QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Only Yesterday dubbed trailer
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Only Yesterday dubbed trailer » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
(/`A')/

Registration Date: 03.03.02
  Only Yesterday dubbed trailerPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by UO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Everyone seen this yet? I haven't really been following Ghibli lately pretty excited Daisy Ridley is voicing.

12.31.2015, 03:26 PM UO is offline   Profile for UO Add UO to your buddy list Send an Email to UO Homepage of UO
belborges
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.01.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by belborges Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've seen it!! It's pretty great.
I want Brazilian Portuguese dub too.

12.31.2015, 03:44 PM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I must say, UO, that while preferring subs, this sounds pretty good...

12.31.2015, 09:45 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This actually sounds really nice, I love Taeko's voice, and it means I can FINALLY get Only Yesterday on Blu-ray at some point.

01.01.2016, 02:53 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

when i first joined tavern, means when i started watching ghiblis, Only Yesterday, Ocean Wave or Porco Rosso was not attractive/interesting to me. However now(after around four year, time flies ) these movies are kind of cool, they are more sensible and deep.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

01.01.2016, 09:30 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Actually haven't seen this, and looks good can't wait for the Blu Ray release here in the UK. Daisy voicing as well is perfect !

01.02.2016, 06:55 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wait what Dev Patel as a voice actor?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

02.04.2016, 06:50 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Lynnie
Kodama

Registration Date: 10.07.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lynnie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ohhhh~~~ Very nice to see! I'll look forward to it!

04.19.2016, 03:12 PM Lynnie is offline   Profile for Lynnie Add Lynnie to your buddy list
paperbullet
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by paperbullet Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'll be excited to finally see it in English. Dubs aren't for everyone, but I always enjoy seeing them.

05.01.2016, 02:01 PM paperbullet is offline   Profile for paperbullet Add paperbullet to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It wasn't about the 'dubbing' of the film, but I was reminded of it (the film) when I saw a commercial on TV about something or other and showed a man and his 5th-grade persona or self... lol

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.13.2016, 07:10 PM.

08.13.2016, 07:09 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

I recently found and have been watching NHK TV and today, I saw a show that reminded me of scenes in "Only Yesterday"... Processing Safflower blossoms for their red coloration... soaking, spreading on framed panels to dry, etc. and using the bowl of thick red to brush over panels of cloth to dye them (that last part wasn't in the movie, but it was interesting to see...)... The show was commenting on the saving of the 'obai' tradition, but I couldn't find any other translation for that word other than 'robbed', through 'Google translate', which doesn't always hit the mark in translating a word or term...

09.30.2023, 02:15 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

One of the difficulties of Japanese for Google Translate (even before you deal with grammar) is the fact there are so many homophones in Japanese, so without the original spelling or some context, there's a good chance it won't figure out which of many possibilities is correct.

Unfortunately, I couldn't come up with anything for "obai" either. Are you sure that was the word? If there's anything else you can tell me from the show then I might be able to work it out.

09.30.2023, 03:54 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

As I was watching the show, iirc, it was described as being about the arts of Japan, meaning like traditional occupations... One older gentleman was lamenting about being the only one left from his once well-manned company or profession (?) that was still there doing this in the 'old' manner, although there were a young lady or two who were demonstrating the different procedures with him... including the hand-pressing of the wet, red Safflower mixture that ended up with using a press to get all the liquid out. I don't remember the title of the show, but remember writing my previous post immediately after the show and during the closing credits, it appeared to give what it was about and the word Obai was shown in quotation marks or apostrophe's...

hahaha, I would NOT have made a good on-scene narrator... too much going on to try and keep track of everything... lol

What got my attention initially was the camera panning over a green field of yellow blossoms and the thought popped into my head, "I wonder if those are Safflowers?" and then it was! and I was listening and watching and thinking back and forth between the show and my memories from "Only Yesterday"... From the different things shown, I gathered that it was about making dyes...

Post last edited by husky51 on 09.30.2023, 11:32 AM.

09.30.2023, 11:32 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just happened to see this being advertised: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/speci...e/202311111010/

Husky, could this be what you watched before?

11.14.2023, 09:37 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

No, unfortunately, but it may have been 'Small Journeys' or a show similar to it. I just happened to come across it and was so jazzed to be seeing it and thinking about the similarities to "Only Yesterday".. I just finished watching the link you sent and liked the friendliness of the women gathering together and dyeing the stoles and was captivated by the sheer joy of the little girl with the t-shirt she dyed herself...

I still pop in often to see what is showing on the NHK network. It is actually a KCET public access station here that shows things like this as well as news and weather, etc from the Japanese viewpoint.

11.14.2023, 12:54 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks