QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - RPG Discussion - OOC
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions RPG Discussion - OOC Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Edit: just saying, I hadn't seen the previous two posts before writing this.

I was just thinking, the disaster itself won't be the reason the guardians need to appear. It'll be the fallout. An eruption in the tensions between the townspeople that puts our characters and their families in immediate danger. It would take that kind of trigger, wouldn't it?

After the disaster... the town could be cursed, by the spirit that washes up on the shore. This spirit could be our characters' first frightening sight of something supernatural. To most people what washes up looks like something natural (if we're going with the bake-kujira then they would just see a whale skeleton, an odd occurrence to be sure but nothing magical), but those from the old families can see something altogether different (using the example of the bake-kujira again, they might see sinister, shadowy birds picking at the bones and eel-like fish writhing amongst them, along with a general aura of evil).

With the curse... all kinds of bad things begin to happen in the town. Perhaps one or more townspeople might be falsely charged with sabotaging the factory. Or the factory owner might be murdered. There could be some kind of clash with police, a riot even. Even before all this happens there will be deep rifts between some families, with some supporting the factory and others strongly against it. The curse heightens peoples' anger and creates hatred and the threat of violence.

Perhaps this is too heavy, I'm just writing down thoughts as they come.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 07.25.2014, 08:42 PM.

07.25.2014, 08:39 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah, Saddles, don't worry that I'm not interested! I think I would actually prefer to have a new character, especially since Hibiki's close involvement in the main story of Isakaya would mean that that would need to be explained in some way.

Really, I'm just finding it a bit hard to keep up with all these ideas... I think as NC said earlier, the issue is that you three are in the same time zone, so it's easy for you to all come up with loads of new stuff while other people are asleep. Because of that, I don't want you to just drop the whole thing, because it sounds interesting, but it would be worth exploring some other possibilities too.

07.25.2014, 08:47 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ooh Kaz, I think that's my favourite approach so far! That makes a lot of sense.

EDIT: I thought that might be the case Arren! Do you have any ideas you want to put out there?

Post last edited by Nausicaa_Cat on 07.25.2014, 08:49 PM.

07.25.2014, 08:47 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah, that's good NC. Wasn't sure if I was going off in the wrong direction there.

What you thinking then, arren? 'Other possibilities' is a little vague. Let us know what your ideas are.

This thread makes me feel like a kitten with a ball of yarn. I love it.

Oh, by the way, if anyone's wanting some photoshopping done for character pictures then I'd be happy to have a go at that. I know sometimes I find a character who mostly looks right but needs their eye colour or hair changed, things like that.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 07.25.2014, 09:11 PM.

07.25.2014, 09:07 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I'm officially lost. Where am I and what are we talking about?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.26.2014, 05:44 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

It's off to page one with you, Roar. XD

Or NC did a little summary of things at the end of the last page.

But you should totally go to page one. :3

My Anime List

07.26.2014, 05:46 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree with you NC, that the spirit world would intervene to save the land rather than the people, Mononoke style, so that's a better basic reason for them to become active.

The new hotel complex however could either destroy a swathe of forest or it's waterpark could ruin the breeding areas of lots of fish and other sea creatures so we can work in an impact on nature moreso than an impact on the community. Not that the community wouldn't be impacted - it would, but I see some being in favour while others are against. That would be an extra reason for character tensions since its not all an Us and Them situation.

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
I was just thinking, the disaster itself won't be the reason the guardians need to appear. It'll be the fallout. An eruption in the tensions between the townspeople that puts our characters and their families in immediate danger. It would take that kind of trigger, wouldn't it?

After the disaster... the town could be cursed, by the spirit that washes up on the shore. This spirit could be our characters' first frightening sight of something supernatural. To most people what washes up looks like something natural (if we're going with the bake-kujira then they would just see a whale skeleton, an odd occurrence to be sure but nothing magical), but those from the old families can see something altogether different (using the example of the bake-kujira again, they might see sinister, shadowy birds picking at the bones and eel-like fish writhing amongst them, along with a general aura of evil).

With the curse... all kinds of bad things begin to happen in the town. Perhaps one or more townspeople might be falsely charged with sabotaging the factory. Or the factory owner might be murdered. There could be some kind of clash with police, a riot even. Even before all this happens there will be deep rifts between some families, with some supporting the factory and others strongly against it. The curse heightens peoples' anger and creates hatred and the threat of violence.

Perhaps this is too heavy, I'm just writing down thoughts as they come.

I have this vision of a nice beach here and I wouldn't want that covered in oil or chemicals... I just have a hard time explaining this but to me that's a pretty tragic issue, so if we go with a pollution situation I would prefer it to be either in the air (nuclear?) or an industry (factory fumes, whaling, rail construction) more than something that ruins the beautiful landscape.

I feel also that the spirits would sense it happening and awaken to stop it, rather than allow it to happen and respond afterwards.

How do others think about this?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.26.2014, 06:21 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Oh, by the way, if anyone's wanting some photoshopping done for character pictures then I'd be happy to have a go at that. I know sometimes I find a character who mostly looks right but needs their eye colour or hair changed, things like that.

We are using anime characters again I assume, not photos of real people?

I'm finding it hard to find a male priest who isn't ancient or all warty! I was thinking of a man in his 30s, moderately good looking but burdened by life - finding a face that age in anime is hard enough but I'd like him to be wearing priests clothes as well, so its a tall order.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.26.2014, 06:23 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
quote:

We are using anime characters again I assume, not photos of real people?

I'm finding it hard to find a male priest who isn't ancient or all warty! I was thinking of a man in his 30s, moderately good looking but burdened by life - finding a face that age in anime is hard enough but I'd like him to be wearing priests clothes as well, so its a tall order.

I think a few of my shoujo mangas feature priests like that! I don't how 'burdened' they'll look though, since it is shoujo aha.

This guy:
http://mangafox.me/manga/kenjutsu_komachi/c001/13.html

Is meant to be of fathers age and is a shrine priest.

There's also this dude:

http://mangafox.me/manga/5_ji_kara_9_ji_made/v01/c001/9.html

Once again he appears rather unlined, but it's a josei where they are meant to be late 20s/30 years old. Idk about the art style with this one, but you could have a little look through.

I'll have a further think, I know those aren't ideal since they have't had anime adaptations yet.

Post last edited by Nausicaa_Cat on 07.26.2014, 06:37 AM.

07.26.2014, 06:37 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I know what you mean, Saddles, I had an image of a pretty coastline too. Just... as you said yourself, it needs to be something pretty big and pretty serious to draw out these creatures that have been dormant for... well, probably more than 100 years. Hm. Maybe if the damage from whatever it is was more confined to the sea, affecting the life out there but leaving the beaches well enough alone. Maybe there could be red tides? They've happened in Japan before and they're quite dramatic.

I like the second guy you posted, NC. Cute. That's quite something to drop on your daughter on her birthday though, damn...

I had a look through my anime list trying to think of characters that might be suitable for the priest... I thought perhaps Tobari from Nabari no Ou? There are a couple of pictures from the manga of him in kimono, none in priests' clothes as far as I've seen... He just seems like the type. He's supposed to be twenty-five but could be thirty to thirty-five. That's all I got. Although...~ Shigure or Hatori from Fruits Basket might work? Iunno.

EDIT: And yes, Saddles, I think we're all using anime characters.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 07.26.2014, 09:34 AM.

07.26.2014, 07:22 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've got my anime representation! And he's from a less-known anime that happens to be one of my faves!

07.26.2014, 09:31 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I found:

http://www.anime-planet.com/characters/all

Was a great resource. You can search by all kinds of tags and filters. I searched under "male priest" and have collected dozens of images. I just have to choose... *sigh*

EDIT: I was thinking about a title for the RP. I wanted something like "Spirits of the People" and thought that might come out something like "Kami no Ningen" but Google tells me its

人々の霊

Hitobito no rei

I also like the title "Chosen"

選ばれた

Eraba reta

or "Selected"

選択した」

Sentaku shita

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.26.2014, 09:45 AM.

07.26.2014, 09:34 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Maybe a good compromise is, like you said Kaz, an environmental issue but one which affects the sea but not the beaches. I think a new Japanese whaling factory/ship could be a good option? It'd also make sense in particular if we run with the whale spirit. Or an offshore oil rig? These can cause lots of damage to local sea-life without any actual spills. I guess I prefer a sea incident to the hotel idea (which now you've explained it further, I get a lot more where you're coming from) simply because I like the idea of a vengeful sea spirit.

In terms of whether the spirits awaken to protect or to deal with the aftermath, another compromise could be that they awaken when construction first begins/following the first whaling expedition? This way it's before major damage is done but is also dealing with immediate consequences. It makes for a nice moment perhaps of them 'waking up' as those first trees or plowed or animal killed. We could have those characters with the attached hosts, 'feel' this awakening and in the same moment have the outsiders witnessing the event or something like that.

I feel like the weight of something bad happening, even if it's only the beginning of bad, being more dramatic and climatic than a fear of something bad. Does that make any sense or am I rambling? It's super warm here and I feel like my mind sort of turns to mush.

Roar/Arren did my summary on the former page help describe current ideas at all? I'm happy to go back and edit it so it's a bit more comprehensive/clearer.

P.S. I like the first of those names the best Saddles! Sounds more anime-title-esque for some reason.

Post last edited by Nausicaa_Cat on 07.26.2014, 11:01 AM.

07.26.2014, 11:01 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Ha. I'm having fun bouncing around google in pursuit of anime priests. I like this one:

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.27.2014, 03:52 PM.

07.26.2014, 11:22 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
(post)
I'm in agreement with everything that you wrote there.

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Ha. I'm having fun bouncing around google in pursuit of anime priests. I like this one:
LOL. That's anime priests for you I guess. :') Reminds me of Alexander Anderson from Hellsing... he was one badass priest. Freaking crazy, but badass.

My Anime List

07.26.2014, 03:48 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Hmmm, for some reason Saddles that image appears as a broken link to me what did you think of the compromises I suggested?

Plus shall I make a character info/application form so people can put up what kind of characters they are thinking of? Might help finalise plot details also.

07.27.2014, 07:54 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saddles, do you mean "the people" as in citizens? In that case I would probably translate it as 国民の魂 (kokumin no tamashii).

And sorry, I still haven't gone through to look at what's been happening, so I can't really contribute yet! I'm up to my eyes in packing.

07.27.2014, 12:20 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Saddles, do you mean "the people" as in citizens? In that case I would probably translate it as 国民の魂 (kokumin no tamashii).

Isn't tamashii more like spirit in the sense of a soul, like someone's own spirit? I assumed Saddles meant spirit as in these magical creatures. Going by my searches in Denshi Jisho, the closest words to that are kami or rei.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 07.27.2014, 12:58 PM.

07.27.2014, 12:54 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Ah, I must have misunderstood. In that case, maybe rei or kami is good - perhaps youkai or yuurei if we're treating them as something spooky.

07.27.2014, 12:57 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Mm, kami or youkai seem best... Rei and yuurei seem to suggest ghosts/departed spirits.

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
Plus shall I make a character info/application form so people can put up what kind of characters they are thinking of? Might help finalise plot details also.
That'd be a good idea if you're happy to do it, yes.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 07.27.2014, 01:32 PM.

07.27.2014, 01:03 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks