QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What are the best Ghibli movies? In your order....
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » What are the best Ghibli movies? In your order.... » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
MiyazakiGirl
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.17.15
  What are the best Ghibli movies? In your order....Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by MiyazakiGirl Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm pretty interested to know what Ghibli movies are the "best" in your opinion, although I know many of you guys will be clutching your heads while your mind explodes- because, of course, it would be basically impossible to do what I'm asking you..

The reason I'm interested is because, well, I haven't seen all the Ghibli movies, mainly because I don't have the money to buy them. But my friends have some.. so I'm wondering what ones are the best to start off with then work my way through them from 1 then 10, 2 then 9, 3 then 8 and so on. It would be great if you give your opinions on the films and feelings and thoughts as well.

Origatooooo!

01.19.2015, 12:03 AM MiyazakiGirl is offline   Profile for MiyazakiGirl Add MiyazakiGirl to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We have all listed out favorites before in here, somewhere..

I think the one that stands out the most and is considered #1 by most of us is "Whisper of the Heart"...

01.19.2015, 04:42 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This thread is a game we played recently and I think the results generally give a fair idea of which Ghibli's many of us like. There were a few odd results such as how early on "Grave of the Fireflies" was eliminated but other than that I think its a decent reflection of this community's tastes/opinions.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.19.2015, 02:06 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Aside from some people playing their own game

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.20.2015, 08:28 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You wouldn't be talking about yourself, now, would you, Mr. Roar???

01.20.2015, 11:57 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
AdamMagdalene
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.08.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by AdamMagdalene Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My top 3 at the top of my head would be

Princess Mononoke
Howl's Moving Castle
Spirited Away

*sigh* those were good times

03.08.2015, 01:56 AM AdamMagdalene is offline   Profile for AdamMagdalene Add AdamMagdalene to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I was on a tour of an old historical hotel today after a Symposium and the young guy driving the cart notices my Totoro and Kodama tattoos and he told me that his favorite Ghibli was Howl's Moving Castle.

03.08.2015, 02:44 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey, Adam, welcome to the Tavern!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.08.2015, 05:43 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

My apologies for not saying it in my previous post, AdamMagdalene, but Welcome to the Tavern... Hope that you enjoy yourself in the Forum...
Again, Welcome!

03.08.2015, 11:00 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
AdamMagdalene
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.08.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by AdamMagdalene Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank you guys so much, Studio Ghibli films have been a big part of my life ever since I rented Princess Mononoke at Blockbuster...

The passing of time is bitter sweet

03.08.2015, 10:53 PM AdamMagdalene is offline   Profile for AdamMagdalene Add AdamMagdalene to your buddy list
Totorosfantasy
Tanuki

Registration Date: 02.23.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Totorosfantasy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My top three:
1. Nausicaa
2. Princess Mononoke
3. Grave of the Fireflies

Among the rest of what I'd deem the "Ghibli essentials" are: Totoro, Porco Rosso, Whisper of the Heart, Tale of Princess Kaguya, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Howl's Moving Castle.

03.11.2015, 12:23 PM Totorosfantasy is offline   Profile for Totorosfantasy Add Totorosfantasy to your buddy list Send an Email to Totorosfantasy
PrinceKaguya
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.13.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by PrinceKaguya Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ive only just started watching Ghibli films but when I watched Tale of Princess Kaguya for the first time today in my room. I wrapped my blanket around myself and cried and just so you know im an 18 yr old boy. and 3 out of all the movies ive watched in any genre made me cry this one was by far the most touching.

Kaguya is love Kaguya is life

03.13.2015, 01:42 PM PrinceKaguya is offline   Profile for PrinceKaguya Add PrinceKaguya to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Don't worry about the male crying thing, PK, I'm sure that most of us guys have done it a time or two. Me, many times and I ain't ashamed...

03.13.2015, 07:33 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I cry at movies all the time. First time I watched Only Yesterday the ending had me bawling my eyes out for about 10 minutes.

The ending of Pom Poko also affects me strongly as well.

The series Usagi Drop pretty much has me in tears through most episodes.

03.13.2015, 10:48 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
PrinceKaguya
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.13.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by PrinceKaguya Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't condemn anyone for crying over movies/tv shows its just something that doesn't happen that often with me now theres 4 movies that make me tear up and thats a good thing because it means there 4 great movies in the world.

03.14.2015, 03:51 PM PrinceKaguya is offline   Profile for PrinceKaguya Add PrinceKaguya to your buddy list
msteve60
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.30.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by msteve60 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My top 5:

1. Princess Kaguya
2. Only Yesterday
3. Sprited Away
4. Pom Poko
5. Porco Rosso

02.10.2017, 02:41 AM msteve60 is offline   Profile for msteve60 Add msteve60 to your buddy list
tenkensmile
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.26.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tenkensmile Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1. Sprited Away
2. Howl's Moving Castle

04.27.2017, 09:12 PM tenkensmile is offline   Profile for tenkensmile Add tenkensmile to your buddy list Send an Email to tenkensmile Homepage of tenkensmile
Threewishes
Tanuki

Registration Date: 03.23.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Threewishes Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My current top five is:

1.Spirited Away
2.Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
3.Princess Mononoke
4.Totoro
5.Laputa

05.03.2017, 10:01 AM Threewishes is offline   Profile for Threewishes Add Threewishes to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

All very good movies...

My top three???

dang, that's hard...

1. Whisper of the Heart
2. Totoro
3. Spirited Away; Ocean Waves; Only Yesterday;
Heck there are so many that fit into this rating IMO Very hard to decide...

05.03.2017, 01:14 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My top three is always changing but for right now:

1. Castle in the Sky
2. My Neighbor Totoro
3. Spirited Away

Honorable mentions to Kiki's Delivery Service and The Wind Rises.

05.04.2017, 06:33 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks