QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Uchouten Kazoku discussion thread
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Anime in General Uchouten Kazoku discussion thread Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm actually a big fan of the notion of Death of the Author, because it arose in reaction to other obnoxious tendencies that assumed everything could be explained by something the author said or did, at the expense of taking the work for what it is. That still happens, and it always gets on my nerves when somebody digs up something about the creator and reckons that provides the answers to all questions about the work - there are also people who make awful assumptions about authors who happen to create awful characters.

Nevertheless, I don't think Orphic is being unreasonable here. There are aspects he isn't enjoying, and for him something that stands out is that the people working on Uchouten Kazoku didn't do as good a job as those working on something similar. That isn't an unfair comparison. On the other hand, Saddles, you seem needlessly bothered by Orphic posting his thoughts on whether the show is any good or not. Not everyone can like it, and there's nothing wrong with explaining why one does or doesn't.

06.21.2014, 09:38 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I apologise sincerely for my post of yesterday. I have removed it. I must learn never to post on internet forums after having a few drinks. I am sorry for wasting everyone's time and of course you are quite right Orphic.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 06.22.2014, 07:38 AM.

06.22.2014, 07:34 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I totally agree with you, NC... I want so badly to skip ahead and see more of the series with out waiting, but that would kind of defeat the purpose or reason for this thread then, wouldn't it... Patience, husky, patience.

The first thing I noticed in the pool playing scenes in both ep 2 and 3, is the name on the table, 'Branswick', rather than Brunswick. It isn't much, but it distracted me from my reading and listening. I would rather that the table had remained nameless. Petty, maybe, but there it is.

Again, I enjoyed the art work in the different scenes and also the dialogue between older brother, the frog. And the timidness of the young one was cute. I am wary of Benten but curious as to her motives. I almost think there is more to what she is doing with the Friday club that filling a hot pot with a tanuki.

I wonder as to the animosity of Kaisei towards the idea of marriage to Yasaburou...

Another thing that I noted in the reality aspect is the bottles Yasaburou is drinking from in the first scene. And the rattling of the bottle, lol. My neighbors gave me a six-pack of these Japanese drinks that do not require an opener and are tricky to drink out of. Too much tilt and the fluid is cut off by a loose glass ball in the neck of the bottle...

Well, those are my thoughts for now, I will probably re-watch the ep and may post further comments later or maybe not.

06.23.2014, 01:28 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat I really enjoyed the parlour/sunken clock tower scenes - Benten's ambiguity as the 'bad guy' lends a necessary complexity to an otherwise wandering plot. I'm enjoying the plot but I have to keep restraining myself from watching several more episodes at a time because I'm keen to get to the meat of it.

Well the show is, by and large, seem to be a slice-of-life genre, so I doubt there's much "meat" in the plot. Heck, if you come into this kind of show expecting more than that, then yeah you'll be disappointed.

Yasaburou's engagement to Kaisei was a bit of a curve ball though. I always did suspect that he had a thing for Benten, so him having a fiancee, even if annulled, makes me want to see it as related to the story. I'd even go so far as to say that the reason Kaisei won't show her face to him is because she actually likes Yasaburou, but won't see him because of shame (blame tradition).

-----

Regarding novel-to-anime instances, unless you include light novel series, I agree that that aren't many precedences, though there are a few noticeable ones, like GoTF and TokiKake. Made into series, however, I can't recall any.

Personally I don't have an issue of "too much dialogue", which I usually just push it as a case of bad directing instead. Also, I don't feel that this show has too much dialogue either, whether good or bad.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.23.2014, 05:24 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There were some pretty enjoyable scenes in the third episode. Overall I find the story a bit hard to follow, because a lot is left deliberately mysterious, and because it doesn't get very far very quickly. So far I still like it, but like NC I feel it could use a bit more excitement. It's kinda just plodding along, and while it does have the slice-of-life aspect, the hints of a more complex story makes me want that side of things to be emphasised a little more.

06.24.2014, 12:46 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I actually liked that. It's like in real life, you know, seldom do you recall entire flashbacks in conversations because everyone already knows what happens. It's just bits and pieces, and to the casual listener, you'll have to be hear bits and pieces of it over a long time to have a vague idea of what actually happened.

Sadly I went to the wiki page so I've been spoiled (lol at this phrase) but nonetheless, it's interesting.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

06.24.2014, 10:43 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't think this is slice of life; there's a definite plot here and there's going to be a significant conclusion linked to the family's social standing in the Tanuki community and the old man's ability to fly again.

I watched all 3 episodes back to back just now and the story comes to life much more when seen as one 60 minute episode instead of 3 20 minute ones a few days apart.

My predictions:

1) The above reagrding the main story
2) Benten is a 'good guy'. She's also not human as she claims but I think has Tengu blood. She and Yasaburou will get together by the end. She's giving the old professor Tengu Akadama some harsh love right now but it seems to me that she'll be at least a partial source of him regaining his ability to fly.
3) If the story has a bad guy then Sōun Ebisugawa is him. Too early to say where the Ebisugawa/Shimogamo clash will end but I am sure it will, and in the Shimogamo favour.

Adored the artwork and ideas in this 3rd episode, especially the flying inner parlour and sunken clock tower and the means to reach it - via some magical passage into a different world. Why was Benten in that magic world?

Her lending the flying parlour to Yasaburou and her threat to cook and eat him if he failed to return it were pretty obvious signs she likes him.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 06.28.2014, 12:54 PM.

06.28.2014, 12:44 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Well they do share a teacher, though I doubt it goes beyond that, for Benten. Also, I thought we're at week four now?

I'm at the point now where I strongly believe that Akazuma doesn't just like Benten, he hopelessly dotes on her. He's like the kind of over-obsessive parent who are every child's nightmare. If that's the reason for Benten's rebellion, well, I can't say I blame her, even though the accident still plays a part.

I can't infer anything else in this episode though. Akazuma is probably just too drunk to be himself, Benten is just being Benten (lol), and the battle between the two clans are really just childish at best. But then they're tanuki so, heh.

It's too bad we aren't treated to Benten's reactions at her double loss though. I'd bet that would be hilarious

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

06.29.2014, 04:58 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Are we ready for 4 now? I'm forgetting where we should be at.

06.30.2014, 04:47 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I think so. Roar already has it seems.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 06.30.2014, 07:30 AM.

06.30.2014, 07:30 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes, this last weekend was number 4...

I'm going to have to re-watch it. I think I'll try what Saddles suggested and watch all four eps back to back...

06.30.2014, 01:07 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

You people make me feel so lonely

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.01.2014, 11:35 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

As you're the most easterly person in the group, it stands to reason you'll watch the eps first

I enjoyed the comedy in ep4 but it was almost all slapstick action. I am glad I've seen PomPoko and got *some* idea about Japanese folklore as it applies to Tanukis because without that I'd be very lost with this stuff. I am sure this is going to confuse many western viewers who haven't had at least some folklore input beforehand.

Also Benten and the fan. I knew she liked Yasaburou

07.01.2014, 11:59 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

I just finished watching all four eps one after another, and I seem to have a better understanding of the story than before.

I will say this, I am starting to dislike the prof. very much, whose drinking comes before anyone or anything else, re; the parlor...

Benten does seem to have a sort of liking for Yasaburo, but it may be for a malevolent reason not shown yet, I haven't figured it out as yet. Or maybe she just gets off on pitting him against others to see what the outcome may be.

The Ebisugawa males are worthless bits of trash IMO, but that may be the reason they are here.

Yaichiro seems to be mostly self-centered and wanting the Nisei- ? election to go his way.

Yajiro (frog) seems to be the most stable of the bunch...

edit...

I just had a thought, but I will keep it to myself for the time being... a possible reason for Benten's actions...

Now I have to wait until this weekend to see the next episode.

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.03.2014, 06:25 PM.

07.03.2014, 06:22 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

I think Yaichirou is just in it as a sense of duty as the eldest son to continue is his father's legacy. He seems to have a serious father complex in that sense, otherwise an overly strong sense of responsibility. He really doesn't seem like a tanuki in that manner, which is kind of an weird.

Yeah I like Yajirou a lot too. For a frog in a well, he sure knows his stuff.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.03.2014, 11:59 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Another fun episode. Maybe I should try out watching them again back-to-back too, because I don't feel like I'm gleaning much from it. Benten remains her mysterious self, and the other characters do what they've been doing all along too.

I like the creativity in this show. The leisure cruisers were fun, and I enjoyed the use of fireworks as weapons. The story is still a bit slow and unclear for my liking, but I do like that aspect a lot.

07.04.2014, 02:01 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Shall we push on to ep5?

07.04.2014, 02:04 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

OK, I waited until Saturday to see ep. 5...

Not much seems to be happening in this one, but it made me hungry and the Friday Fellows were eating Sukiyaki, one of my favorite Japanese dishes... It seems that the whole ep was pretty much consumed (pun) with the meal and conversation... Not sure how to take it. I'll have to watch it again and pay more attention to the convo...

07.05.2014, 03:00 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

I'll watch 5, probably either later today or some time tomorrow. Is husky the only one to have watched it so far?

07.05.2014, 08:16 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Alright, I'm caught up. I don't have much to say about Ep. 4 (I find the rivalry between the tanuki clans to be pretty tedious for some reason), but I enjoyed Ep. 5 quite a bit. Even though not a lot happened, the show seemed to be playing to its strengths more. Good dialogue, lots of Benten, and a decent amount of backstory made for an intriguing episode. I miss the frog brother. I don't miss the eldest brother, who is annoying. The youngest brother is becoming more tolerable to me.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder what the target audience for this show is supposed to be?

As far as anime based on novels, I think Welcome to the NHK is also a novel adaptation. Then there's Aoi Bungaku, which is based on several classic Japanese short stories. Finally, a number of old World Masterpiece Theater productions, like Anne of Green Gables, A Dog of Flanders, and Heidi, Girl of the Alps. I haven't actually seen any of these, but apparently they are out there.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 07.05.2014, 08:18 PM.

07.05.2014, 08:17 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks