QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Uchouten Kazoku discussion thread
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Uchouten Kazoku discussion thread » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Uchouten Kazoku discussion threadPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No need for spoiler tags here; I expect every post to be full of it anyway.

Honestly I'm quite impressed with the episode. I had thought it was going to be full of slapstick comedy but the humour was well reined in with decent amount of serious drama to boot.

Also hadn't expected it to be similar to Pom Poko

Benten is highly interesting. My initial impression was that of a fox until she flew, which I then thought she was a young tengu. Human though, was unexpected. But her behaviour change is what I'm really interested in. I can give my suspicions on why it happens but maybe I'll hear from the others first.

Overall, quite enjoyable.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.07.2014, 11:20 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I . . . enjoyed it. Wasn't crazy about it. I think I'll have to see where the story goes before I can really formulate an opinion. I like that exposition is minimal so far; you pretty much have to work out how all the characters are related to each other on your own. I also thought the production values - animation and music and so forth - were really good. The story hasn't hooked me yet, but it's intriguing.

This might seem like a groundless criticism but: I don't like the voice acting very much. This is a problem I encounter with A LOT of anime, so maybe it's just me. It might be because I hear ordinary Japanese people conversing on a daily basis, and they do not sound like anime characters; I don't recall being this sensitive to Japanese voice acting before I lived here. Anyway, almost all of the voice actors in this first episode are trying too hard, in my opinion. They sound like character types instead of believable people.

Also, it would be nice if Japan could produce a single goddamn piece of media that did not sexualize school girls. Jesus Christ.

06.08.2014, 01:21 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I liked it overall. I didn't get a strong impression for where the story was going but that may be because I wasn't paying too much attention to the subtleties (and there were a few). Just taking it in. It was a fun watch, I liked the art direction and the storytelling. The characters... well, I liked the interactions the main character had but some of were a bit superficial.

Benten, though. Totally agree. She's really interesting. Also really hard to like. Sooo unrelatable thus far. I want to know more about her. Also, more on the main character's teacher? mentor? whatever that old man is.

And idk, the whole sexualized school girl thing? I'm so immune to it now. Doesn't even bother me.

06.09.2014, 01:28 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haven't seen it yet, but if the mentor eas an old man, he must be a good guy... I mean, look at me!!!

Where do I find this anime? I've never been real good at this part...

06.09.2014, 02:01 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Where do I find this anime? I've never been real good at this part...

Through highly suspicious means, meaning the back alley, under the table, or through saddletank.

@Orphic: TV will never be similar to real life. You sure won't find anyone speaking in the same manner as Disney cartoons any more than a Japanese speaking like an anime character (outside of Akiba at least).

About Benten though, I think it may have to do with her being human. Unlike the tengu or the raccoons, humans need to actually earn a living. I thought she might have been a miko before considering her beginnings, but we'll see. The ending credits do give a brief insight into her past though.

Also, she obviously cares a lot for her master, but probably feels too guilty about the accident.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

06.09.2014, 05:57 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
@Orphic: TV will never be similar to real life. You sure won't find anyone speaking in the same manner as Disney cartoons any more than a Japanese speaking like an anime character (outside of Akiba at least).

TV can be plenty realistic. Have you ever seen the Wire? Heck, even Game of Thrones is realistic enough for me. I'm not looking for realism, I just want characters who seem like real people. Miyazaki's films don't suffer from this problem, Takahata's certainly don't. Because they are good directors who know how to get natural-sounding performances out of voice actors. This is partly why Ghibli films are loved all over the world, while anime as a whole is swiftly becoming a tiny niche market. Which isn't to say there are no good examples of voice acting in anime outside of Ghibli: Utena and Anthy (not to mention Mikage, Juri, Kozue, etc.) from Revolution Girl Utena, Kino and Hermes from Kino's Journey, Reki from Haibane Renmei, Ginko from Mushi-shi. All of these actors create actual characters from the ground up instead of trying to do a "voice."

Now compare those performances to, say, the little brother who appears for a minute at the beginning of the episode. The actor is clearly a grown woman (who I'm guessing has played a bunch of moe characters) trying to sound as cute as humanly possible. It's not believable; no little boy talks like that. Trust me, I teach hundreds of them. It took me out of the experience.

Anyway sorry for rambling about such a nitpicky thing.

quote:
And idk, the whole sexualized school girl thing? I'm so immune to it now. Doesn't even bother me.

I find it kind of sad that in order to be an anime fan, you pretty much have to be desensitized to sexy schoolgirls, since they're so ubiquitous. Although it's not like the US doesn't produce tons of shows about sexy teenagers, so maybe I'm just being hypocritical. But I don't like how normalized the whole fetish has become in Japanese culture. In this first episode, the narrator's attitude is just like, "Of course old men are into schoolgirls. Who isn't?" Whereas in Western media, I think the idea of an old guy with a schoolgirl fetish would at least be portrayed as creepy.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 06.09.2014, 07:44 AM.

06.09.2014, 07:39 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree with a lot of the general opinions on the episode! I liked it and enjoyed the art style/characters, but it didn't leave me with a strong impression. I had to really think to remember what happened in the episode and I only watched it a few days ago.

Benten is by far the most interesting character thus far.

06.09.2014, 11:10 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree, NC... Benten is indeed interesting, but I don't know at this point what her game is. I got from the dialogue that the girl is a boy and the Tanuki part is shown in the arrow scene, just as he is preparing to shoot.

I have all of the eps. available to me now (and I didn't even have to go to that sneaky Saddles, lol) but I will only watch one a week.

I think that I am waiting for it to develop more.

The artwork was ok and not a lot different than many of the anime that I have seen. I can't comment on the dialogue very much as I have to use the subs. I will watch this ep. 1 some more to try and get more out of it... I know with subs you tend to miss a lot of the action and scenery, but I prefer to listen in Japanese and read the subs.

edit: typos

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.09.2014, 01:07 PM.

06.09.2014, 01:04 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I really enjoyed it! To echo what everyone else has said: Benten. Interesting.

I also very much like the main character, whose name escapes me. He reminds me of Kida from Durarara!!. A little bit of a brat, but a good-hearted one.

I'm good with the art style, although I noticed some things are drawn a bit oddly at times. Specifically, ears and hair.

Didn't like the OP all that much, preferred the ED.

Looking forward to the next one!

My Anime List

06.09.2014, 10:32 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So far pretty enjoyable. I don't know what's going on, but it's intriguing, and I'm looking forward to learning more about the characters and their world. The art style was fun and stood out, and there wasn't anything I really disliked.

Also, one aspect that I guess is lost on others but is really fun for me, is knowing all the locations in it. It was weird and amusing when it opened with Kyoto Station, after I was there just a few hours ago.

Post last edited by arren18 on 06.10.2014, 12:59 PM.

06.10.2014, 12:59 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Also, one aspect that I guess is lost on others but is really fun for me, is knowing all the locations in it. It was weird and amusing when it opened with Kyoto Station, after I was there just a few hours ago.

Did you see a school girl with an old man?

The protagonist's name is Sanrou, while his older and younger brothers are Ichirou and Shirou respectively. Their parents probably have no naming sense, haha, naming all their sons in numbering style. In that naming sense there's probably a second son called Jirou we haven't seen.

The tengu's name is Akadama, just for the record.

I relooked at the credits again, Benten and the Tengu have known each other ever since she was in high school. There was also a scene where she was shown to have an unsatisfied look on her face, but where the Tengu was also seen to still be healthy.

Just a guess, but I'm guessing that she suddenly felt tied down or something. For a high school girl learning to fly, it must have felt like an incredible amount of freedom back then.

That, or she has an old man complex

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

06.10.2014, 10:56 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

uh, old man complex...?

No comment...lol

06.11.2014, 04:50 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
quote:
Originally posted by arren18

Did you see a school girl with an old man?

Not this time, but then again, Kyoto station and Gion are pretty far away from each other.

06.11.2014, 07:58 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I enjoyed it a lot, the art style especially was suffiiently different to leave me with a strong impresion that this is going to be different. I particularly like the blocky-all-outlined shaded parts of trees and buildings, reminds me of those paint-by-numbers books I had as a child.

Whereas in Pom-Poko I think Takahata had the Tanuki only able to take one form, this is a different take on the myth and to be honest I thought the schoolgirl form jokes were very good. I wasn't offended and it was genuinely funny. A bit like Shaft and Monogatari they took a meme and laughed at it rather than made the original joke just creepy. I got the impression they were making fun of people who sexualise young women, rather than actually sexualising young women.

And Benten, yes, a very interesting person. Nice character styling too. As I was watching the first few minutes I felt that this was going to be a bit hard to grasp and follow due to the lack of exposition and I think it worked well to throw the viewer in at the deep end; its a device to hold the viewers interest.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.12.2014, 11:53 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

I agree with Saddles on the schoolgirl joke front. For better or for worse, it is a well-worn trope in anime and manga (and in plenty of other media for that matter), and as it's so ubiquitous, nowadays you're pretty likely to see examples that poke fun at that trope, rather than playing it straight. I think of this as definitely one of the former, and I found it fairly amusing.

Anyway, do we watch episode 2 by next weekend?

06.13.2014, 03:15 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm ready for episode 2, yes.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.13.2014, 12:16 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

By next weekend you mean this one? Either way I'm good to move on, yup~.

My Anime List

06.13.2014, 01:47 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

As regards the squeaky voices, I think this is just something the Japanese are into as of right now. Its come about in the last 5 to 10 years or so and most probably will fade and be replaced by another fashion at some point. The whole 'cute/moe' thing could be a passing trend. It's carried on by voice actresses into live shows such as here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPIvB3wz1_g

I can see how it might irritate a listener and I can see how at odds it would be vs 'serious' anime such as Studio Ghibli's works but its obvious that its a marketable feature right now among Japanese audiences and perhaps not just young ones.

06.13.2014, 02:41 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

... ... ... ... ...

I'm sorry, that video just feels disgusting to me as an orchestra lover... urp...

Anyway, it's Saturday here in the east, so I decided to go ahead and watch the next episode (if you haven't skip this post). Also, blame my inability to read japanese names in the credit, but the names of the tanuki are actually Yaichirou, Yajirou (unsurprisingly), Yasaburou and Yashirou.

I'm still reading up on how the character for three is read as 'sabu'.

I can vaguely guess the end of the story from this episode, judging from the history of their father and that brief hinting with Benten. As one can probably infer, Benten is probably the one who caught and cooked up their dad, or so they were told. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if their father was actually somewhere else and Benten conveniently decided to take the role as the bad guy.

I believe Benten has a pretty large role in the series judging from the credits itself. I don't see why they would dedicate the entire credits just to her if the story didn't involve her in a major manner.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

06.14.2014, 12:41 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I feel so sorry for Yajirou. That's not a fun life, being stuck at the bottom of a well as a frog. :c I'd guess he figures out how to transform himself again, though, since we see his human form in the opening.

Damn, I hate those cats. :') Kinkaku and Ginkaku... When the tiger showed up I thought it would be Raijin, but in the end we didn't see him. Just Yaichirou. I like him. You can tell he's trying hard.

I'm curious about who or what these "Friday Fellows" are.

And yeah, it's implied that Benten was the one who killed their dad... but... if that's the case and they know that, why would Yasaburo have ever gone anywhere near her like he did in the last episode? That doesn't make sense to me.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 06.15.2014, 04:59 AM.

06.15.2014, 04:56 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
[  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks