QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - 20 Questions
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » 20 Questions » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ooh this is neat. I'll play.

Question 6) If you had to make a bucket list (assuming you don't have one already), what would be the number thing on it?

06.14.2015, 08:02 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Question 5):

Numerous times too frequent to remember and not always making love. Things we did together, learning to ride motorcycles together (mostly her); Flying a small plane together; Just things that we did together... Just being together around that apartment with one another, etc...

Hard to put my finger on any one specific event or time

I would say that our wedding day was romantic, but that turned into a fiasco that ended up with the wife sleeping in her mother's car at the beach and me sleeping on a blanket with her mother and both the wife and I (thanks to her Uncle Bud supplying the different types of booze and toating us frequently) so sick with alcohol that we couldn't do anything for three days... Started out fun, but deteriorated rapidly... lol We had held the wedding party that night at the beach around a campfire..

I was friends with a lot of women and girls over the years, but not in a romantic way.

06.15.2015, 02:06 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Question 6):

fen, I am assuming that you meant to say the "number ONE thing..." on my busket list...

I would have to say doing a parachute jump. I would prefer solo, but i know that would not be permitted.

Have to get my weight down about 50 lbs , first...

Also not sure if I would be allowed with my knees as bad as they are...

A female Paraglider named Danielle has offered to take me up on a tandem flight sown in the Torrey Pines area of San Diego... I know a lot of Paragliders through my friendship with my friend Bob.

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.15.2015, 02:15 AM.

06.15.2015, 02:14 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

OK, all... unless we are going to give the week time limit for the 20 questions the old heave ho, you have the rest of today and two more days to ask me up to 14 more questions.

06.15.2015, 04:00 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Question 7) What's the most interesting place you've travelled?

Question 8 ) How did you discover anime and/or what got you into it?

Question 9) Favourite Ghibli - and why?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 06.15.2015, 04:30 PM.

06.15.2015, 04:30 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It was suggested that we have Sunday as the start day for new answerers, so how about we go until then? We can try and fit 20 questions into a week with the next person.

06.15.2015, 04:41 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Question 7)

Thinking about it, there were three places, mainly two that I put in that category.
a) Was Subic Bay in the Philippines. When off duty, I would rent a small sailboat and cross the Bay to Grande Island, a small island near the mouth of the Bay and go skindiving by myself as no one else seemed interested.

b) Hong Kong, especially the second time I was there. Met up with some Aussies sailors off of the HMAS Melbourne, ages 1-15 and 2-16 yr olds. and acted as a tour guide around Hong Kong and Kowloon on the mainland.

C) to a lesser degree, Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. to visit with my daughters family. Saw the sights and bonded with my grandkids...
=====================================

Question

I've always enjoyed cartoon movies since they first came out. The first I ever saw on a drive-In movie screen was "Alakazam the Great" around 1960, I believe. There weren't too many movies like that and I kind of fell away from that genre, because there wasn't any, at least around where I was. Later, after I got out of the Navy, I had seen some Ghibli, "Spirited Away", I believe was the first and another was "Kiki..." on TV, can't remember any others right now. When I saw them again, I became more interested in them and other anime, mostly comedy/ coming of age type films. They are still my favorites.

The Ghibli's kind of reminded me of what it was like in Japan during the time I was over there. The gods, culture, etc. This was in the mid-1960's when I was over there.

======================================

Question 9)

Favorite Ghibli is "Whisper of the Heart"... Just the general texture of the story. A young teen on their own, learning to live int the 'real' world and not just living at home. The people helping and not helping, the baker and the cop, for two. Her meeting with the Artist thru mis-adventure with the birds and the help fromher.

Wasn't asked for, but #2 Ghibli would prob be "Totoro...". Reminded me of the Japan I knew, the scenery, the interior of the farmhouse, the similarity to the farmhouse that my family and I were invited to for the weekend that wasn't a tourist thing, but a friends house, on a rice farm. Sympathized with the older girl for her respionsibility for her younger sister, much as I was in the same situation as a child her age...

Hope this covers your three questions...

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.15.2015, 05:01 PM.

06.15.2015, 04:55 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Sounds fine to me, arren. Extended to or thru Sunday...

Would Sunday be the day for another volunteer or vict... uh, guest of honor???

Or starting Monday morning, local time zone's more or less...

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.15.2015, 05:03 PM.

06.15.2015, 04:56 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If I'm reading what arren said right, Sunday will be a new person answering questions.

10) Have you lost something that you still regret losing?

11) Which of your children would you say you're closest to?

12) Out of the friends you are no longer in contact with, who would you want to catch up with most, and why?

06.17.2015, 06:00 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

13) If you won the lottery, what would you do?
14) If you had a superhero power, what would it be?
15) What food would you never want to taste again?

06.17.2015, 07:59 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
If I'm reading what arren said right, Sunday will be a new person answering questions.

10) Have you lost something that you still regret losing?

11) Which of your children would you say you're closest to?

12) Out of the friends you are no longer in contact with, who would you want to catch up with most, and why?

========================================

Question 10)
Yes, a large number of my personal photographs. Some I remember quite distinctly, others just a general idea of what they were... All I can think of is that with all of the moving around I have done over the years, they must have been misplaced somehow. (Knowing my sense of humor, I could have said, my virginity and/or my hair, but neither loss bothers me that much, lol)

Question 11)
I would have to say my daughter... She was 7 yo when her first brother was born, so she was an only child until then. Because of my expoerience with my own sister and all the babysitting I did as a child, When my daughter was born I knew how to care for her where my wife was new to the game and frequently was at an impasse if my daughter started crying for no apparent reason (just one example).
As she was growing up, she gravitated towards me more so than my wife and in fact, didn't become friends with her mother until she was 17. If she had questions or problems, she was more comfortable asking or coming to me with them than her mom until then. One of our play things was kick-boxing and she grew up being able to take care of herself.
Even now, with her in Saudi Arabia, we are still very close... BTW, she is a member of the Tavern... and when she was a wee lassie, her CB handle was "Little Lassie"... She got a kick out of keying the microphone and saying something and have someone answer her on the radio... That would have been in the late 70's.

Question 12)
Rick, a long time friend who passed away 25 yrs or so ago from cancer. "Rick the Phoenix Mobile" was his radio handle and I was (and still am) "Husky".. We had so many good times together with friends on Citizens Band (CB) Radio, talking and chatting with one another and getting together at all hours of the day or night. I miss him.
Back in tha late 60's/early 70's, CB radio became a fad
of the average person and every big rig truck had one as well. You could cross the USA and never be out of range of someone to talk to on the radio... Whether it was other cars or trucks or base stations along the way.
We had our own "10-Code" based on the one used by police depts and many of us helped the police in search and rescues or assisting and reporting accidents. My call letters were "KCX-2836" and my Ham radio call letters that I have now are "KD6DEL"
Big rig truckers are pretty much to only ones to still use a CB radio, what with cellphones and all.

To give you an idea of how useful the CB radio was, once in tha early 80's my sister ended up in the ICU unit at a local hospital in Long Beach, Ca. I was down in San Diego and no longer was active on the Radio for awhile. I drove up to Long Beach, got hold of Rickshaw and put out a general message to other CB-ers on his radio, reminding people about the ol' Husky and explained my need for my sister. Found out later that 23 pints of blood had been donated in her name from other CB- And this was after being out of cintact for a few years.ers...

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.17.2015, 09:42 PM.

06.17.2015, 08:20 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by FlareNetworkC
13) If you won the lottery, what would you do?
14) If you had a superhero power, what would it be?
15) What food would you never want to taste again?

Question 13)
It would depend on how much it was. We'll use "5 million" for an example...

I would set up trust funds for each of my children and smaller ones for the grandkids and nieces and nephews.

Buy a small boat for ocean fishing and a small house near the ocean. After that, I'm not sure...
Buy a bunch of bad-ass guns and ammunition.... I'm joking, I'm joking, lol... I don't need anymore than I have now.

Question 14)
Well, when I was a young teen/pre-teen, I wished I had X-ray vision or the power of invisiblilty... (think girls locker rooms, ahem, lol) WELL, YOU ASKED!!! LOL
Now, I think that I would be happy to be able to fly on my own

Question 15)
Now this is a funny one.
I love cheese and I love potatoes, but two dishes I never, ever want to see on a plate in front of me, again, EVER are "Scalloped Potatoes" and "Potatoes Au Gratin"... Bleugh! barf city for me.
Now if I am served, like the purple dinnerware I have mentioned elsewhere, either of these items by my host, then I will strive to eat at least a portion of the items out of politeness...
======================
OK, as for the Saturday questions... I will be out of town for almost all day Saturday, so if I have any questions given to me that day, I will answer them when I get back in town or the next morning...

Also, as far as I am concerned, if we go over the 20 questions, I don't mind in the least...

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.17.2015, 09:56 PM.

06.17.2015, 09:20 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

16) What book and/or film has had the greatest impact on you and why?
17) What was one of the peaks of your school-going years? And alternatively what was one of the worst moments?

06.18.2015, 12:33 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Question 16) is going to take a little thinking about on my part before I can even attempt to answer...

OK, here goes... First of all, I have read so many thousands of books in my lifetime that I don't think that I could just pull out one or two that I could say greatly impacted my life. I just can't give a better answer than that.

As for the movies, The one that sticks in my mind the most was the feature cartoon (anime?) way back around 1960 called "Alakazam the Great". I remember being in the backseat of the car with my little sister at the Drive-In theater where we had gone. I was about 14 at the time and this was the start of my liking of this type of film. Later on in my life, I happened to catch a couple of Ghibli's on TV and that started me on my path of anime enjoyment.

Question 17)
Wow, this is hard also... You all have heard me tell about my years in public school, but just to refresh... Out of almost 12 years of public school before I dropped out, I spent 3 yrs at one school (and even then moved from one house to another). The remaining 9 yrs of public school I attended 12 different schools and repeated 2 of those. The shortest time I spent in a school was 6 weeks at Townsite Jr/Sr High School in Henderson, Nevada and even then the family moved back to Long Beach, Ca 3 days before school was out. I had to stay with another family otherwise I would not have been given credit for my time there. I passed 7th grade there.

Later, after the Navy, I enrolled in a Night High School and graduated in 1969 instead of 1964. I later went on to college and received a degree in Administration of Justice.

That said, I would say that in public school, the high time that stood out the most in my mind was in 8th grade at Wilmington Jr. High, in Wilmington, Ca. I learned that I could pole or rope climb with ease. I went up a 20 foot pole in 3.4 seconds and the coach made me do it again, because he thought that he had mis-clicked his stop-watch. Later that year, I was selected as 2nd most physically fit boy in my school.
All my previous years in all my other schools, I was the short kid who would usually be the last picked for teams, etc. I didn't have close friends because of moving around alot and to discover that I had a physical ability that excelled others and being chosen in the physical fitness gave me a sense of pride that I had never had before, so I would say that this was the time I felt the best about.

Low point..., probably my years at High School in Virginia. I attended Granby Avenue High School in Norfolk, Va and Woodrow Wilson High in Portsmouth, Va
Now because of my avid reading I could always pass English in California because their grading was done about 50% literature and 50% grammar. I have never been able to diagram a sentence and that was ok in Calif. I passed English with C's and D's, but I passed...
Then we moved to Virginia and the emphasis on grammar was radically different. I could not grasp what they wanted from me. I had off-duty teachers and A-students try to tutor me and nothing. Yeah, I knew what an adverb was, but WHY it was where it was in a sentence... I don't know!!! And this is what they wanted. During the Spring break in 1964, still in grade 11-A, my parents asked me if I felt there could be a change or did I want to just drop out and finish later and that was the course that I took. I went to the school, emptied out my locker and never went back until I was almost done with my Navy time.

Later, in college, I aced the English requirement. I had chosen 'Creative Writing' and passed it with an 'A'...

Go figure...

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.18.2015, 02:31 PM.

06.18.2015, 01:45 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

1 What would you want your super power to be if you had one?
19) Have you ever hated anyone (and not in the passing, like actually hated)? Who/why?

06.19.2015, 07:38 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

hahaha, I believe that your Question 1 has already been asked by Flare. #14...

But the ability to fly would be nice...

Question 19)

Sad to say, yes... I hate someone that I know personally, unfortunately. My ex-wife, but not for the reasons that you might think. Not for what she did to me, but for what she is doing to one of my sons.

I understand where my son is coming from, wanting to help his mom, etc., but after helping him and his family through their rough times financially and when he is finally getting it together with a great job with promise and a future and things are looking good for them, here comes his mom, moving in with them. Literally sponging off of them, creating stress within the household, not doing or trying to do anything to help improve her circumstances.

This is why I hate her!

His brother warned him not to do it, but he did and now is sorry. I won't go into any more detail than that.

I will say this, he finally got her off of her duff and she will be (hopefully) moving out in a couple of weeks. She finally made arrangements for herself. Her former employer in Florida even offered to re-hire her and fly her back!!!

But, you know what, hate is a detrimental frame of mind and I don't need it... To me, she isn't worth the grief, so POOF!, it's gone....

Sorry if I got too emotional there, but it has been bugging me for quite awhile now and the end (again hopefully) is in sight.

As for hating anyone else, the only one that comes to mind was one of my mothers boyfriends, a sadistic SOB, that she made a major mistake with. Thankfully, this was short-lived (relatively speaking). When my dog died and I buried her, one of the things he said was that he was going to dig her up in 6 months and make an ashtray out of her skull. Nice thing to say to a grief stricken 13 yr old...

=====================================

Since #18 was a repeat, it can be redone... something else, fen?

06.19.2015, 11:38 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Two more questions to go...

#18 and #20...

I am leaving for the rest of the day so if any questions are posted, I will answer when I return home...

06.20.2015, 04:04 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Oops sorry about that!

1 Favourite genre of music?
20) If you had to pick a food to personify yourself, what would it be?

Now who's next~

06.21.2015, 11:07 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Question 1 18.lol

Another toughie... I like almost all kinds of music to some degree or another, except I don't really care for Rap type songs... It just doesn't connect with me.
That being said, I would choose instrumentals above all other types of music, be it symphony, rock, country western or folk. That is the style I like...

As for genre, per se, I would have to choose country western/blue grass/folk. I can't really cut it any finer than that.

I hope this answers your question, fen.

Question 20)

That, unfortunately, is one of the easiest questions that I've had... lol

As large as I am, I would have to say pork... lol A big ol' "oink oink", that's me...lol

And that concludes my 20 questions stint in the barrel... Who might be next, anyone want to volunteer or do I get to choose the next questionee? heh heh heh...

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.21.2015, 06:36 PM.

06.21.2015, 06:31 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks for going under the spotlight Husky - some really interesting answers. Feel like I know you a little more now.

Having the person who just went in the witness box choose the next victim would be a nice idea.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 06.22.2015, 03:48 AM.

06.22.2015, 03:47 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks