QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Can anyone help with Ghibli DVD imports to the UK?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Can anyone help with Ghibli DVD imports to the UK? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.13.05
  Can anyone help with Ghibli DVD imports to the UK?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Albert Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am looking for somewhere in the UK - preferably London - that might stock imports of Studio Ghibli DVD box sets. I am looking for one as a gift for a friend but he - very sensibly! - wants the original Japanese version of the movies with English subtitles, rather than the Disney dubs. He already has some of the better know movies - Totoro, Kiki, Laputa, Poroc Rosso - so I'm looking for a box set with as many movies on as possible. Any suggestiosn of where i could get hold of something like this in the UK would be very much appreciated. Sorry if I am repeating a question that has already appeared as a thread!

Thanks!

09.14.2005, 12:04 AM Albert is offline   Profile for Albert Add Albert to your buddy list
howl_chan_wa_kawaii
Tanuki

Registration Date: 08.09.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by howl_chan_wa_kawaii Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think Jiji is the expert on LEGAL box sets because there are a lot of crooks with fake, not to mention poor quality ones that look real on the outside.

I thought all the Disney DVDs came with the option to select Japanese language with english subtitles, or am I mistaken?

Jiji? Where are you kuronekochan?

sekai no yakusoku.
- Promise of the World

-- Why did Chihiro have to let go of Haku's hand? Why Chihiro do you make me cry buckets of tears?... sob--

Please report pirated Ghibli/Disney products: tips@disneyantipiracy.com or the confidential Antipiracy voice mail hotline, 818-560-3300.
Please protect Mr. Miyazaki's works.

My Howl's MC viewing addiction - final theatre count: 11 showings

Post last edited by howl_chan_wa_kawaii on 09.14.2005, 12:34 AM.

09.14.2005, 12:24 AM howl_chan_wa_kawaii is offline   Profile for howl_chan_wa_kawaii Add howl_chan_wa_kawaii to your buddy list Send an Email to howl_chan_wa_kawaii
Albert
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Albert Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank you for the response....
Yes - the Disney ones do seem to come with subtitles but I think I am looking for more films than just the ones that Disney have bought. Unless I am mistaken and they now own the whole Ghibli cataclogue... if so it would be helpful to know, if anyone can confirm or deny that?

09.14.2005, 12:12 PM Albert is offline   Profile for Albert Add Albert to your buddy list
brenster
Kodama

Registration Date: 09.14.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by brenster Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Albert
I am looking for somewhere in the UK - preferably London - that might stock imports of Studio Ghibli DVD box sets. I am looking for one as a gift for a friend but he - very sensibly! - wants the original Japanese version of the movies with English subtitles, rather than the Disney dubs. He already has some of the better know movies - Totoro, Kiki, Laputa, Poroc Rosso - so I'm looking for a box set with as many movies on as possible. Any suggestiosn of where i could get hold of something like this in the UK would be very much appreciated. Sorry if I am repeating a question that has already appeared as a thread!

Thanks!

Albert,

If your friend is capable of playing region 3 DVDs, there is an 11 film boxset out in Hong Kong. It was only released in limited quantities last year but there are some retailers that still have it.

This is an official release (the many 13/13+ film boxsets on eBay are fakes).

The DVDs themselves are repackaged versions of the existing Hong Kong 2 discs edition of each film. (Film on 1 disc with Japanese & Cantonese audio with Cantonese, Mandarin & English subtiles). The extras on the second disc of each film are predominantly the storyboards for each film without subtitles.

The box also includes a certificate & a set of promotional postcards, one for each film.

The films themselves are:

Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
My Neighbour Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso
Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
The Cat Returns

Not included are Grave/Tomestone of the Fireflies, My Neighbours the Yamadas & any of the other Ghibli DVDs (Arigato Lasiter San etc).

I'm not sure what the policiy is regarding posting links to retailers, so drop me an email if you'd like to know more about the set (I can supply photos etc if needed) or where it can be bought online.

Brendon

09.14.2005, 01:35 PM brenster is offline   Profile for brenster Add brenster to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

[Sorry that I haven't been active in the recent weeks (^_^;; ). Far too occupied with school work and misc stuff ]

Ghibli DVDs are always great gifts for your friends, and a box-set including all Ghibli movies sounds fantastic. A pity that there is no legit box-set collection of the Ghibli movies available except the limited R3 HK set mentioned by Brendon. I am not going to go deep into it as Brenster has kindly posted a very detailed account of it.

For your information, most of the authentic Ghibli DVDs you can get, be they from Hong Kong, UK, US or Japan, come with the original Japanese soundtracks and English subtitles.

As seen from your friend's present collection (Laputa, Totoro, Kiki, Porco), it seems that the Miyazaki-directed Ghibli films, especially the ones concerning personal developments, suit his taste more. Here are all the Miyazaki titles that you can consider:

Lupin III Castle of Cagliostro *
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind *
Princess Mononoke *
Spirited Away *

You can find the UK R2 releases of the titles with asterisks. Personally I would recommend Spirited Away, which is a character-driven story that shares a few common themes with Kiki. Nausicaa is also a good choice as it is going to be released in UK on 26th of this month.

If your friend is an avid Miyazaki fan, chances are that he may have already seen all the Miyazaki titles. In that case, you may consider other works of Studio Ghibli:

Grave of the Fireflies
Only Yesterday
Ocean Waves
Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart
My Neighbour the Yamadas
The Cat Returns *

There are loads of masterpieces in this list, but I think it is a good idea to get Whisper of the Heart or The Cats Returns first. Miyazaki was responsible for the screenplay, storyboards and production of the former. The "Miyazakian" style of atmosphere and feeling would most likely appeal to your friend. As for the latter, it is a bit like Spirited Away, but is more light-hearted with funny jokes around. Notice that the US R1 version of The Cat Returns come only with dubtitles, instead of literal subtitles. I am not sure of the condition of the UK R2 (which will also be available on 26th, together with Nausicaa), but most likely it shares the same subtitles with the US R1. If your friend is a sort-of purist, the Japanese version would be a better choice (not to mention that it includes the 25-min film of "Ghiblies 2," which is highly enjoyable)

If you are interested in getting the non-local titles (US R1 / Japanese R2 / Hong Kong R3 / etc), you have to consider the possible problems of region-code and video standards (NTSC/PAL). Try to find some way to check your friend's video equipment (DVD and TV) before making the final decision. It would be a really great disappointment if your friend received your gift joyfully but ended up not being able to play them properly.

The internet is a handy tool for importing the non-local titles:
R1 US: http://www.amazon.com
R2 JP: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp
R3 HK: http://www.yesasia.com

Hope these helps!

Last but not the least, welcome to the forums and hope that you will enjoy your stay here!

Other related forum topics that you may be interested in:
http://www.onlineghibli.com/tavern/threa...6&boardid=4
http://www.onlineghibli.com/tavern/threa...2&boardid=4

P.S to Bendon: I think it is okay to post retailer links and photos, as long as that is only for sharing info to benefit your fellow Ghibli friends, instead of benefiting yourself financially.

And just some random rant: I can find the R3 limited sets easily in the large video shops in my city; and they have been rotting on the shelves for years with no one being interested in them...

09.14.2005, 02:02 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
brenster
Kodama

Registration Date: 09.14.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by brenster Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Jiji
P.S to Bendon: I think it is okay to post retailer links and photos, as long as that is only for sharing info to benefit your fellow Ghibli friends, instead of benefiting yourself financially.

And just some random rant: I can find the R3 limited sets easily in the large video shops in my city; and they have been rotting on the shelves for years with no one being interested in them...

Jiji,

Tell me about it! I'd ordered the R3 set from two different retailers to be absolutely sure of getting one at the time of release. Needless to say that I did, and I sold one on eBay (at a loss).

The fact that the set is still readily available is in no way disheartening, but it is a little suprising given that it was limited to 2000 units. Either people had bought the films individually and saw no need to buy the box, or Ghibli/IVL seriously overestimated the demand.

Still, in my very humble opinion, the box contains all of the essential Ghibli films bar Fireflies and would be ideal for anyone who only has a couple of the Disney released films.

I'm in the UK here and have no link to either of the retailers I was going to suggest (one of which was YesAsia, the other being DDDHouse in Hong Kong).

I'd also like to echo your suggestion of further Ghibli viewing for Albert's friend in that I consider Whisper of the Heart to be a wonderfully sweet film!

Brendon

09.14.2005, 02:29 PM brenster is offline   Profile for brenster Add brenster to your buddy list
Albert
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Albert Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Many many thanks to all of you - especially Jiji and Brendon.

I have now purchased the gift set from Yes Asia - it looks fantastic! I am sure that my friend will be very happy with his present and thanks to you he will have a great birthday!

Thank you so much for all your help!

Albert

09.15.2005, 06:16 PM Albert is offline   Profile for Albert Add Albert to your buddy list
howl_chan_wa_kawaii
Tanuki

Registration Date: 08.09.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by howl_chan_wa_kawaii Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank YOU Albert, for taking the time to purchase an authentic item. I hope your friend enjoys it.

sekai no yakusoku.
- Promise of the World

-- Why did Chihiro have to let go of Haku's hand? Why Chihiro do you make me cry buckets of tears?... sob--

Please report pirated Ghibli/Disney products: tips@disneyantipiracy.com or the confidential Antipiracy voice mail hotline, 818-560-3300.
Please protect Mr. Miyazaki's works.

My Howl's MC viewing addiction - final theatre count: 11 showings

09.16.2005, 12:40 AM howl_chan_wa_kawaii is offline   Profile for howl_chan_wa_kawaii Add howl_chan_wa_kawaii to your buddy list Send an Email to howl_chan_wa_kawaii
pasky
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by pasky Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I guess I have to thank you as well - http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp.../section-anime/ seems to be perfect, exactly what I've been looking for, even with the Grave of the Fireflies included! (Well, I'd exchange The Cat Returns to Yamadas at any time without a single moment of hesitation, but I guess that's a matter of taste.) Now I'll only have to wait to the next month until some more money arrive on my account, and hope that it's still in stock by then...

09.17.2005, 05:28 PM pasky is offline   Profile for pasky Add pasky to your buddy list Send an Email to pasky Homepage of pasky
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks