QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Official When Marnie Was There News Thread
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Official When Marnie Was There News Thread » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
all the elements are there. just different recipe.

the more complex character, is because of the director's and writer's view or influence.[miyazaki and kondo]. If anyone other than them directed it with the exact same screenplay[not storyboard] and story i think Those two characters would have looked stereotypical.

Your first comments are why its not a typical school romance. They are schoolchildren and the story could have been very straightforward but the different recipe is what makes it special, so your understanding is fine on that account.

As regards your second point, yes, its the clever storytelling that makes the film special. Its a more subtle story that the manga writer created. The idea that if Ghibli had not made it, it wouldn't be special is a rather pointless direction to take the discussion in. They did make it and it is special, why try to pull it apart on a hypothetical supposition?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.08.2014, 02:44 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Then again, when was the last time the main character was a male for ghibli?

Jiro from The Wind Rises! He was cool. My favorite male ghibli hero will always be Sosuke, though. So cute!

Post last edited by FlareNetworkC on 07.10.2014, 10:04 PM.

07.08.2014, 08:01 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I wouldn't call Whisper's characters stereotypical either. Rather, because the story is not a very complicated one, the greatness of the film comes not from being wildly unique, but from being a well-told story.

07.08.2014, 09:34 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

TRAILER!!!!

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 07.21.2014, 10:39 AM.

07.21.2014, 10:37 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw recently that the trailer had been released, but didn't watch it until now. I'm pretty pleased with it. Visually it's very nice, and it looks interesting even if I can't really figure out what's happening.

edit: Okay, so I will be going to see it in a couple of hours! I'll let you know what I think, but please don't expect me to fully understand.

Post last edited by arren18 on 07.23.2014, 03:03 AM.

07.22.2014, 06:16 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Poor Opening for When Marnie Was There

it seems japanese now likes either moe type anime or blockbuster hollywood.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ja...ontinues-720550

http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/pokemon-def...apan-box-office

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

07.24.2014, 06:44 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Not such a big surprise, I think. Ghibli movies that aren't directed by Miyazaki are generally less popular, and also, this year has seen more Ghibli releases than normal. Kaguya-hime wasn't a big success either, and I think in both cases, the release schedule meant they were somewhat under the shadow of Kaze Tachinu. And besides, Disney and Pokemon are always popular, so it doesn't shock me that a film from one of Ghibli's minor directors didn't beat them in the opening week.

Anyway, I saw it and it was very good! The story is interesting and actually a little similar to Arrietty in certain ways, but I think that it's better overall. The characters interested me more, and the story was more affecting. For the record, they weren't the stereotypes discussed earlier, and the "jovial fat boy" character was a married woman. While there wasn't much depth to the characters outside of the main pair, that was better for the story as it is.

I recommend seeing it when you get the chance. I doubt it will see release in English-speaking countries for quite a while, but if you have some opportunity, check it out.

07.24.2014, 06:53 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

i guess you are right arren.

but i just hope ghibli does well business cause otherwise it wont be able to make good movie.

however another thing crossed my mind that is i probably read somewhere that suzuki said new ghibli after the two big directors will be different. so instead of making one big epic movie per year they will probably do several smaller ones.

as ghibli studio is run by monthly salaries [not contract] so i think more movie means more or less, more money in a way, or that is what suzuki thinks.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 07.25.2014, 01:23 AM.

07.25.2014, 01:19 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

I can see why they would do that. Until now, Ghibli has been able to succeed thanks to big names. Now that they can't rely on that, it makes sense that they would make more films to make up for the reduced profit. But perhaps in the future, the younger directors will become more established and they can return to the old model of fewer releases and higher quality.

07.25.2014, 02:03 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

From the trailer it looks wonderful. No spoilers please but to me it seems the blonde girl in the old house across the lake is a ghost.

Perhaps Ghibli do need to reassess where they are going. Their current financial crisis needs to be turned around and I think they should aim for more mainstream storytelling.

We don't need mechas and moe but if they want to attract audiences they need to produce films of this quality but that appeal to a wider audience. I think Miyazaki's and Takahata's shadows are long and their influence is strong but I hope Ghibli can break out from under their spell and make fresh movies that will make the studio money.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.25.2014, 11:20 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Considering the last one was Kaguya-hime, I'd call this quite a solid mainstream option. It's not overcomplicated, and it has typically nice visuals. I think it probably just came out at a bad time. Anyway, we'll see what they come up with next - maybe it'll be a director we've never even seen before.

Actually, as an aside, I think a Ghibli mecha film isn't so hard to imagine. Not a typical example, but considering Miyazaki's love of planes, the robot in Laputa, and his connection with Hideaki Anno, I could see something involving some kind of science-fiction story coming up in the future. That type of story would certainly be a way to expand beyond the usual tendency towards slice-of-life or fantasy.

Post last edited by arren18 on 07.25.2014, 08:54 PM.

07.25.2014, 08:50 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

I feel Nausicaa 2 might be that mecha.

I dont know when anno is going to start this or if studio ghibli or his studio khara is going to produce it.

definitely That big Anno name will be a big advertisement

i hope he just does not bust the budget.

I never ever want to see a box office bomb from Ghibli

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_office_bomb

and doing something exceptionally different with bad story might be bad too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fanta..._Spirits_Within

however i feel the newer ghibli movies lack one thing that is climax, if a movie does not have a strong climax then i feel like i have not seen anything. I think that is one of the reason why i like miyazaki movies more. even totoro had a climax

press ctrl+a
Spoiler!, highlight to read.

that mei was dead drowning in the pond or kidnapped or killed by accident bla bla bla

however i think saddle is more or less correct that ghibli need to reassess their goal.

I think rather than being just a japan oriented studio they can become a global studio. Although miyazaki said that ghibli will primarily release for japan i think as he is not here anymore this can change.

And i hope to see 3D from them too. I am not impressed with the 3D animations other than pixar. So i want them to experiment with it.

however i dont think ghibli is in a financial crisis. the wind rises did good business[ i mean not frozen level] but they secured about three times their production cost. kaguya hime lost about 20 millions+ which is kind of bad reputation for the director.

However i have not read the financial statement of studio ghibli because i cant read japanese, i dont know if it is even present in internet. Toho is distribution company and tokuma shoten is/ or was the main company who owns ghibli. however recently i have been quite confused about the fact who owns ghibli.

07.26.2014, 02:59 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

WHOA i just saw this one

In a recent podcast, former producer Toshio Suzuki said that the future of the company actually hinged on whether 'When Marnie Was There' was a success

Hiromasa Yonebayashi's latest film for Studio Ghibli, 'When Marnie Was There', has failed to do good business in its opening week in cinemas, according to Crunchyroll.

Ghibli's newest anime movie opened on 19 July, and is based on British author Joan G. Robinson's novel of the same name. It's a tale of loneliness and centres on a little girl, Anna, and a ghost she befriends.

The film opened on 461 screens and only took 379 million yen (just over £2 million). What's more, it had to settle for the third spot in the box office chart behind Disney's 'Maleficent' in second, and ' Pokémon the Movie: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction' in first.

In fact, Yonebayashi's prior anime feature, 'The Secret World of Arrietty' did significantly better upon its release a few years ago. 'Marnie' has failed to do even half as well as 'Arrietty' when it was released in 2010. At the time, that took 900 million yen in its opening weekend, shifting 680,000 tickets compared to around 285,000 this time.

The weird thing is, 'When Marnie Was There' looks like a genuinely lovely film. It's got all the ingredients that often spells success for the company, with its gorgeous animation and touching story. The fact that it's not directed by Hayao Miyazaki will likely play a part in why it wasn't as well received as his Oscar-nominated picture 'The Wind Rises'.

The poor performance of Ghibli's latest could be down to a number of reasons, but with recent rumours that the film production division is set to cease operating, this now appears to be something to be concerned over. In a recent podcast, former producer Toshio Suzuki said that the future of the company actually hinged on whether 'When Marnie Was There' was a success, so only time will tell what the founders intend too do production-wise.

main article: https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/marnie-disap...-010100947.html

07.26.2014, 03:30 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Kaguya-hime has lost the studio a lot of money.

Takahata does appear to have this knack of making very expensive and not so popular films. I seem to recall Pom Poko was expensive as was Yamadas, I also thought his tale of the canals was another project that soaked up far more money than it earned.

To be honest I seriously think he should retire and Goro and some other younger people should press on. As the recent rumours say there's a possible TV series in the making; that might be a way to go.

Anno Hideaki may be another option but he is more a personal friend of Miyazaki than anything else. With Hayao retired its unclear if he would still invest effort in Ghibli projects.

07.26.2014, 05:51 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I unexpectedly had the opportunity to see this yesterday. I'm afraid I did not enjoy the film quite as much as Arren did. It's not a bad movie, precisely, but I found it to be dishearteningly run-of-the-mill in terms of story and execution. It confirms my opinion of Yonebayashi as a director: he's a skilled craftsman, you can tell he's learned from the very best, but he does not have the sort of artistic sensibility that would elevate his work to the level of Miyazaki's or Takahata's.

On the surface Marnie is everything you'd expect from a Ghibli movie in terms of quality: beautiful backgrounds, seamless animation, naturalistic performances from the voice actors, no pandering or anything of that sort. I think it must be the details that are missing. Miyazaki, even in his most fantastic films, has this incredible knack for infusing every scene with details that are true to life and memorable. This movie largely lacks those moments; as a result it feels a little like the pretty husk of a Ghibli film with the heart missing. It glides along placidly, perhaps too placidly, never quite rousing itself enough to form an identity of its own beyond a vaguely Ghiblish (that one will be in the OED next year, mark my words) atmosphere. The story had the potential to be different: it's a bit of a mystery, for one, and there are some scenes which flirt with spookiness, and the protagonist is unusually deadpan and angsty for a Ghibli heroine. But the director plays it safe and never really capitalizes on these opportunities to set his film apart, instead presenting the story as a straightforward drama, of nearly after school special ordinariness; occasionally he hews a little too close to melodrama for my taste, though he never quite stoops to soap opera levels of sentiment. Nonetheless this is one of few Ghibli films which could not unfairly be described as "a tad sappy."

There are certain plot revelations toward the end I would love to discuss, but I think Arren's the only other member who's seen the film, right? So maybe we should just carry out that discussion via PM.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 08.24.2014, 12:24 PM.

08.24.2014, 12:22 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

When marnie was there latest box office

US$28,690,077

source:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/201...st-23-24/.78226

Even the new doraemon movie scored 44 millions.

09.14.2014, 04:44 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

"Even"

I don't think you appreciate just how popular Doraemon is.

09.14.2014, 08:20 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
"Even"

I don't think you appreciate just how popular Doraemon is.

No i know very well how popular doraemon is as i am also a fan of it.

If you have had read the article then you would have seen that Doraemon is a new release while marnie is quite old, it was a surprise to me that doraemon could surpass it in such a short time considering ghibli is popular too.

09.14.2014, 01:02 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Saviour, in these situations the grammatical use of the word "even" in front of a comparative statement gives a meaning to that statement that something happened despite long odds against its chances.

Hence Arren's comment.

Your comment about Doraemon (whatever that is, I have never heard of it) works more appropriately if you just remove that word "even".

09.14.2014, 03:09 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I haven't gotten to see this release yet (or The Wind Rises, although I've seen the Japanese trailer in theatres here and found a bootlegged copy in a Chinese rental store.. it's still not available in North America, or?? Because I REALLY want to see/own it).

My friend brought me back some post-its for Marnie though. They're in a suitcase style case and are pretty cute.

09.14.2014, 10:53 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks