QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - RPG Discussion - OOC
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » RPG Discussion - OOC » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...    »  ]
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
The sort of thing that's most appealing to me right now is something like a mix of Spirited Away and Uchouten Kazoku. I like the fantasy element quite strong, personally. I like things to be less science fiction and more supernatural.

I feel the same way! I'm particularly fond of the idea of Japanese spirits, like the soot-sprites or kodama. Sort of a Mushishi situation maybe, where spirits make up a part of the human world and have an effect on it but most people can't see them?

If you wanted to make it heavily derived from Spirited Away, there could be a 'boundary' where people can pass into a spirit area - an abandoned shrine or something. The only problem I can see with this is it could easily result in the game becoming heavily supernatural rather than just a little.

Yeah, I wouldn't want the supernatural elements to be commonplace or common knowledge, wouldn't want them to lose their mystery and, ah... 'shock value', for lack of a better term.

Maybe in trying to work out our world here, it would be helpful to know what sort of characters people are thinking of playing? Will we be mainly students and teachers again, with a school focus, or something different?

My Anime List

07.24.2014, 10:43 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Maybe in trying to work out our world here, it would be helpful to know what sort of characters people are thinking of playing? Will we be mainly students and teachers again, with a school focus, or something different?

The character I have in mind currently is under 21, I would say. I quite like the idea of a school focus, since it lends a lot of structure to the plot. The day progresses in certain ways (lessons, breaks, lunchtime) and mixes different types of people together. We've probably also come across a fair bit of Japanese high school anime which we can draw from.

I'm completely open to whatever though

07.24.2014, 11:05 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would say the characters should all be of one social group whose daily goings-on brings them into close interaction on a regular and frequent basis.

School students fits well into such a social group, and I also can think of a few more groups of that sort that would work:

Shopkeepers or small business owners in one street or mall. A less popular side street works best for this such as we see in Only Yesterday, or a slightly run-down average mall such as in Haruhi Suzumiya. There could be a shrine in the street (plot hint).

A group of similar small business owners who all work on a seaside esplanade or quayside. A summer beach is always fun for various reasons and again it brings a like minded community together.

A department of office workers, or even a group of workers outdoors such as construction site, parks department, etc.

A group of students in another environment such as at an idol agency, art school, dance school, or a vocational college.

A military unit sent on a NATO policing operation that discovers something odd.

Its a great pity its been done before but the Haruhi Suzumiya universe would made a really good RP setting I think.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.24.2014, 12:05 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
A group of students in another environment such as at an idol agency, art school, dance school, or a vocational college.

This in particular would be neat I think. It would be similar enough to the old game to be easy to do, but using slightly older characters. The more specific area of study would also be a fun gimmick.

07.24.2014, 12:23 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
quote:

This in particular would be neat I think. It would be similar enough to the old game to be easy to do, but using slightly older characters. The more specific area of study would also be a fun gimmick.

Mhmm I also agree this would be neat!

My second choice (that was a great list by the way Saddles!) would be a collection of shops/businesses on the same street, since you could still have a pretty wide range of ages.

Minor thought though - if we'll be playing with a small clutch of players, the interactions may be a tad more tricky with a big range of ages. For example if six of us play, and of that six there are 2 F and 4 M, but both those F happen to be 17 year olds and 3 of the M are 30 yo + there would be a big limit on romantic interaction. Not that that's even necessary of course, but social mixing in general is a tad trickier with big age gaps.

07.24.2014, 12:34 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes, I think moving ages close-ish together is a good idea, unless one player wants to play a character of a different age for a sub-plot reason (mentor/guide/helper style role?).

Alternatively if a player doesn't want romantic developments they can just say so and still play a character of any age.

Alternative to the alternative is a romantic thing developing that does bridge a large age gap. That would need 2 or more players to agree in advance.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.24.2014, 01:05 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

quote:
Yes, I think moving ages close-ish together is a good idea, unless one player wants to play a character of a different age for a sub-plot reason (mentor/guide/helper style role?).

Alternatively if a player doesn't want romantic developments they can just say so and still play a character of any age.

Alternative to the alternative is a romantic thing developing that does bridge a large age gap. That would need 2 or more players to agree in advance.

I guess a romance with an age-gap might actually be pretty interesting!

As Kaz said, maybe it would be helpful to get everyone who plans to participate to say what kind of age they'd prefer their character to be? That would then also suggest the most suitable social situation.

07.24.2014, 03:09 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I'm leaning towards an older guy, maybe mid-30s. I had in mind a shopkeeper or teacher or shrine priest or even local cop if we went for a community setting. If we go for a student setting again I'd probably scrap that idea and go with a student. I feel that a teacher in a setting that revolves around the students just wouldn't have enough screen time, so to speak... or if he did it would be just a bit creepy.

I have to say I personally am leaning towards a small community of businesses in a seaside town or even a beachfront arcade where some odd spirit activity starts up.

I wonder if we could handle a setting where certain humans have spirit partners for the purpose of... something (planetary defence versus evil alien vampire immortal magical neko-girls in tiny skirts!!! is the obvious but we can make it more intelligent and/or low-key).

My thinking is each player character has a spirit ally that helps in some way (not exactly making them into X-men style super heros but something along those lines but more subtle).

I have this scene in my head of something strange washing up on the beach (end of inspirational vision for the moment).

Hmm... that vision leads me to playing a shrine priest, in fact quite and old guy, maybe like Tenjin from Norigami only human and not a god.

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/...in.Noragami.jpg

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.24.2014, 03:28 PM.

07.24.2014, 03:21 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Sorry to double post but I have just had a promising thought.

Eve no Jikan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrfqzoxH_d8

We use that universe for a story in which some characters are humans and some are androids but we do not know which is which...

Set this against a society in which android-human affectionate relationships are either socially frowned upon or even illegal, and a certain facility (cafe?) allows them to meet without the tell-tail holographic disc that androids by law must always display over their heads.

That movie uses Asimov's 3 Laws which seems a good (and well known) basis to build on.

07.24.2014, 03:37 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Ah those are both really interesting ideas!

I think I personally lean towards the spirit partner thing. My mind went straight to the His Dark Materials books, where everybody has matching 'daemons' which (Wikipedia describes) as 'animal embodiments of their inner selves'. It's a little similar to how the Shadows kind of worked in the old RPG, and I think that was fun.

It's funny you mention playing a priest as well, since I'd also been thinking about making a teenage girl with a strong relation to a shrine! Either a relative of the shrine priest, or raised by a very devout grandparent with strong ties to one.

I'm less fond of the android concept, but that's maybe just because my general preferences run more towards fantasy/the supernatural opposed to sci-fi.

07.24.2014, 04:16 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The seaside idea is fast growing on me.

Since I'm wanting to play someone near my own age, I'd be, I guess... the son of a store owner near the beach, something like that.

My Anime List

07.24.2014, 04:49 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Maybe store-owner parents have gone away for a summer break and left said offspring in charge of the shop?

I'm feeling the vibe of a shrine priest more and more, I dunno why.. they just seem cool

It seems there are houses on shrine grounds where families live to tend the buildings etc (see Tari Tari for an example where the character Sawa lived in a house and her family tended to the temple).

E.G.

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/...ShrineHouse.jpg

NC, your character could be one such, related or unrelated to my dude (no preference from me specifically). She could work at a shop in town.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.24.2014, 05:10 PM.

07.24.2014, 05:00 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Ooh, I like that idea a lot Saddles. I'd probably have her unrelated to your character, beyond perhaps him knowing her since she was a small child?

A summer setting would be nice. Events like shrine/firework festivals always provide interesting plot-points. It'd also work well with a seaside town as a backdrop.

EDIT: Also a quick thought running of what you mentioned earlier Saddles about something maybe 'washing up out of the ocean' - if we're playing around with the idea of spirits, perhaps something cursed/possessed would be interesting?

Post last edited by Nausicaa_Cat on 07.24.2014, 05:07 PM.

07.24.2014, 05:06 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I quite like the whole Japanese mythology thing about spirit animals - foxes, cats, snakes, crabs, I am sure there's plenty of others. Each person has a Companion. The Companion has animal form and certain powers it can grant to it's host/parent.

Ug, that sounded horribly Harry Potterish for a moment but I don't mean Companions in that way.

Whatever it was my mind saw being washed ashore could be something bad which triggers the Companions into action.

It'd be nice if the town shrine had an involvement in this.

I'd like the spirit-world side of things to be fairly subtle and the build-up to be slow (think a 26-ep anime). We don't need to get to the action until at least the half-way point Plenty of scope for character and world building until then.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.24.2014, 05:18 PM.

07.24.2014, 05:17 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Hey, hey... about something washing up on the shore... maybe something like this?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bake-kujira

I'm just scrolling down this page, it's very interesting:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_l...ures_from_Japan

They have some bizarro creatures in Japanese lore. I mean folklore is always a bit weird but this is special. XD

My Anime List

07.24.2014, 05:40 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

quote:
Hey, hey... about something washing up on the shore... maybe something like this?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bake-kujira

I'm just scrolling down this page, it's very interesting:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_l...ures_from_Japan

They have some bizarro creatures in Japanese lore. I mean folklore is always a bit weird but this is special. XD

Woah a ghostly-whale is awesome! A cursed sea spirit definitely has a great deal of interesting drama about it!

All those spirits are so interesting, even more so the really weirdly particular ones like that one which licks up dirt in bathrooms ahah. Or the one which is a 'luminescent heron'! Or 'washes adzuki beans'. There are actually too many great ones too even choose a fave.

Saddles, I also think making the town shrine important might be good - for example if the deity the shrine is dedicated to is meant to be a 'protector god/spirit' like Inari.

I think it'd be really nice to play on a lot of Japanese folklore. For example I was thinking of my character's spirit 'animal' perhaps being a two-headed deer/dog, reflecting the shishi lions which help guard shrines (mirroring her position as a shrine helper).

Post last edited by Nausicaa_Cat on 07.24.2014, 05:52 PM.

07.24.2014, 05:52 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd want to be around 22 or 23. I like the seaside, as I love water, so the seaside would be a good idea.

07.24.2014, 06:37 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Nice find Kaz:

"In other stories people say that the Bake-kujira brings a curse and general misfortune to the area where it is spotted."

Kitsune are always cute and make great messengers, NC. Also, mischievous which brings a lot of RP potential.

"Betobeto-san - Invisible spirit which follows people at night, making the sound of footsteps" - eh, creepy.

In fact Izakaya was about Japanese spirit beings, but in those days I was too ignorant of actual Japanese mythology and folklore to know their names. That's what the Shadows were and they were guardians or oni who protected the ill/dying person in return for a contract - which turned out to be their soul, in effect.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.24.2014, 07:21 PM.

07.24.2014, 07:07 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

quote:
Nice find Kaz:

"In other stories people say that the Bake-kujira brings a curse and general misfortune to the area where it is spotted."

Kitsune are always cute and make great messengers, NC. Also, mischievous which brings a lot of RP potential.

In fact Izakaya was about Japanese spirit beings, but in those days I was too ignorant of actual Japanese mythology and folklore to know their names. That's what the Shadows were and they were guardians or oni who protected the ill/dying person in return for a contract - which turned out to be their soul in effect.

An image of a ghostly whale, surrounded by 'strange birds and fish' drifting out of the mist is extremely...cinematic? I can't quite think of the right word to describe it.

Mhmm, I considered Kitsune too Saddles! They generally accompany Inari shrines though, but I suppose for a casual RPG being entirely accurate isn't important ahah. Kitsune are also super cool because they have this myth that if you take hold of the little ball/jewel they carry in their mouths, they have to promise to protect you. They also tend to possess magical powers. I somehow quite like the idea of a young female character with a really mischievous, misbehaving fox-spirit. The shrine ones tend to come in pairs though.

Post last edited by Nausicaa_Cat on 07.24.2014, 07:16 PM.

07.24.2014, 07:14 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Your character could have an NPC sister who is the other kitsune but she is lazy, indolent and an under-achiever who completely suppresses her Companion. It's there, it just sleeps all day.

I like the idea of a Bakeneko. There seem to be almost limitless types, so I could probably make up some characteristics.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.24.2014, 07:32 PM.

07.24.2014, 07:23 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks