QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - ocean waves
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » ocean waves » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Tanuki

Registration Date: 12.28.13
ocean wavesPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by carly28 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ok so just realised that I am missing a ghibli movie from my collection.

I thought from upon poppy hill was my missing one but completely forgot I.do not have ocean waves!!.

Can anyone tell me its number in collection and also if its good.

Obv I get it either way but from looking at cover not sure wat to expect.

01.12.2014, 06:19 PM carly28 is offline   Profile for carly28 Add carly28 to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I can't tell you what "number in the collection" it is since I have no idea what that means. Different "collections" I guess are made by different companies lisenced to release them in different countries. Ocean Waves has never been released in Britain, and it has no English dub. I bought a Japanese DVD that has an English subtitle track but even negotiating the all-kanji main menu was quite a challenge.

I do not think this movie is included in the official list of Ghibli releases but I think part of the team who produced it later went on to work at Studio Ghibli. It was a made for TV movie if I'm not mistaken and its production values are noticeably set lower due to a lower budget.

Anyhow, I love this film, its a very intense love triangle story between high school students and has a lot of angst and confusion in it, but is still a very uplifting and fulfilling story. It's set mostly down in Kochi near where Orphic is living and working these days.

Ocean Waves is one of my favourite Ghibli movies and because of its subject matter I prefer it over big blockbuster titles like Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. Highly recommended.

BTW have you seen Takahata's "Only Yesterday"? For me there's elements of Ocean Waves that remind me of Only Yesterday.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.12.2014, 08:46 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm pretty sure Ocean Waves is among the Ghibli DVDs released by Optimum. I don't have it so I'm not sure what number they put on it, but I remember it being released after the first set, so it'll maybe be around 15 or so. If you look up the Optimum website you might be able to find it.

01.12.2014, 10:55 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A very good movie, IMO... You'd enjoy it, I think...

01.13.2014, 01:11 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ocean Waves was a project for the younger staff of Studio Ghibli, a way to gain experience in the confines of a smaller work scale (a television film). It is an official Studio Ghibli film, but Ghibli would not try this sort of experiment again afterwards, so it is the only film of its kind in the Ghibli canon.

It is a nostalgia piece, a wistful portrayal of high school emotions. Personally, I don't feel it has the individuality, depth, or timelessness of the best films of Miyazaki or Takahata, but it is an enjoyable little film in its own right.

Post last edited by Theowne on 01.13.2014, 01:34 AM.

01.13.2014, 01:27 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
leonbloy
Warawara

Registration Date: 10.26.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by leonbloy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I love it. For me (and I'm concious that most Ghibli fans won't agree) this little TV movie is on par with Miyazaki and Takahata works (and infinitely superior to Arrietty, Poppy Hill, The cat returns, Earthesea...; contrarily to these, OW is a movie I enjoy to revisit often).
I love the subtle characters, non-obvious script - and the music. All very delicate and human, even if the animation has some rough edges, it all fits nicely.
Perhaps (in common with Only Yesterday) this is more apt to be enjoyed by not very young people, those who can look at their own adolescence from some distance? I'm not sure.

01.13.2014, 08:44 AM leonbloy is offline   Profile for leonbloy Add leonbloy to your buddy list Homepage of leonbloy
Theowne
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would agree that it is superior to the "B-tier" Ghibli films (Cat Returns, Arrietty, etc) primarily because those films try to echo the kind of filmmaking that has already done better by others, while Ocean Waves pursues something different and does it very well. I also agree with the parallel to Omohide Poroporo, in the sense that both try to target an adult nostalgia about childhood and adolescence respectively (though I think that film is the superior one).

It's quite possible that age is a factor here, for the previous reason. I myself saw it many years ago, when I was not too far off in age from the characters themselves, unlike Omohide Poroporo.

Post last edited by Theowne on 01.13.2014, 10:38 AM.

01.13.2014, 09:58 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am not a fan of romance type movies

but it is still a good film , very true

spoiler alert [press ctrl+a]

Spoiler!, highlight to read.

specifically because the boy did slap the girl. if i was that boy i would have definitely done that and might also go to tokyo. falling for that girl depends but i have a lot of similarities with that boy. And my friends are also different just like he had. and i also had a friend just like his friend in high school. Except there was no girl.LOL as i read in all boy school all the time until university.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 01.13.2014, 10:41 AM.

01.13.2014, 10:36 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
carly28
Tanuki

Registration Date: 12.28.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by carly28 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks guys this has been very helpful. Amazon here I come.

When u say b-tier what do you mean?

01.13.2014, 03:21 PM carly28 is offline   Profile for carly28 Add carly28 to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

tier means class

a-tier means top quality
b-tier means good quality

and so on

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

01.13.2014, 03:40 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by carly28
Thanks guys this has been very helpful. Amazon here I come.

When u say b-tier what do you mean?

I take that to mean the films not made by Ghibli's main two directors. None of the others have made enough films to reasonably count them alongside Miyazaki and Takahata. It doesn't mean they're bad though - Whisper of the Heart is extremely popular on here, so it doesn't follow the trend of non-Miyazaki/Tahakata films being of a lower quality.

01.14.2014, 05:23 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Theowne
Baron

I certainly would consider Whisper of the Heart alongside the "A-tier" and among the best works of the studio.

01.14.2014, 09:52 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
arren18
Administrator

Oh, me too of course! Really I meant that it contradicted my suggestion of tiers based on directors. But I would definitely consider it one of the best, which I suppose shows that you can't reliably categorise them in that way.

01.14.2014, 10:37 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Like I remember being taught in school... (yes, I can remember that far back) Now what was I talking about...? Oh, yeah,

"There is an exception to every rule" I think it was referring to the ['i' before 'e' except after 'c'] rule in English grammar.

01.14.2014, 02:00 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am yet to see this, I believe it was on Film 4 but I deleted it accidently from my planner .

Anyways, what does everyone mean A tier and B tier films ?

01.14.2014, 04:58 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Theowne
Baron

I didn't mean to start all this confusion by using the term B-tier . I just used it to refer to the Ghibli films which are, to me, a step lower than the classics or masterpieces of the studio in quality or importance (this is subjective, of course). As arren said, who directed it tends to be a good predictor (but not always, as in the case of Whisper).

Post last edited by Theowne on 01.14.2014, 11:48 PM.

01.14.2014, 07:24 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
arren18
Administrator

Then again, if Whisper's director was still alive today, perhaps we could consider it A-tier under any definition. After all, he was expected to become Ghibli's next big director.

01.15.2014, 08:02 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Theowne
Baron

No argument there. And not too surprising either, since Kondo was part of the same generation as the two big directors, and they worked alongside each other for a long time.

Post last edited by Theowne on 01.15.2014, 09:50 AM.

01.15.2014, 09:48 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't dwell on Kondo, I'm not able to. I find the what might have beens very saddening and certainly its tragic that he was't able to give more of himself.

What he did give though was amazing, and it'll always remain my favourite Ghibli, and anime.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.15.2014, 10:40 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's my favourite Ghibli film as well, it's so beautiful and it does sadden me and upset me knowing how much potential he had. Best not to dwindle upon it, we have moved on .

01.16.2014, 06:01 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks