QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Uchouten Kazoku discussion thread
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Uchouten Kazoku discussion thread » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  2  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I rewatched 6 and 7 together then went straight on to 8. I am enjoying this series more and more, its pacing is very different with lots of light and humorous world-building in the early episodes and now a good bit of introspection, character revealing and Main Story.

#2 son is indeed in his well out of guilt. He probably could transform back to a tanuki or another form but refuses to out of his feelings of responsibility.

At least I was slightly near the target with the 4 sons representing different aspects of emotion, but I missed that it was the father blood (genes) split 4 ways. Its a nice addition to the story and a nice explanation of things in a Tanuki fashion.

Speaking of Tanuki I am always now watching this consciously bearing in mind that thee aren't people even though 90% of the time theytake that form, but playful, 'idiot blood' animals and so I feel a lot of what has happened and is happening makes a lot more sense if you give these characters child-like intellects.

I loved episode 8, it was full of meaningful backstory and whether the father is dead or alive, I think he may have gone willingly to his fate. I certainly think he thought it was time for his sons to take over from him and perhaps he's thinking that all 4 should be a community leader as each holds a part of him that made him such a good leader.

I enjoyed the tram scene, very fun, reminded a lot of parts of Pom Poko.

I also enjoyed the father in tanuki form talking to Professor Akadama. This was obviously some kind of afterlife or symbolic conversation and was very sad.

What do people make of the scene that opened ep7 with Benten and Yasaburou on the bridge? When Benten was in the air looking down, we saw several rubbish sacks around Yasaburou. To me this is a metaphor for baggage or rubbish carried into relationships. That whole short scene was very curious and I think, highly significant.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 08.02.2014, 05:13 AM.

07.28.2014, 06:10 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I, too, prefaced watching ep.8 by re-watching eps. 6 & 7. It seems to help with the connectivity of the series. I think that I'll do this from now on.

I wondered at the image of Yasaburo on the bridge as well. There are a lot of leaves falling just prior to the aerial view and the bags resemble the tarps that are used by gardeners to gather lawn clippings, leaves, etc., for transport to a dump site and then reused. It was like he had collected the leaves and bagged them... For what reason, I don't know...

07.28.2014, 10:38 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well they obviously were not really there, because we saw Benten and Yasaburou seconds earlier without the bags, so their appearance had another meaning.

Orphic? Any clues?

I can only link it to the "relationships come with all kinds of baggage" discussion he and Benten are having at that point, but instead of baggage formed by emotions and previous experiences, these two are talking about the baggage that blood ties bring.

I think this was a highly significant scene and it may be linked to the blood ties of teh four brothers to each other and their father. Perhaps even to their father and them to the Ebisugawas.

In addition having Benten in that scene (her only appearance for 2 whole episodes) I also think is significant. Ties with her? Blood ties? How?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.28.2014, 12:11 PM.

07.28.2014, 12:10 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I had forgotten about the tram and so I re-watched ep. 8 again. While watching it in its entirety again, I noticed a very small bit of humor when Yasaburo was talking with the Professor.

See if you all can catch it. If not, I will tell about it is a couple of days...

07.28.2014, 05:06 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Has any one else besides Saddles and I seen ep 8 yet???

07.31.2014, 01:51 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I'm ready for episode 9.

08.02.2014, 05:13 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh boy, I've fallen behind again. Sorry guys! I've been too busy with moving out and then travelling that I haven't had a good chance. I'll try to catch up soon, but I've still travelling for now, so I don't know how quickly I can manage it.

08.02.2014, 07:48 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

You're excused, arren, with good reason, lol Pay more attention to enjoying the last of your trip/experience while you can. That is more important at this point. Concentrate on that...

I will watch ep. 9 today sometime...

08.03.2014, 03:03 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

OK, I've seen it twice tonight...
Ver-r-r-y interesting... This one is about Kaisei and she finally makes an appearance as a human. The more this story goes on, the more I am coming to believe in my theory about the winner of the Nise-emon contest. And very important information in this episode as well...

What do YOU think???

08.04.2014, 03:17 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I've not read your post Husky, I am waiting until some others watch up to 8 - Arren, Roar, Kaz, NC, Flare...

I think Fen said she wanted to watch this too when she was settled from her summer job.

08.04.2014, 01:21 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

I agree, Saddles...

One prob is that Flare is out of it for a week (on vacation) and arren is still working his way back home. It will be hard, but I will not view any more (except re-watching) episodes until we've heard from the rest...

08.04.2014, 05:09 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I caught up to ep9 just to see Kaisei. Because you know, it's Kaisei.

Also, I call into question everyone's age no thanks to Yajirou and Kaisei.

Well at least I'm partially true: Souichirou wasn't that far gone that night. I was actually kinda banking on him being able to hold his liquor. Also, there's still nothing on how he got caught, so eh.

That said, I'm seriously suspecting that Kaisei knows everything about the affair. Considering the family background, I think she would be more privy to... secrets.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.05.2014, 01:34 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry, sorry! Hectic week! I have seen ep 8 and I will watch ep 9 tonight, and comment on them both than.

Quite often I watch an episode and am a little stumped as to what to comment - it's very dialogue heavy with very little action, so there's very rarely a scene which stands out in my mind. Instead it's more like I'm left with a general impression after the episode ends, usually a positive one just kind of vague that's all.

08.05.2014, 03:12 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

No prob, NC... I feel the same way sometimes...

enjoy...

08.05.2014, 05:46 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Four words on episode 10.

Well that escalated quickly.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.12.2014, 02:29 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

my four words on ep 10...

You might say that!

08.12.2014, 05:30 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

It's also good to know that I wasn't wrong in my last two assumptions. See, I knew that Souichirou wouldn't get dead drunk. And Kaisei did know about how the former got caught, although I hadn't expected her to literally be at the scene, and in that manner.

Also, considering the time span, I think it's safe to say that Kaisei is older than she looks. Probably around the same age as Yasaburou.

I'm kinda intrigued that Kaisei was seen at Yajirou's well at the start of the show. I'm kinda doubting that Kaisei actually has feelings for any of the brothers though. I think she's more like Yajirou where she's holding feelings of guilt, but instead of wallowing in self-pity, decides to actively help the Shimogamo family as atonement.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.12.2014, 10:36 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I've seen 9 and right from her first mention I agree Kaisei will be important. I think it's significant that the father named her. Also keeping her out of the story until now is a device to enhance her importance.

It seems there is some kind of balance between Benten and Kaisei, both of whom Yasburou has connections to. That's significant too.

I'm holding back on 10 until more have seen it.

08.13.2014, 04:01 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

OK, I've seen ep 11 and I'll tell you all right out that ist is hard as heck to not go ahead and see the rest of the story... I'll not say anything about it but will sit by until this next weekend to see ep 12.

When others come in to discuss the story, I will review what I have seen and join in.

08.17.2014, 06:09 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

I know what you mean. It's not that nothing happened in this episode but rather too much happening that it's much better to watch the next episode before anything can be said.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.18.2014, 05:04 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
[  «    ...  2  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks