaguya

This film has a potential to give a fresh blow in the western animation community, specially the artistic style will bring critics.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

08.19.2014, 08:52 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks for the info, saviour...

08.19.2014, 05:22 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Takahata is like the Claude Monet of anime. He is bold, brave and out there in a class of his own. His work isn't popular as of now but I am sure that over time it will hold a value of its own. A unique place.

From Wikipedia on the impressionists:

"Radicals in their time, early Impressionists violated the rules of academic painting. They constructed their pictures from freely brushed colours that took precedence over lines and contours, following the example of painters such as Eugène Delacroix and J. M. W. Turner. They also painted realistic scenes of modern life, and often painted outdoors. Previously, still lifes and portraits as well as landscapes were usually painted in a studio. The Impressionists found that they could capture the momentary and transient effects of sunlight by painting en plein air. They portrayed overall visual effects instead of details, and used short "broken" brush strokes of mixed and pure unmixed colour—not blended smoothly or shaded, as was customary—to achieve an effect of intense colour vibration."

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.19.2014, 05:33 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

@husky

you are welcome

@saddle

although i am not fond of artists[because they for some reason like to draw naked human], impressionist were someone who inspired ideas into other people[in my opinion], i dont know about art so i really cant tell if takahata inspired any ideas within me, in case of miyazaki his imagination level is out of league [considering that i hardly get surprised by a movie element except some ghiblies] i get his messages but i dont think he inspired me to think differently, the best i can do is just copy paste ideas from him[and i have seen quite a lot of that in many animations and video games]. But if its about thinking in a new way, i have never experienced that other than a book[fiction, non-fiction]. abstract painting is not my thing so i really cant tell if Takahata fall in the impressionist category.

08.20.2014, 04:40 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was only drawing a general comparison in that he is different and 'brave' in trying unusual techniques. Its the kind of animation you only usually see in small indie films. Mentioning the impressionists was me trying to see a parallel in people who were at first denied a mature criticism of their work, even ridiculed but whose material is today seen as fine art.

I'm not suggesting that Takahata's work is actually impressionistic.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.20.2014, 07:57 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

takahata interview on Kaguya Hime

What makes your movies so personal for you?

Isao Takahata: It is definitely a personal film for me. First, it is because I was able to declare through this film and its songs my basic, natural love for the Earth and the people, plants, and animals that live here. And second, I was able to take up the challenge of making an antithetical statement to the trend in animation films to pursue greater and greater reality in a virtual sense; that is, by stirring up people’s imagination and awakening their memories through pictures drawn on paper with lively, expressive lines and wash coloring while allowing them to be aware that these pictures are drawn on that flat surface.

Why do you think your movie resonates so strongly with audiences?

IT: Nothing would delight me more if this is true. The reason, no doubt, is because audiences can identify with the story and its characters. I also think that audiences felt a fresh appeal in the ease and freedom of the drawings, as if a breeze were blowing through the screen, which is different from fantasy films that confine people inside their works and lead the audience by the nose.

What was the biggest story challenge?

IT: My intent was to take up the challenge of reviving in our time The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter, written at the end of the 9th century, a story familiar to all Japanese from children to adults. The original has the appeal of containing aspects that are enigmatic or amusing which are contradictory. But the tale is impossible to comprehend and the feelings of The Princess Kaguya, the main character, are totally unfathomable. My aspiration was to recreate the story into one that is understandable and to turn it into a film that allows us to identify with The Princess Kaguya’s feelings without changing the surface plot line and episodes of the original story.

What was the biggest design challenge?

IT: I put my full trust into the wonderfully gifted talents of character design and directing animator Osamu Tanabe and art director Kazuo Oga. Even so, our effort to show on the screen what I intended -- that is, to search out the most fitting expression for the spiritual or psychological meaning in each scene -- required endless trial and error by the three of us. For each shot we considered how rough, how strong, and what colors to make the lines; how much to allow for blank, unfinished spaces; how much difference to make in the expression between parts where the movement is fast and intense and parts that are calm; and on and on. This meant we couldn’t use the “assembly-line” method that is normal for animation film production.

What was the biggest animation challenge?

IT: No matter how talented the two lead staff are and no matter how many pictures they drew, it was impossible for their drawings to be the only ones used throughout the entirety of this film with a running time of over two hours. It was essential to divide the labor in order to complete the enormous number of drawings needed for the film in a set amount of time. Despite the incredibly difficult task of copying the non-design style drawings of the two, the entire animation staff worked with dedication and total cooperation in their efforts to complete this film. In my mind, this was a near miracle.

What was your best day?

IT: That was the day when I felt that the staff, upon watching the daily rushes, realized how good the result was and I could sense that it boosted their feelings of anticipation to complete the film. They were able to strengthen their solidarity at that point. But the very best day would have to be the day of the initial screening of the completed film for the entire staff. It was when I saw the faces, faces, faces of satisfaction for what they had accomplished by joining together as one to work so hard.

What was your worst day?

IT: My character seems to be foolishly optimistic so that I immediately forget anything bad, so I don’t remember my worst day.

What was the hardest scene to get right?

IT: The hardest was the scene where The Princess Kaguya and Sutemaru fly through the sky. When I first thought of this scene, I was overly ambitious, wanting them to fly not only above the Earth, that is above Japan’s wonderfully varied landscape, but also within the landscape. At the design stage I went through a lot of trial and error to attempt to realize this, to no avail. But that was during the design stage. Since I am basically steeped in frugality, as with other scenes, once a scene was animated, I did not waste the staff’s work by choosing to throw out any scenes. There were no shots that I cut after they had been animated.

What's your favorite moment?

IT: I am fond of all of the scenes, so I can’t name just one. If I do, then I would feel sorry for the other scenes.

04.20.2015, 02:39 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
I also think that audiences felt a fresh appeal in the ease and freedom of the drawings, as if a breeze were blowing through the screen, which is different from fantasy films that confine people inside their works and lead the audience by the nose.

miyazaki's castle in the sky, princess mononoke and howl's moving castle seemed like it.[leading]

while spirited away, nausicaa seemed much smoother with a little action at the end

my question is it good or bad?

04.20.2015, 02:42 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kaguya did get an Oscar nomination, as did Spirited Away, Howl, and Kaze Tachinu.

So, the critics liked it.

04.20.2015, 07:04 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by FlareNetworkC
Kaguya did get an Oscar nomination, as did Spirited Away, Howl, and Kaze Tachinu.

my question was different. it is about the story telling style.

04.21.2015, 12:43 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
quote:

my question was different. it is about the story telling style.

While I haven't seen Kaguya myself, I can say that it appears to be a more relaxed storytelling style than, say Laputa, but not quite as day-to-day as Totoro.

04.21.2015, 10:27 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
While I haven't seen Kaguya myself, I can say that it appears to be a more relaxed storytelling style than, say Laputa, but not quite as day-to-day as Totoro.

hmm[cough].. actually i am not asking for a opinion for kaguya hime as the director himself said so, i want to know if that style is better , generally i want to know the opinions on different story telling style. sorry for missing context

04.21.2015, 11:38 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Actually, I think that the story-telling technique depends a lot on what KIND of tale it is. Some technique's lend themselves more favorably to the long, drawn out tale and and others to a more action-packed tale.

I know that I am not making myself very clear, but I am having difficulty illustrating my idea's with words. So far, I have liked the different styles used by the different directors in all the Ghibli movies with very, very few exceptions.

04.21.2015, 12:46 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

another takahata interview

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015...ahata-interview

05.02.2015, 02:08 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Gives a bit of understanding to Takahata's ideas and values that he attempts to instill in his films...

Thanks, saviour

05.02.2015, 10:13 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This gets released next week in the UK on Blu ray and DVD. I have the Collector's Edition coming, I can't wait for those Artcards !!

07.07.2015, 12:50 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks