QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What is your favorite Ghibli?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » What is your favorite Ghibli? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  What is your favorite Ghibli?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It surprises me that this thread doesn't already exist.

Anyway, mine is either Laputa, Totoro, or Spirited Away, all for very different reasons. Laputa is a flawless adventure film that is engaging, funny, and action-packed while still being smart; Spirited Away is a master of atmosphere and creativity, and it takes you into the wonderful world of spirits. I also like how much growth Chihiro gets. Totoro just makes me feel like a kid again, and I cry almost every time I watch it because of how beautiful and simple it is. They are all wonderous films.

Anyhow, what's your favorite Ghibli, and why? Feel free to choose more than one!

04.01.2016, 12:25 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
belborges
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.01.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by belborges Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like each Ghibli film for different reasons, I guess I can't build up a "ranking", but I think my favorite is Spirited Away since it's the first one I saw. The impact it had on me was huge and wonderful, it opened my eyes to a new form of making anime/animation/films and, oh well, it was my first encounter with the studio and the people that'd change my life forever, literally. It gives me the chills everytime I watch it.

Only Yesterday, Kiki's Delivery Service and Whisper of the Heart also have a special place in my heart. I think it's because I really, really relate to the main characters.

04.01.2016, 06:55 PM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
Seiji Amasawa
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Amasawa Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Spirited Away is the best, it has the Awards to prove it.
Grave of fireflies is the worst.

Disclamer all opions are my own

04.19.2016, 02:56 AM Seiji Amasawa is offline   Profile for Seiji Amasawa Add Seiji Amasawa to your buddy list
paperbullet
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by paperbullet Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

For me, it's a toss-up between "Spirited Away" and "Princess Mononoke". After those, I like "The Wind Rises" best.

Whenever I'm introducing people to Ghibli, however, I always begin with the same film: "Castle in the Sky". No "acquired tastes" in it, and it's a fun little film.

And "Grave of the Fireflies" is great. "Tales from Earthsea" is obviously the worst.

05.01.2016, 02:04 PM paperbullet is offline   Profile for paperbullet Add paperbullet to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched "Whisper of the Heart" again yesterday while the cleaning people were working on my house... Watching my favorite Ghibli while others work... Not a bad way to spend the day... lol

edit: spelling

Post last edited by husky51 on 02.10.2017, 03:47 AM.

11.05.2016, 01:32 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
msteve60
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.30.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by msteve60 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My favorite is The Tale of the Princess Kaguya.

02.10.2017, 02:28 AM msteve60 is offline   Profile for msteve60 Add msteve60 to your buddy list
tenkensmile
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.26.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tenkensmile Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Spirited Away

07.11.2017, 09:36 AM tenkensmile is offline   Profile for tenkensmile Add tenkensmile to your buddy list Send an Email to tenkensmile Homepage of tenkensmile
River Spirit
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.24.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by River Spirit Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Castle in the Sky.

When I first saw it I liked it immediately and I love the epic scale of the story. It's an ideal adventure film with a beautiful music score.

07.11.2017, 03:12 PM River Spirit is offline   Profile for River Spirit Add River Spirit to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks