QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Uchouten Kazoku discussion thread
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Uchouten Kazoku discussion thread » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...    »  ]
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I enjoyed the animation even more this episode, the 'fight scene' between Kinkau/Ginkau and Yaichirou made for fun viewing. I enjoy how colourful everything is.

I didn't feel like a ton of plot progression happened (maybe I'm just way too used to animes like Shingeki no Kyojin where there are twists and deaths galore) but it didn't feel boring or anything. The scene where they were crying over their father was super, super sweet.

06.15.2014, 08:25 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm not so surprised that Raijin didn't show up in person. All the characters we have are regular earthly beings (even if they are shapeshifters) so I wouldn't necessarily expect any gods to appear. But then I guess we don't know enough about this world yet, so who knows what might happen.

The story is moving along fairly slowly, much as I thought it would. I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with it, and what the inevitable twist(s) will be.

06.17.2014, 12:26 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I liked how this episode set in place some fresh story elements avoiding Benten and the old master; the twin cats have a sister who is helpful which I thought was a nice element, no doubt we'll see more of her later.

I enjoyed the fight scene as well. I learned from Pom Poko that the male Tanuki can do this weird powerful thing with their balls so seeing them get bitten there was both amusing and presumably meaningful.

Art style - yes, loving it more and more; the backgrounds that is.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.17.2014, 04:37 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Cats? I thought they were all tanuki?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.17.2014, 08:59 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I enjoyed the fight scene as well. I learned from Pom Poko that the male Tanuki can do this weird powerful thing with their balls so seeing them get bitten there was both amusing and presumably meaningful.

I didn't even think of that at the time! You're completely right, and I don't know why it didn't occur to me. That makes it even funnier in hindsight.

I'm pretty sure they are all tanuki, but they did take the form of giant cats.

06.17.2014, 09:10 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Finally, my busy schedule of the past few days will allow me the time to relax and watch the next episode this evening without the hazard of falling asleep while watching it...

yaynes....zzzzzzzz

just kidding at the last part, lol

06.18.2014, 02:17 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Shall we move on to watching episode 3 over the weekend?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.19.2014, 03:57 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Sounds fine to me. I'm quite happy with the current schedule, since we all seem to be watching it at different times of week. Adding more episodes per week would be overdoing it.

06.19.2014, 04:28 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

that was only ginkau and kinkau that were the cats, the snotty brothers, but they are all tanuki in this ep even Raijin, I believe since she is their (the cats) sister or did I miss something...... I was fooled at first thinking that it was Benten with the Professor...

As was stated, this ep went along slowly, but smoothly... looking forward to next week's ep.

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.19.2014, 05:31 AM.

06.19.2014, 05:29 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Yes, the giant cat 'dolls' were just forms the nasty brothers assumed. A pretty weird form to take, a statue that can't alter its shape, only shuffle along. Presumably there's a reason in Japanese folklore to make the cat form significant. Roar? Arren? Orphic? Anyone else studying Japanese culture? Have you come across a meaning that might fit?

The fight was between cat forms as well, lion and tiger IIRC.

06.19.2014, 05:39 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

It's the kind of cats people put in their houses for good luck. I don't really know what the significance was in this context.

And husky - Raijin is god of thunder. They were worried about the thunderstorm, though I did miss why that was such a big deal for the mother.

06.19.2014, 05:50 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Thanks, arren, I re-watched it and saw where I missed the name of the sister Ebisugawa, Kaisel... I must have missed it and saw Raijin and thought that was the sisters name...

I also misspelled the brothers names, Ginkaku and Kinkaku

hahaha, close, but no cigar...

06.19.2014, 11:47 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I thought the mother was just plain scared of thunder. Like Haruhi in OHSHC. Or like some dogs.

And yes, perfectly happy to watch episode 3 this weekend. This pace is perfectly fine, I feel.

My Anime List

06.19.2014, 04:52 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I got volunteer work again this weekend on the Vietnam Vets Memorial down in San Diego. Every third Saturday my friend and I go down and join the rest of the guys. Mostly just maintenance now and I don't know how much longer I can do it. Can't do much work, so the guys just have me tell visitors about it if they show up.

I'll have to wait until at least Sunday or Monday before I can relax and watch it...

06.19.2014, 06:19 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

According to wikipedia there's no concrete background for the maneki-neko, only they were quite a modern invention (late 1800's). My guess is that its use was entirely random.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.20.2014, 08:54 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Okay, I've now seen episodes 2 and 3. I thought the third episode was the strongest by far, although I'm still not entirely sold on the series as a whole. I think the frog-brother is now my favorite character. His voice actor is the least hammy.

Have any of you seen Tatami Galaxy? I think it could be interesting to compare the two series, since they are both based on novels (somewhat unusual for an anime in the first place), moreover novels by the same author.

But Tatami Galaxy was directed by Masaaki Yuasa, probably the most creative mind currently working in Japanese animation right now. Uchouten Kazoku on the other hand was directed by Yoshihara Masayuki, who does not possess the same kind of idiosyncratic genius; he's directed a few episodes of GITS:SAC, a couple of Eden of the East, and some animated specials for children (according to his My Anime List page). Not saying he's bad; I think he's certainly competent. But if you compare this and Tatami Galaxy side by side, the gap between "competent" and "brilliant" starts to seem pretty wide.

One thing I've noticed about Uchouten Kazoku is the dialogue: there's lots of it, and the script has flair, it's not just perfunctory exchanges of information to get to the next plot point. I'm guessing a lot of the dialogue was lifted directly from the novel, since Tatami Galaxy is similarly wordy. But I don't feel like Yoshihara really knows what to DO with it. The animation is great overall, but so many scenes are just talking heads (sometimes cat heads). Whereas Masaaki Yuasa always seems in total control of the script and knows exactly how to make the rapid-fire dialogue work.

So I kind of feel like the most effective scenes so far are the ones without much talking (Benten swimming with the whale, for example), or the ones with voice-over narration, where the camera is free to do what it wants. The submerged clock tower and the flying inner parlor were nice visual touches; I want more stuff like that.

I hope the story finds its crux soon, because the plot seems a little aimless at the moment.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 06.20.2014, 08:02 PM.

06.20.2014, 08:01 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

deleted

Post last edited by Saddletank on 06.22.2014, 07:33 AM.

06.21.2014, 02:23 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

But...that's what I was trying to do, critique the show based on what I just watched. Since I didn't really like what I watched, I tried to explain why. That involved bringing up the director because I think he does a boring job. What am I supposed to do if I don't like the voice acting or the way the show is directed? Just say, "It sucks," and leave it at that? I could certainly limit myself to gut reactions and leave out all rationalization, but does this club really need a guy just occasionally grumbling "bah humbug"?

Posting general reactions as the plot develops is fine, and I get the sense it's the dominant form of criticism in a lot of fandoms. But if that's all we're going to do here, ignoring everything else that goes into a work of art, you know, like acting and directing...sounds kind of boring to me.

06.21.2014, 05:57 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
But...that's what I was trying to do, critique the show based on what I just watched. Since I didn't really like what I watched, I tried to explain why. That involved bringing up the director because I think he does a boring job. What am I supposed to do if I don't like the voice acting or the way the show is directed? Just say, "It sucks," and leave it at that? I could certainly limit myself to gut reactions and leave out all rationalization, but does this club really need a guy just occasionally grumbling "bah humbug"?

Posting general reactions as the plot develops is fine, and I get the sense it's the dominant form of criticism in a lot of fandoms. But if that's all we're going to do here, ignoring everything else that goes into a work of art, you know, like acting and directing...sounds kind of boring to me.

I have to agree with Orphic, I'm afraid Saddles, I think it's good to approach any kind of media with intelligent criticism (I mean, I'm biased since that is kind of what my degree is all about). It's impossible not to make comparisons, since we only know whether something is good/bad in comparison with what else we've seen.

There's a theory in English Lit by Roland Barthes known as the 'Death of the Author' which argues that the text should be judged essentially in a bubble and distanced from its creator. I've always thought this was dumb as heck, personally. Things like the author's intentions, the historical backdrop etc. - these things are all significant and play a part in fully understanding a novel. Similarly anime has to be viewed in its own context.

I find it quite interesting that Tatami Galaxy is by the same author, since I personally actually didn't warm to that as much. I prefer the colourful, clean art-style of this opposed to the sort of experimental, unnerving art of TG. I mean I can see how TG is a lot more original, but that doesn't mean I warmed to it in the same way.

I also think things like 'I don't enjoy the voice actress for blah-blah-blah' is exactly the kind of stuff we'd be commenting on? If we're concentrating purely on the plot than we're ignoring all the other key elements which make up the anime.

I really enjoyed the parlour/sunken clock tower scenes - Benten's ambiguity as the 'bad guy' lends a necessary complexity to an otherwise wandering plot. I'm enjoying the plot but I have to keep restraining myself from watching several more episodes at a time because I'm keen to get to the meat of it.

Post last edited by Nausicaa_Cat on 06.21.2014, 06:43 PM.

06.21.2014, 06:42 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Just to elaborate a little on my original point: when an anime is adapted from a manga, the visual style is often lifted directly from the source material. Character designs usually aren't changed a lot, and you'll even see the anime reproducing scenes from the comic panel by panel. I think a lot of animation studios rely heavily on the original manga as a visual guide.

But a novel-to-anime adaptation is different, and in some ways a lot harder, I would imagine, which is probably why they're so rare. (Does anyone know of any other novel adaptations, besides Ghibli films?) You're much freer to experiment visually because there's no template laid out for you, but that means you have to start from scratch with character designs and everything.

Books are also made up of words. On average I'd say the average book has a lot more talking than the average manga; if it's in first person, the narrator is essentially talking the whole time, for hundreds of pages. So that poses a unique challenge: how do you animate a long conversation without it becoming visually boring?

Personally, I don't think the director of Uchouten Kazoku knows how to deal with this very well, but that could be because I'm looking for a more creative solution like Masaaki Yuasa's in TG. (I appreciate your perspective on this issue, Nausicaa_Cat, by the way!) I really like some of the visuals in this show. The colors are beautiful, the backgrounds are detailed and realistic, and the character designs aren't bad. But while the characters are talking, and they talk a lot, I feel like the "camera" (for lack of a better term) just sits there, and it's not very involving.

That's all I was trying to say, really, when I compared this to Tatami Galaxy. Although as the story unfolds it might also be interesting to see if they share any themes.

06.21.2014, 07:59 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks