QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - GHEEBLEE MAARAATHOONN
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » GHEEBLEE MAARAATHOONN » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  GHEEBLEE MAARAATHOONNPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Can we start? I figured we could go chronologically so we can also get a taste of how ghibli, and the periods it went through, develop over the years.

So, Nausicaa. Watch it this weekend and we start discussion on Monday?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.15.2015, 08:04 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

OKey, Dokey, Artichokeeeee...

01.15.2015, 12:17 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm up for this. Are we looking at one movie every two weeks approx?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.17.2015, 07:21 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yep. Gives enough time for anyone to catch up at least, and enough to last the whole year while giving breaks in lieu of holidays and sorts.

I did already watch it again in the cinema a few months back so it's still pretty fresh in my mind. But personally, I find Nausicaa's solo hunt in the opening, particularly her lying under the eye shell, to be my favourite scene; it's just so peaceful.

The music though... not a big fan. Like some mystic hindu/techno mix.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

01.18.2015, 08:48 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
potatotarzan
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.02.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by potatotarzan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw Nausicaa in theaters for the first time not too terribly long ago. I can't speak for the music as a whole, but that song with the little kid singing, while Nausicaa is being lifted up toward the end, that one really got to me... I started bawling there....

01.18.2015, 06:11 PM potatotarzan is offline   Profile for potatotarzan Add potatotarzan to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Really? Well I know a lot of people like the opening theme. There's a sort of solemnity and melancholy that comes with seeing a story that begins with the end of the world.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

01.19.2015, 09:42 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
potatotarzan
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by potatotarzan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

* I suppose "bawling" is the wrong word; I was trying to keep it quiet, because my best friend was sitting right next to me, lol...

01.19.2015, 09:04 PM potatotarzan is offline   Profile for potatotarzan Add potatotarzan to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am never ashamed or self-conscious about honest crying in front of others... My kids used to ked me that I have 'soggy eyeballs' lol

01.20.2015, 01:28 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Nausicaa in the Valley of the Wind

I have seen this movie at least four or five times, but never really analyzed it before.

I saw where Nausicaa exclaimed about finding an Ohmu track just a few seconds after seeing one walk by just a short distance away, which struck me as odd, but that may have been the sub-titling. And later on when the Ohmu was checking her out with the golden tendrils, it seemed to be demonstrating species memory of her as a young child. It definitely recognized her. At the 1:50 mark, the action paused and there was a period of profound silence that was most appropriate. It really fit right in. Earlier in the movie and towards the end when she is being lifted up by the massed Ohmu into the air I enjoyed the thematic music of what sounds to me like a pan pipe and them the children's voices singing....

One part, where she is walking atop the golden light, I actually got chills... in a good feeling way.

The one part of the movie that I thought was purposeful fan service were the flesh-colored tights that Nausicaa wore. almost until the end of the show... After a bit, I really didn't notice it, but a slightly different color might have been more appropriate.

My take on the movie overall was enjoyment. lots of color, good artwork. Some humor, some action, some love and some sadness
and it all tied together, IMO...

Some of my remarks may be repeated in other synopsis'...

01.22.2015, 04:14 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would join if I could, unfortunately am at university and don't have my films with me. Or a TV. But happy to join in the discussions.

My Anime List

01.22.2015, 07:40 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

You don't have your Ghibli's with you!!!!!

01.22.2015, 02:10 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@husky

try the bluray version. ghibli had issues with color in the dvd. it is actually more like yellowish off-white.

myreview

best of ghibli in terms of story, music and animation is good enough.

more practical

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

01.22.2015, 03:04 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

hahaha, I'll have to suffer, saviour, no Blu-ray player

01.22.2015, 04:04 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

As long as we're talking about nausicaa, I'd like to have a discussion in one particular topic: namely, the spores and its effects.

In the movie, I only remember four importants points regarding this. They are:

1) The poison is in the plant spores, airborne
2) It causes petrification of limbs
3) It is very, very potent
4) The source of the poison is the soil, possibly chemical toxins from weapons

I wanted to consider if there were similarities with other existing spores like anthrax. However, the movie seem to imply that the potency is such that it causes death within the hour, depending on spore density.

Also, that petrification is alien to me. It seems to imply that it is a symptom of ingesting, rather than inhaling, the spores. That would mean that either the spores or the poison remains in the bloodstream, or otherwise remain only in the hands and feet, where blood circulation is poorest.

I got many more theories, but what are your thoughts?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

01.23.2015, 11:52 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
potatotarzan
Kodama

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
The one part of the movie that I thought was purposeful fan service were the flesh-colored tights that Nausicaa wore. almost until the end of the show... After a bit, I really didn't notice it, but a slightly different color might have been more appropriate.

Ah yes, the famous Nausicaa pants discussion! For some reason the idea of it being fan service never occurred to me. It's just sort of... strange... If Anno's Nausicaa movie sequel does materialize and I see that her pants are still colored that way, I will fly to Japan, track down Anno, and be like, "NO! Don't do it!!!"

On the inside cover of the second volume of the manga, there is a picture of Nausicaa with different parts of her outfit labelled. Pointing to her pants, it says, "Pants are pants"!! Lol, I got such a kick out of that. I doubt it's actually true, but I like to think that it was Miyazaki's way of saying:

"And for those of you who still think Nausicaa isn't wearing anything underneath..." *shakes his head slowly*

01.25.2015, 12:14 PM potatotarzan is offline   Profile for potatotarzan Add potatotarzan to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched the film today. It must be over 10 years since I've seen it. I was struck by how much of its action, themes and even plot was similar to Laputa.

I was engaged deeply by the animation quality, the characters (for the most part) and the imagination behind the story.

I was struck by how many facets of the much more recent CGI movie "Avatar" appear to have been inspired by Nausicaa, in particular the forest, the Ohmu's communication by tendrils, a 'tree of life' symbol and the colour blue

Parts of the musical score I love and these are the songs with traditional orchestra. I agree with Roar that the 80s electronica music feels dated and anachronistic.

While the story has a good solid base in its meaning I feel it wanders a little in the mid-area and at times gets clogged up with poor pacing and unnecessary plot bylines.

I love the scene of the melting God Warrior at the end, the animation is fantastic in that scene - then it would be since it was directed by Anno Hideaki

Its was an interesting watch because so much of it was fresh after such a long break. Its well down my list of great Ghibli's though.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 01.29.2015, 04:17 PM.

01.29.2015, 04:15 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Somene else said avatar was a copy of pocahontas but anyway. What do you think the movie would be like if the actually included the god warrior surviving like in the comic? Actually, I think a lot of people would want to see an animated series for Nausicàa done as close to the comic in as close a style as Miyazaki did it. Nadia was great and all, so I really can't help wondering if Nausicaa coudln't have been just as great.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

01.30.2015, 11:12 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Somene else said avatar was a copy of pocahontas but anyway. What do you think the movie would be like if the actually included the god warrior surviving like in the comic? Actually, I think a lot of people would want to see an animated series for Nausicàa done as close to the comic in as close a style as Miyazaki did it. Nadia was great and all, so I really can't help wondering if Nausicaa coudln't have been just as great.

budget

was will and is the big factor as they wont lower their quality

IG production has great relationship with mainstream anime viewer

while ghibli does not

it is hard to accept anime today as it contains great amount of questionable content[no debate]

so i think it wont be successful even if its from ghibli[ specially i think it can not make profit only from trp]

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

02.01.2015, 02:35 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

trp

(note: see title... 'The Old Guy')

Post last edited by husky51 on 02.01.2015, 03:12 PM.

02.01.2015, 03:11 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

An animated series based on the Nausicaa manga would be fantastic.

Nausicaa is however one of the works closest to Miyazaki's heart and I suspect he would not be happy unless he directed it. I can't see that happening. Somehow a Nausicaa produced with modern production values, CGI, etc would not have the same gritty rough feeling as the original.

A wonderful dream but more than likely a dream nonetheless.

What is our next movie and when? Is it Laputa?

02.01.2015, 03:53 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks