QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Video Games
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Video Games » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, I will look some of those up.

As for GTA IV, I knew it had been made by a British team after about 5 or 10 minutes of playing it because of the humour. No Americans have humour like us. No-one else on the planet does, so I thought it was really noticeable.

I often pick up GTA IV and play it for a while even now, just to enjoy Niko Bellic's one-liners and some of the random comments from passers-by.

A different team did GTA V IIRC and the humour isn't anywhere near as good in that.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.12.2017, 12:30 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I'm not really up to date on those games. I sort of imagined that more recently they would probably have been developed by different teams.

And Professor Layton is a good choice! I have one of them and it's pretty fun. They have varied puzzles and an actual story surrounding it all.

10.12.2017, 09:58 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I bought my first Nendoroid figure the other day and he just arrived. 'Tis Link from the Legend of Zelda series, this version of him being from the latest installment, Breath of the Wild.

Only having a minor meltdown over cute he is.

I also finally got my hands on a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles, after a fashion (first one got lost in the post). I am beyond stoked to play, but I'll have to wait until I go home for Christmas since I don't have my Wii with me.

My Anime List

11.27.2017, 09:45 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Guys Ni No Kuni II is out. Although Studio Ghibli is not involved(as it was disbanded) Joe Hisaishi and another key person still retains the role. Good news its on PC too.

@Kaz did you enjoy Legend of Zelda Botw? Man i bought a new graphics card only to play this in cemu. What a game. Brought me back to gaming after a long time.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

03.26.2018, 06:42 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw the trailer for Ni no Kuni II as an advert on YouTube today. While it does look good, it does look a lot more... fight-y and much more generic JRPG than the first game was. I'm not especially tempted, but I might pick it up if it goes on sale. I'm sure the soundtrack at least will be great, Joe Hisaishi always delivers.

Saviour, I never actually got a chance to play BotW. I just really enjoyed the design of the Nendoroid. I also watched my flatmate play a lot though. It did look fun but I heard it was very thin on story, which is a little offputting to me. I liked the look and scale of the world and the details like the way weather and different environments would have effects on you.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 03.28.2018, 02:23 PM.

03.28.2018, 02:22 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@kaz oh okay. i thought you bought link figure because of botw. while its kinda true the story is kinda thin but it is good enough for 10-20 hours of gameplay. you might get ff xv if you want story. there is also nier automata which is fighty but good. i did not play nier i am saving it for the future. good story based games are on the fall. open world multiplayer is getting pushed more and more. also working all day makes it diifficult to play for long.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

03.29.2018, 03:29 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I watched a let's play of FFXV a while back, I enjoyed it a lot. The story was a bit of mess, though, it was full of holes. I've heard that the DLC patched a lot of those holes, but that's not how you should make a game. DLC should be extra material, not material needed for the main story to make sense. Still, it was a great game in spite of those flaws. It had a very, very beautiful world, good characters, the combat looked like a lot of fun. Assuming my computer can handle it, I might get it one day.

I'm currently watching my favourite streamer (Cryaotic, the same one that did FFXV) playing Nier Automata. I like it a lot so far. The world is interesting, I'm very intruiged by the story and characters. I feel like I'd be really bad at the combat, haha.

Oh, on an unrelated note, I got one of my flatmates hooked on Stardew Valley a while back and in a couple of weeks he progressed wayyy past where I've ever got to. :') Oh well, I'm happy he's enjoying it.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 04.01.2018, 12:01 PM.

04.01.2018, 11:59 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I keep hearing good things about Nier Automata. I got a PS4 pretty recently, so I wouldn't mind playing it some time. I'd like to play Persona 5 too, since I've never got the chance to play any of that series before.

04.01.2018, 08:08 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
thanossapiens
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.08.18
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by thanossapiens Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I keep hearing good things about Nier Automata. I got a PS4 pretty recently, so I wouldn't mind playing it some time. I'd like to play Persona 5 too, since I've never got the chance to play any of that series before.

It's pretty disappointing in my opinion. And it's kinda sad how it got most of it's exposure by the fanservice. Nier 1 has better story by far. The combat is bad though, but Automata's isn't something to write home about either.
Persona 5 is good, and you don't need to have played any of the previous games for the story, so get it as soon as possible. Even though I generally dislike turn based games, the persona games had me addicted, so that says something I guess.

04.02.2018, 06:33 AM thanossapiens is offline   Profile for thanossapiens Add thanossapiens to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by thanossapiens
quote:
Originally posted by arren18

It's pretty disappointing in my opinion. And it's kinda sad how it got most of it's exposure by the fanservice. Nier 1 has better story by far. The combat is bad though, but Automata's isn't something to write home about either.
Persona 5 is good, and you don't need to have played any of the previous games for the story, so get it as soon as possible. Even though I generally dislike turn based games, the persona games had me addicted, so that says something I guess.

I have not played nier automata myself mosly because of the fanservice/titillation of the content initially perceived by the people. the bad(fanmade) videos did not make it any better. But still from a lot of game reviewers till now said the game mechanics is exceptionally different also the story is very good. So i want to give it a try after i play through/get bored of the games i currently have on my pc.

@kaz what config do you have? only the cpu and gpu will suffice i had a 1050 ti which can handle high at 30 FPS 1080p in FFXV. on the other note i think the story was good enough and the fighting is awesome. The DLCs did not add much story. You can watch the cut-scenes in youtube.

@thanossapiens Persona 5 is too schooly for me does not really suit my taste and also dont have a PS4. @arren please do tell your nier experience if you play it

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 04.02.2018, 01:30 PM.

04.02.2018, 01:28 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
night_bird
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.03.18
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by night_bird Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Dead Space and Outlast 2. I like survival horrors

04.07.2018, 01:33 PM night_bird is offline   Profile for night_bird Add night_bird to your buddy list
thanossapiens
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.08.18
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by thanossapiens Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Currently obsessed with Bloodborne.
Literally the best action gameplay, ever.

04.07.2018, 05:41 PM thanossapiens is offline   Profile for thanossapiens Add thanossapiens to your buddy list
rompglide
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.07.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by rompglide Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
I bought my first Nendoroid figure the other day and he just arrived. 'Tis Link from the Legend of Zelda series, this version of him being from the latest installment, Breath of the Wild.

Only having a minor meltdown over cute he is.

I also finally got my hands on a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles, after a fashion (first one got lost in the post). I am beyond stoked to play, but I'll have to wait until I go home for Christmas since I don't have my Wii with me.

I like it, I want to put it on my desk.

05.23.2018, 05:00 AM rompglide is offline   Profile for rompglide Add rompglide to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I'm playing through Xenoblade Chronicles again. I love it. I love the world, the characters, the story, the music. There's just so much in it. I'm in a position now to appreciate as well what a brilliant job the translators and localisers did on it.

...Yes, I will sing this game's praises forever.

I started playing my first visual novel the other night. It's an otome sort of deal called The Men of Yoshiwara. Heh. But I'm playing it in Japanese and that means I get to call it ~educational~.

My Anime List

06.21.2019, 06:50 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I bought Divinity: Original Sin 2 a couple of weeks back and I've already sunk many, many hours into it. It's such a richly detailed world, so fun to explore, full of interesting characters and stories. And the combat is turn-based, which is good for me because real-time can stress me out a bit.

My Anime List

07.15.2020, 03:28 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Turn-based?

Would that mean the 'turn' of each subsequent player?

07.15.2020, 06:19 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Yes, pretty much. When you get into a combat situation, rather than it being a free-for-all, your characters (and their enemies) take actions one at a time. Having turns gives you time to carefully consider how to deal with the situation.

It would go something like...

Turn 1: Character A casts an armour spell and runs towards Enemy C.
Turn 2: Enemy C slashes at Character A.
Turn 3: Character B shoots a poison arrow at Enemy C.

And so on and so forth until one side wins. There's a limit to the amount of actions you can take in a single turn. You get a certain number of points to spend each time, with more powerful spells and such taking more points.

My Anime List

07.15.2020, 09:28 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

I tried it. Too open ended for my taste. You can basically do anything from start. If you take some time to learn the game mechanics might have been enjoyable. Unfortunately don't have any time.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 07.17.2020, 03:03 AM.

07.16.2020, 12:15 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I just picked up Ni no Kuni on Steam, since it was briefly on sale! Usually £40, I got it for around £10. I saw some gameplay of it a while back and it looked like good fun. This is the game Studio Ghibli was involved in creating.

Has anyone else played it?

My Anime List

09.05.2020, 07:45 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahaha, sorry, for my part, the last games I played were way back to PacMan, Zelda, Mario Bros, Asteroids and Centipede! lol

Post last edited by husky51 on 09.05.2020, 10:36 AM.

09.05.2020, 10:35 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks