QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Hayao MIyazaki Submitted idea( to be released before tokyo olympic)
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Hayao MIyazaki Submitted idea( to be released before tokyo olympic) » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Hayao MIyazaki Submitted idea( to be released before tokyo olympic)Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Read the Article Here

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/201...re-film/.108775

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 11.13.2016, 03:33 PM.

11.13.2016, 03:33 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Miyazaki was not satisfied with the CG project as a short

lol

quote:
if a feature would take him five years to make, he would be 80 years old at the end

god, why can't he collaborate with someone.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

11.13.2016, 04:05 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

another interesting thing about this, the timing. if he really think he can finish this in 2019, it is 3 years. but, when he was retiring, he said that at his current speed he would finish full-time movie in 7 years. I guess we can conclude that 3D workflow gives him more than 2x speed boost. And this might be part of the reason he thinks he can make it.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

Post last edited by makc on 11.14.2016, 07:44 AM.

11.14.2016, 07:40 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by makc
another interesting thing about this, the timing. if he really think he can finish this in 2019, it is 3 years. but, when he was retiring, he said that at his current speed he would finish full-time movie in 7 years. I guess we can conclude that 3D workflow gives him more than 2x speed boost. And this might be part of the reason he thinks he can make it.

I dont think he will make it. It sounds from the article he will complete the storyboard and let others animate it.

And Ghibli does not do 3D (as far as know)

And they have been doing CG since princess mononoke.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

11.14.2016, 09:11 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"I would like to release a film in time for X" is not a serious statement anyway, lots of people say similar things in many aspects of work. In this case 'X' is only 2.5 years away, an impossible target.

Miyazaki may continue creating storyboards but he won't make any more full length films in my view.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.14.2016, 09:23 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just heard about this too! I did think he wouldn't be able to stay away for long, and I'd be surprised to see him change his mind after planning to make something new.

What I really hope is that Miyazaki making another feature will provide some momentum to allow Ghibli to make more, even without him.

11.14.2016, 09:34 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
nanashi
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.27.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Miyazaki is man of the old type, diligent Japanese. He likes to animate his drawing so much. I think he's working forever.
But I don't know whether his work is released.

http://www.buta-connection.net/news/news_images/20161113_02

He wrote this his proposal, "Hand writing".
Schedule
2016 July, started scenario.
2017 Storyboard, and making animation.
2019 Finished. (Miyazaki wrote "Then, am I still living?"

11.14.2016, 01:33 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I just heard about this too! I did think he wouldn't be able to stay away for long, and I'd be surprised to see him change his mind after planning to make something new.

What I really hope is that Miyazaki making another feature will provide some momentum to allow Ghibli to make more, even without him.

That would be cool.

But i think the Studio is already disbanded. Several key ghibi people posted they were looking for new jobs. They will probably need to build new teams. Anime today is so different that anyone working in Studio Ghibli will get tough luck getting new job. Because the style is so different. This is all speculation by me, i have no idea about art so i dont know if the transition is hard or easy. With no real Plan about future a studio can't survive. They will need to do cheaper work to stay alive, if they only think about japan.

11.14.2016, 01:58 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
makc
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
But i think the Studio is already disbanded.

Then who the hell will be working on this title? If Mr M is only doing story boards...

quote:
They will need to do cheaper work to stay alive, if they only think about japan.

Could they do it faster still? Using *cough* 3D technology?

quote:
quote:
...3D workflow gives him more than 2x speed boost. And this might be part of the reason he thinks he can make it.

...Ghibli does not do 3D (as far as know)

And they have been doing CG since princess mononoke.

Well, several news posts explicitly said 3D:

http://www.avclub.com/article/hayao-miya...r-animat-222182
http://screenrant.com/hayao-miyazaki-cg-...ry-caterpillar/ *
http://variety.com/2015/film/asia/hayao-...ion-1201538867/ *

* but these removed 3D (it is only in url now), I guess they concluded, just like you, that "3D" was a mistake on their part.

too bad, if so, I loved these series, for example:

3D caterpillars are cool.

11.14.2016, 08:31 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Disbanded? I think we would've been hearing some very clear news reports if that were the case. All I'm aware of is a sort of hiatus where they're scaling things back for a while. Really, this might be exactly the kind of project they were waiting to do.

11.14.2016, 09:01 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Some Details

http://9gag.com/gag/any9Gwn

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 11.16.2016, 02:14 AM.

11.16.2016, 01:53 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
makc
Ohmu

I do not see a computer anywhere on his desk

11.16.2016, 12:03 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
I do not see a computer anywhere on his desk

He does not want to be 21st century person. He wants to remain in the 20th century. If he could he would have drawn every frame by himself. You can read plenty articles about him in nausicsa.net . I am sure his lifestyle will amaze you, i guess it is one of the main reason why i am a great fan of studio ghibli.

11.16.2016, 04:13 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
makc
Ohmu

what am I getting at is how is he making CG movie without C?

11.16.2016, 08:04 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
what am I getting at is how is he making CG movie without C?

Thats why i told you to read the nausicaa.net he does not do the animation, he just does the storyboard. ( in the case of catterpillar film)

A storyboard is scenes that describes the continuation of a particular piece of movie. It is similar to scripts of a movie.

On the other hand in other movies he directed, not a single one of them was done in computer. Most of the computer generated imagery was added later in order to speed up the process.

Studio Ghibli has not transitioned to CG like other studios have ( such as I.G. production and Mokoto Shinkai's Studio). They still use pen-paper method. Rather than tablet-stylus method. In 2D animation it does not make much difference

Dont you know that a famous animation software named Toonz recently open-sourced their code. It is the main software Studio Ghibli uses. ( the other famous one is toonboom, in my first and second year in university i tried to see if these makes drawing easier, they absolutely dont. So i stopped using them and currently using business animation software when i need them for presentation)

i think there is a thread somewhere in the forum

https://opentoonz.github.io/e/index.html

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tech/heres-do...are-138465.html

11.17.2016, 06:03 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
makc
Ohmu

Regarding software, I only know that vast majority of early internet animations were made in flash (not the flash player, but flash the authoring software), and toonboom is said to be superior to flash (they come up as an example in "features that flash lacks" discussions too often).

And then again, if you go, for example, to this channel, you will see that people are using the terrifying thing called blender to make (and animate) decent renderings that would be pain to do in flash. This is the kind of 3D I thought Hayao was doing, but apparently he does not even own the computer

Post last edited by makc on 11.19.2016, 10:17 AM.

11.19.2016, 10:13 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

hmm... got your point. 3D animation is a new concept. so for a old-school studio like ghibli they can not transition to that kind of process. very few studios have actually understood 3D well.

NB:
Flash is for web. It is not for theater grade movie

Blender is a great tool. They are giving away thousands of dollars worth software for free. Many theater grade movies are made in blender. But i have to agree with you that it is very hard.

11.19.2016, 02:31 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
makc
Ohmu

Just came across "making-of" dono's tribute video that I mentioned in this thread:

https://vimeo.com/188964250

As you see, blender again.

11.19.2016, 02:41 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Just came across "making-of" dono's tribute video that I mentioned in this thread:

https://vimeo.com/188964250

As you see, blender again.

Cool animation, must have took them a lot of time. You see except from the first few scenes they did not use any models. Why? because it is tough work. They rendered the exterior of bath house the bridge and a simple tunnel. Still to make it, i think it took them atleast a month. 2D animation is much easier if you can draw. ( Ghibli people can draw great so that path is more suitable).

There are many tools zbrush (clay modeling), maya ( character modeling), 3dmax (animation), AutoCAD (Building Modeling). All these costs a lot.

I have used these, they are much more easier than Blender.

But blender has almost all the features from above software. So ofcourse they are using blender. as it is free

NB: sorry i commented before viewing the making, explains what i said above. That guy really has guts. As i am not a 3D professional i can not even imagine giving that much thought in a project. I dont know if he is a pro but he is not amateur at all. He did his practice. Thanks for the link makc.

I think the saddest part here is no one from Ghibli will probably ever watch it. Let alone Hayao Miyazaki.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 11.19.2016, 04:59 PM.

11.19.2016, 04:49 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
makc
Ohmu

quote:
2D animation is much easier if you can draw

But, is it still easy if you have to draw the same thing fkn 1000 times? In 3D, you would have spend time preparing assets, but then moving the camera and charcters around is pretty much free. And then rendering time, of course.

11.19.2016, 06:00 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks