QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Ghibli Collection
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Ghibli Collection » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm stunned by how beautiful and rich the colours are in the cel. So was this an original cel used in the animation itself?

Bel - would you recommend Starting Point and Turning Point? I have seen these books on Amazon and wondered if they were a good buy since they are not cheap. Who is the author? Is it an autobiography?

Thanks.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.18.2015, 12:54 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
belborges
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.01.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by belborges Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saddles, SP and TP are a collection of Miyazaki's interviews and articles for magazines, newspapers and such. They also feature original poems, film concepts, texts and doodles Miyazaki did to Studio Ghibli.

I STRONGLY recommend 'em to any Ghibli fan. Miyazaki's thoughts and feelings about the world, politics, nature, life and animation are all in these two books.

Reading them was important to realize what is my purpose in this world and why Ghibli matters so much to me now.

11.18.2015, 09:02 PM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks very much for such a helpful reply! I will put them on my Christmas list

Now you all know what to get me

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.18.2015, 09:22 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

sigh...

Saddles, behave yourself... lol

11.19.2015, 01:32 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

But I am behaving! This is the normal meeeee!

11.19.2015, 06:44 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

so true, so true...

I notice that you didn't ask ME for my opinion of SP and TP... uh-huh, just wanna talk to the girls, I know, lol...

Well I'm gonna give you my opinion on the two books anyway.

Short and sweet...
Like bel said, strongly recommended to any Ghibli fan that wants to know more about Miyazaki, very insightful into his character, IMO. Granted, it was written ABOUT him and BY him, so it would be slanted to his good side. That being said, I enjoyed them very much...

I just saw a copy of Turning Point on eBay for about USA$23 and no shipping, irc. If you look there and scroll through all the listings, you might find a deal. BTW, that was by a UK seller...

Merry Christmas, ya ol' Grinch!!!...

(Why I added the Grinch part, I don't know, just sounded like fun... )

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.19.2015, 01:26 PM.

11.19.2015, 01:18 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I didn't know you owned them! I knew Bel did though... so I asked her!

If you'd told me you had them I could have asked you.

Really Husky - how unhelpful can you be you strange old fellow you!

11.19.2015, 02:38 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
belborges
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by belborges Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Anyone in the Tavern who doesn't own SP or TP yet should ask for 'em this Christmas!!

Best gift ever!!

11.19.2015, 10:09 PM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
SurrealBrain
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 04.03.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SurrealBrain Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello, I am SurrealBrain. I love many of Studio Ghibli's films, and I hope it shows through.

Now, as for my collection, I do have some stuff.

-Lupin III: The Complete First TV Series (Discotek 2012 DVD; contains several episodes directed by Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata)
-Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (Discotek Blu-Ray)
-Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (Disney DVD)
-Grave of the Fireflies (Central Park Media DVD)
-My Neighbor Totoro (Disney DVD)
-Spirited Away (Disney DVD)
-Ponyo (Disney DVD)

I remember owning a VHS of Streamline Pictures' old dub of My Neighbor Totoro, but I don't know where that went to. My friend still has his copy, though, so I suppose I could borrow that.

I also heard the Sentai Filmworks' Blu-Ray of Grave of the Fireflies has a new dub in addition to the old dub. Might check that one out. Besides, I've been thinking I'd like to donate some anime to the resale shops, like the CPM release...though I'd want to get at least one copy of MNT to donate...it's only right.

Much of my exposure to Ghibli came from the local library; hopefully I'll own my own copies; I need to expand the collection.

04.03.2016, 10:18 PM SurrealBrain is offline   Profile for SurrealBrain Add SurrealBrain to your buddy list
belborges
Ohmu

Welcome to the Tavern, SurrealBrain!

04.05.2016, 04:14 PM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Indeed, Welcome, SurrealBrain...

04.06.2016, 12:43 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    1  2  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks