QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - RPG Discussion - OOC
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » RPG Discussion - OOC » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am of the opinion that we love spirits a bit too much. Must be from drinking spirits at the bar. But glad to see we're all spirited for the game. I'll be watching Spirited Away now.

(At this point the word "spirit" is starting to sound incredibly weird to me.)

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.14.2014, 12:47 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I know what you mean, Roar. If only there were a suitable synonym.

My Anime List

08.14.2014, 12:48 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't know how I feel about the doppelganger situation because I feel like the kind of comedy or whatever that would naturally result from that would be sort of 'comical mix-ups' and 'mistaken identity' stuff and I always find that kind of irritating and slapstick. Those kinds of misunderstandings in a plot just tend to frustrate me.

As I said previously though, I'd be happy as anything to strip out a lot of the darker stuff.

Also, I guess as you said Roar, you don't need to have everybody be doppelgangers. Those who particularly would like to play such a role could still go ahead and do so. I just wouldn't want to

08.19.2014, 08:36 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm not sold on the doppleganger idea because it seems like a great deal of hard work. Playing one character before and remembering how they interweaved with evryone else was a job enough, but playing two who lookj the same would be intense. More work than I think warrants it, given the kinds of comical things the situation would produce, as NC says.

Also making comedy happen is hard, unless you're a genius of spontenaiety.

Any fresh ideas?

How about something based on a story and rural setting like Letter to Momo, only without the death of a family member. I am thinking in terms that some players play humans and some play mischievous but protective spirits/demons/oni.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 08.19.2014, 09:15 AM.

08.19.2014, 09:14 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank Also making comedy happen is hard, unless you're a genius of spontenaiety.

Well actually I was thinking that everyone in the town had a doppelganger in the next town, also because of the differences it'd be quite easy to tell them apart. That said, I can see how it's tough to control and keep track of two characters at once. Still, I'm keeping this idea at the back of my mind. Sounds too outrageous to just forget, y'know?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.19.2014, 12:48 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm keeping the original idea in my mind because I think it would make a great RP. I'm a bit surprised that you didn't like it. I just didn't see anything dark in it at all.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.19.2014, 03:28 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I'm keeping the original idea in my mind because I think it would make a great RP. I'm a bit surprised that you didn't like it. I just didn't see anything dark in it at all.

I still really like the original idea also.

I can, however, see that it definitely has darker elements. Having a major disaster happen in the town is surely, obviously, quite dark? Not that I personally think it is any bad thing to have some light and shade in a plot, and I would quite enjoy the disaster element, but I can certainly see Roar's viewpoint.

The whole Letter to Momo thing was sort of in the back of my mind when we were brainstorming previously. That kind of upbeat, slice-of-life esque vibe with some fantasy elements thrown in.

In terms of other ideas, I've recently been reading a shoujo manga where a female character in it acts as a 'helper' around town. She does odd errands for people in the community and gets to know different people in this way. The idea of a small helper or detective agency, in a seaside/rural community feels kind of nice. In the manga she's 'collecting memories' because every now and than she suffers a fresh bout of amnesia, so she has each person she helps write her a 'receipt' of her assistance on a piece of origami which she then folds.

I just thought that kind of thing was sweet and full of warm, fluffy opportunities but also a level of emotional turbulence.

08.19.2014, 04:22 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Oooh now that's a fun idea. The player-characters as a team of helpers (maybe with spirit guides) who are a 'fix-it' squad for all kinds of problems (personal, community, mundane, serious, light, dark, whatever) across a community feels really cool.

That plot allows all kinds of directions with different sub-plots, the funny, the awesome, the tragic, the comical...

Man, oh, man, we should set up a company that provides storyboards for anime companies -so many good ideas around here.

08.19.2014, 04:54 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

How do others feel about the idea of a fix-it/helper squad?

As Saddles said, I feel like it would leave room for a lot of different side-plots and also a larger degree of character autonomy since different characters could be trying so solve/fix different issues at the same time without necessarily impacting on each other. It makes me think of the slice-of-life anime/manga (like Sket Dance) which have self-contained stories each chapter.

I mean there could still be an overarching plot, but it might make for more relaxed playing

08.22.2014, 11:18 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

More relaxed playing is a good thing, as is SoL, since if people are busy their characters can drop out for a scene or two and pop back on stage later.

08.22.2014, 01:15 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Any more thoughts on this? It does look like we're not going to engage the interest of everyone with a single idea. This would mean just some forum members playing but some not wanting too. I don't really have a response for that situation.

08.31.2014, 07:07 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

How did we start the original anyway? Does anyone remember?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.31.2014, 11:48 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't know as I was'nt a member then, but seems to me that one person should be picked to give an opening scenario and story. Such as...

"Here I am, alone and homeless, with only 300 yen in my pocket and my name, Hamazaki Sanjiro ..."

This is just a quick sample, but something like that only fleshed out a bit more, but not too complicated. Just to get the ball rolling, so to speak.

Or something happening to someone (or just happening) in the past leading up to the present storyline...

We also need to be reminded or shown how, as the case may be, to hide our signatures when se are posting in the RPG, just like in the past RPG...

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.31.2014, 03:56 PM.

08.31.2014, 03:51 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I'm more in favour of a planned story than one that has no plan and grows organically.

08.31.2014, 05:24 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was taking a nap in my cool room and as I was waking up, I thought of this idea.

A section of a Japanese neighborhood is wrecked ands torn down because of an earthquake. This is in the past, not too long, but the past. Now to the present with modern day residents who have moved in and are experiencing and/or noticing odd things or happenings... voila, there are your 'spirit' beings slowly being noticed by today's residents... They are confused about the 'new' structures, neighborhood settings, etc.

Just throwing out ideas... take, use or discard and wanted... all or part or similar...

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.31.2014, 06:39 PM.

08.31.2014, 06:37 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

I like that. But rather than being confused, why not have them be already used to it?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

09.01.2014, 11:18 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Because this gives the premise of the spirits needing help in some manner that the new residents, mostly young ppl, can give them...

I believe that something along these lines was already mentioned earlier in the discussions...

09.01.2014, 11:45 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like the Fix-it squad idea, as it seems that it would flow more naturally. I really want the whole mystery element to be more of a side plot than the central theme, as we already tried that with Isakaya, but the Fix-it squad sounds interesting.can someone do a post to update what we have so far?

09.06.2014, 08:46 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, since I haven't thrown any ideas yet, I better put out Something.

I think we should view the spirits more in a positive light this time around, because, once again, we tried something different with Isakaya. This game should really be an experiment to see what else we can do.

How about the central theme be the town itself and the various people in it, as I think this RP should be more about the characters than the story, because, once again, we focused more on the story at Isakaya.

I think that the town should currently be in disagreement over some project, like a construction site or something, and the spirit rises out of the sea to protect the town and bring peace to the issues. Of course, that shouldn't be the whole story, but I think it makes for an interesting premise.

(Inspiration from Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni)

09.07.2014, 06:45 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Come on, please. SOMEONE. SAY. SOMETHING. ANYONE. EVEN. SAVIOUR.

09.07.2014, 06:22 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
[  «    ...  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks