QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Uchouten Kazoku discussion thread
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Uchouten Kazoku discussion thread » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Agreed my friend...

08.18.2014, 05:20 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry to be ahead, but watching ep12 made me realize that the last three episodes ought to be watched together so I just went ahead and finished the whole thing

I just have this to say: being carefree and idyllic is the tone set for the entire story, and sadly/strangely it even continues all the way to the end. I mean, I like a slow pace once in a while, but c'mon, it's the climax for cryin' out loud.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.24.2014, 09:24 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry I suck so bad at keeping up. For aforementioned health reasons I've had to make hasty arrangements to leave Japan and return home, and travel preparations have been keeping me busy. I have now seen up to Ep 10.

The past three episodes have seen a fairly marked improvement in quality, I think. Ep 9 suffers a little in comparison to the excellent episodes that bookend it, but placed in the context of all preceding episodes it is still pretty strong. Ep 8 features some of the best character development so far, probably because it focuses on Yasuburo, who is, I think, easily the most interesting brother (as well as being voiced by the most gifted actor). Prior this point the show had not really affected me at all on an emotional level, but I was touched a few times here.

Ep 10 obviously escalates the plot in a big way. I do wonder if the groundwork for these plot developments could have been laid earlier. Like, when you have to begin episodes past the halfway point with expository monologues about the nature of the ongoing family feud central to your plot, it's probably a sign that you didn't use the early episodes as efficiently as you could have. And why two new characters now all of a sudden? Vaguest possible spoilers: I was barely aware of the "mastermind" character's existence until the big reveal in which s/he was revealed to be the mastermind behind the dad's death. This made the revelation a lot less effective, I think.

How old is the ex-fiance supposed to be? She sounds like a six year old. When I first heard her voice, I thought she was voiced by the same actress who plays the youngest brother, who I assume is supposed to be sixish. I do not want to think of anyone with a voice like that as being anyone's ex-fiance. I don't know why all male characters in anime have to sound 10 years older than they are supposed to be (the brothers, minus the youngest, sound like thirtysomethings) while all the female characters have to sound 10 years younger. But anyway, she's intriguing. I wish they'd introduced her a little earlier.

Despite my usual nitpicky complaints, I am excited to see what happens next. We'll see if the show can maintain its upward swing.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 08.24.2014, 10:08 AM.

08.24.2014, 10:06 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Considering how their appearances are wholly dependant on their whims I wouldn't put too much thought on their ages based on appearances, actually, considering how mom looks like a college girl. I too thought that Kaisei was a lot younger than Yasaburou but considering that he himself was still rather young when Souichirou died (according to narration) and he was already bethrothed to Kaisei then, I'm more inclined to think that their ages aren't that far apart.

That, and the fact that their lifespan is less than a decade anyway so mathematically... yeah.

Don't you love how majestically science destroys dreams and imagination?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.24.2014, 11:43 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

OK, I have seen ep 12 and the action has picked up quite a bit. At one point, Benton seems to express some humor towards Yasaburo. It is going to be hard to wait until next Sat to see the final episode.

@ Orphic:
I hope things are going well for you, such as they are... Good Luck, my friend.

08.24.2014, 05:12 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

So anyone done with the show?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

09.01.2014, 11:12 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Yes... A bit disappointed with the ending, but after all, they are idiot Tanuki's, yes...?

09.01.2014, 11:58 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I finished it tonight and the ending was something of a let-down. I have to say I was disappointed. I felt sure that the director could have come up with something better than "this is how tanukis behave and will always behave".

No resolution to who will become Nise-mon, I really wanted some relationship progress between Yasaburo and Taisei or even with Benten but... zilch. In the end Prof Akadama gets Benten to be some sort of geisha for him, cleaning his ears out and cuddling his head in her lap. That was... more detail than I needed.

The animation was very nice, the characters were fun and intriguing but so much was left unanswered and so much potential not fulfilled.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.11.2014, 05:50 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I finished it tonight and the ending was something of a let-down. I have to say I was disappointed. I felt sure that the director could have come up with something better than "this is how tanukis behave and will always behave".

No resolution to who will become Nise-mon, I really wanted some relationship progress between Yasaburo and Taisei or even with Benten but... zilch. In the end Prof Akadama gets Benten to be some sort of geisha for him, cleaning his ears out and cuddling his head in her lap. That was... more detail than I needed.

The animation was very nice, the characters were fun and intriguing but so much was left unanswered and so much potential not fulfilled.

Therein lay my disappointment.... A big build up to ----meh!

09.11.2014, 07:16 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Well the novel has gotta be popular for it to get an anime so maybe the original was more detailed. Or maybe, as referenced in OreImo, maybe just a filler anime. Too detailed though.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

09.11.2014, 08:36 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

We need another anime to watch...

09.12.2014, 01:04 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
We need Another anime to watch...

Done.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

09.12.2014, 03:14 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oooohhh.... Another is very interesting. If you've seen Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni and liked it, then watch Another. They are very similar.

09.12.2014, 06:43 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I caught the first ep of Dantalian no Shoka the other day. Looks like it might be interesting. An English Edwardian setting for a change.

Shinsekai Yori may be worth considering.

And of course Mushishi.

Another is a possible as well.

Other than that I have no suggestions right now.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.12.2014, 12:02 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

I think the idea of this thread is for us to view something that sounds interesting, but had not been seen by any or most of us following along. Seems kind of unfair to discuss something when you've seen it before and the rest haven't...

Does that make sense?

The only one I've seen suggested so far that I've seen before was Mushishi... And knowing what comes next or how it ends would reflect in my comments, I'm sure...

09.12.2014, 01:23 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I haven't seen any of those. I meant Mushishi 2nd season, having watched part of the first.

09.12.2014, 03:04 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Actually, has anyone seen Fate/Stay Night or Umineko No Naku Koro Ni? Those would be my suggestions, I've been meaning to watch them?

09.20.2014, 10:33 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

I've seen both.

Umineko starts out promising but as many other reviewers have mentioned, the logic holes and discontinuity of the story makes the story confusing really fast. Supposedly a lot of crucial info in the game got lost during the animation, unlike the Higurashi series which was very well done.

Fate series... well I can't judge. It's a pretty standard fanfare. Personally, Fate/Zero is the better series.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

09.21.2014, 08:10 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Since I have seen relatively few of these anime, pretty much anything would be fine with me... Any decisions been made yet???

Since it would be hard to find an anime that hasn't been seen by at least one member, maybe we should just go with one of the ones mentioned already. The ones who have seen it before might get a different outlook on the story with it being taken one ep at a time and commented on...

10.02.2014, 01:10 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

We could watch a really, really terrible anime.

School Days, anyone?

10.02.2014, 06:32 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
[  «    ...  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks