QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - ATTENTION NEW TAVERN MEMBERS: Introduction Thread
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » ATTENTION NEW TAVERN MEMBERS: Introduction Thread » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the Tavern, CheekyTWChick, here's hoping that you like it here.

Sorry to hear about your husband, but hope that he gets well soon.

And I also hope that you will enjoy your viewing of Howl's...

And, again, Welcome!

02.22.2015, 07:55 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Totorosfantasy
Tanuki

Registration Date: 02.23.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Totorosfantasy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just realized I should've posted in this thread for my "introduction" instead of creating a new one. In any event, hi! :-)

02.25.2015, 01:04 PM Totorosfantasy is offline   Profile for Totorosfantasy Add Totorosfantasy to your buddy list Send an Email to Totorosfantasy
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Don't worry about it, it's up to you whether to make a thread or a post here. ^.^ This is a relatively new thread after all.

My Anime List

02.26.2015, 02:13 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
CheekyTWChick
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.22.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by CheekyTWChick Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I finally watched my first Ghibli the other night. I threw myself in and actually bought Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and The Cat Returns.

Have only watched Nausicaa, it was amazing, hoping to watch The Cat Returns later today

03.08.2015, 11:41 AM CheekyTWChick is offline   Profile for CheekyTWChick Add CheekyTWChick to your buddy list
jusomekid
Ohmu

Registration Date: 06.21.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jusomekid Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome CheekyTWChick!
The Cat Returns is awesome! I think you'll enjoy it too.
But when you get to Grave of the Fireflies....

03.08.2015, 02:46 PM jusomekid is offline   Profile for jusomekid Add jusomekid to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the Tavern, CheekyTWChick. I'm glad that you enjoyed Nausicaa. Don't forget to check out your local library. I know that mine has a half dozen or more of the Ghibli movies...

03.08.2015, 05:09 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Maenad1
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.05.15
  DelurkingPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maenad1 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi! I'm new here, although I've been lurking for a bit before I created an account. I'm a forty-something anime lover from the U.S., specifically, from the Midwest. I consider it my mission in life (well, one of my missions) to introduce people to quality animation, and to that end, my three kids (ages 7, 12 and 13) are all anime lovers and big fans of Studio Ghibli.

I do like anime series and movies by other studios/directors, but even Studio Ghibli's worst efforts are better than most other studios' best efforts, IMO. I recently saw "When Marnie Was There" and I loved it -- it makes me so sad that it's likely to be Ghibli's last film.

Anyway, thanks for having me here, and I look forward to making everyone's acquaintance

07.05.2015, 04:30 PM Maenad1 is offline   Profile for Maenad1 Add Maenad1 to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the Tavern, Maenad! Good to have you on board. Ha, that's a noble mission you have, I like it.

My Anime List

07.05.2015, 05:51 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Welcome to the Tavern, Maenad1, Welcome. We are always looking for new members and the age thing is no factor. I'm 68 myself and love the Ghibli Movies as it reminds me of the Japan I knew when I was iver there in the mid-60's...

Again,
Welcome

07.05.2015, 06:01 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi Maenad. There's a few of us old geezers here. I'm 55 and fell in love with Ghibli and other anime when I was about 40 so don't feel like you're odd.

I don't think I've watched much or liked any western animation since I discovered Asian animation, apart from a few "arty" shorts.

We don't spent too much time discussing Ghibli here at the moment but we do talk a fair bit about other anime and manga, as well as music, books and Japanese language and culture generally.

Hope you stay around!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.06.2015, 03:05 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I must be one of the few left who hasn't seen Marnie yet And it looked so good too. I already missed the Psycho Pass movie last weekend because I flat out forgot (go me)

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.06.2015, 07:42 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Lynnie
Kodama

Registration Date: 10.07.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lynnie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow, to think I missed this thread.....went over it a couple times lmao.
----
Well, why not- although it's kinda long:
Tell us about yourself!
-I'm an university student (studying art & art history) and Canadian.
-I have a sister (twin sister, fraternal twins), and an older brother.
-Unfortunately, I have a lot of health problems. (I should mention that all my athletic statements were all "achieved" before my health issues started up).
-I listen to variety of music ranging from pop, ballad, pop ballad, indie, indie rock, R&B, eletrco, dance/club, jazz, (some blues), kpop, alternative rock, chill rap, NUJABES, etc
-My favourite bands are : Imagine Dragons and Of Monsters And Men
-I'm 5'1 (154cm)
-I'm a black belt (Tae Kwon Do, did that for ten years), I used to run a lot (track, across country, etc)
-Despite being "athletic" I am a poor swimmer...
-I used to be a forum junkie.
-Fun fact: I used to be addicted to caffeine. (Story time..) I used to drink 5-8 mugs of highly concentrated tea everyday until I randomly stopped and thus I experienced pains in my chest and head. I went to the doctors and he explained I was going through withdrawal symptoms and that I was addicted. Now, I drink a good amount of tea...I can never leave it...I love it...
-I enjoy watching dances? Like choreographies?
-I have a love for Sengoku Basara's Katakura Kojuro....& Sailor Moon
-I have a cat and I hope to get a shiba-inu when I'm older (or a pug)...
-I like historical fiction, mystery....I also used to be very into anime and manga when I was younger but now I'm a casual watcher/reader....as of right now I'm currently collecting the Sailor Moon manga
-I love fashion/shopping
-Fruits and vegetables are your friends!!!
-I drink a lot of water!
-I'm a huge fan of Studio Ghibli films and movies directed by Mamoru Hosoda (summer wars, Wolf children, etc), Satoshi Kon ( Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, etc), and Makoto Shinkai (5cm per second, Garden of Words, etc)
-I love traveling. It's kinda sad though...you see I am very weak in the sense that I have terrible motion/sea sickness. But I really do enjoy traveling! I've been to Costa Rica(due to family(I've gone there lots of times!)), El Salvador(due to family) and China (sweet 16th celebration), and I've traveled to different parts of Canada such as: Prince Edward Island (P.E.I),Montreal and Quebec.
My friends back in High school called me a 'dragon slayer' (if you have watched or read Fairy Tail, you will get the joke...).
I hope to visit many more places such as: Vience, Japan, Korea, Iceland, New Zealand, etc..

Post last edited by Lynnie on 10.14.2015, 02:48 PM.

10.14.2015, 02:43 PM Lynnie is offline   Profile for Lynnie Add Lynnie to your buddy list
jusomekid
Ohmu

Registration Date: 06.21.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jusomekid Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@Lynnie
Welcome to the tavern! I hope you stay for a while and get to know us better!

10.14.2015, 10:59 PM jusomekid is offline   Profile for jusomekid Add jusomekid to your buddy list
Stephen
Kodama

Registration Date: 10.27.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Stephen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Greetings from Kent, England. About 30 miles south east of London.

Have got into Ghibli with my young daughter. We have progressed from Totoro and Ponyo, to Whisper and Laputa, with Kaguya and Marnie more recently. Probably have about half the films.

Look forward to swapping ideas with you all.

10.27.2015, 06:44 AM Stephen is offline   Profile for Stephen Add Stephen to your buddy list
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Stephen
Greetings from Kent, England. About 30 miles south east of London.

Have got into Ghibli with my young daughter. We have progressed from Totoro and Ponyo, to Whisper and Laputa, with Kaguya and Marnie more recently. Probably have about half the films.

Look forward to swapping ideas with you all.

Welcome mate, I have family who used to live in Kent. I am also English. What is your favourite so far then???.

Mine is Whisper, I do hope you post more could do with some active fresh faces haha

10.27.2015, 09:59 AM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
husky51
The Old Guy

Love your intro, Lynnie, I too am Canadian born, but my mother came to the States when I was 6 after I attended 1st grade up there. I am sorry for your illness and hope that it is curable. You sound like a great, upbeat person and I hope to get to know you better through the Tavern. Hang in there, kiddo..

Oh, by the way, as my title indicates, I AM the old guy, 69 this year and been a member for over 7 years. I love Ghibli and many other anime and manga.

Welcome to the tavern, Stephen, hope you like it here in the Tavern.

Post last edited by husky51 on 10.27.2015, 11:48 AM.

10.27.2015, 11:45 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Only 7 years Husky? Noob.

Welcome new people. I'm British as well, used to live in Croydon, then Brighton. My sister lived near Maidstone and I know Kent well, still have friends down there and visit Harrietsham, Sutton Valence and Headcorn fairly frequently.

I'm currently living in the midlands, quite near Kettering.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.27.2015, 02:42 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Stephen
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Stephen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Koda
What is your favourite so far then???.

Hey Koda. Thanks for the welcome.

The strange thing is having had several different favourites for different times and moods. Kiki was my daughter's first big Ghibli obsession (also got the non-anime version). Totoro was sweet and fun. Whisper is the nearest to a girly romance I have ever liked. But it is nice Ghibli has become more complex and evolved with our interest. Kaguya is stunningly beautiful, and having been charmed by the book together, Marnie is a new favourite.

10.27.2015, 05:08 PM Stephen is offline   Profile for Stephen Add Stephen to your buddy list
Stephen
Kodama

Thanks husky51 and Saddletank.

Know Maidstone well, and have had passing encounters with those other villages.

10.27.2015, 05:11 PM Stephen is offline   Profile for Stephen Add Stephen to your buddy list
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Stephen
quote:
Originally posted by Koda
What is your favourite so far then???.

Hey Koda. Thanks for the welcome.

The strange thing is having had several different favourites for different times and moods. Kiki was my daughter's first big Ghibli obsession (also got the non-anime version). Totoro was sweet and fun. Whisper is the nearest to a girly romance I have ever liked. But it is nice Ghibli has become more complex and evolved with our interest. Kaguya is stunningly beautiful, and having been charmed by the book together, Marnie is a new favourite.

I have yet to see Marnie, I wait for the Blu Ray releases so sometime next year. To be honest all are great, what is next on your list ?

Arrietty is a great one, as is Howl's Moving Castle. Of Course Spirited is amazing, From upon Poppy hill
Ahh they're all amazing

10.27.2015, 08:22 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
[  «    1  2  3  4  5    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks