QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Mary and the Witch's Flower
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Mary and the Witch's Flower » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Mary and the Witch's FlowerPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Not actually Ghibli but closely related:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-15/former-ghibli-staffers-studio-ponoc-unveils-mary-and-the-witch-flower-anime-film/.109925

It looks pretty good, but not particularly unusual for Yonebayashi. Anybody else have any thoughts on it?

12.19.2016, 12:41 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I posted it in the anime section.

I dont know, in my opinion direct resemblance of the older films should not occur unless it is a tribute.

The trailer has tons of it.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 12.19.2016, 01:03 PM.

12.19.2016, 12:56 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah, so you did. Sorry, I didn't see it at the time!

12.20.2016, 11:49 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@arren...

hahaha, no need to be sorry, you just started your Tavern day at the top instead of the bottom of the threads, lol...

For some reason I can't get either line to cooperate... They just won't go through, it just returns to the original page line???

Did I ever say that I was somewhat (hah) computer illiterate

Post last edited by husky51 on 12.20.2016, 02:01 PM.

12.20.2016, 01:50 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I figured out the problem... Just had to thinmk a little bit (thinmk?)...

I can see the Arriety and other Ghibli attributes in the short trailer that I saw. Looking forward to see the final result...

12.29.2016, 02:03 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

new trailer here

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

Post last edited by makc on 04.15.2017, 06:35 PM.

04.15.2017, 03:41 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
Seiji Amasawa
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Amasawa Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Not actually Ghibli but closely related:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/201...me-film/.109925

It looks pretty good, but not particularly unusual for Yonebayashi. Anybody else have any thoughts on it?

Just had another look at this today, then I thought I wish they would come up with some original content. Just reminds me of Ponyo an Kiki's Delivery Service. I'm sure the story is different but still get them vibes.

04.16.2017, 10:05 PM Seiji Amasawa is offline   Profile for Seiji Amasawa Add Seiji Amasawa to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree with Seiji. Unless Miyazaki or Takahata is directing, I too wished that former Ghibli employees would set off on their own paths. The similarities in art style are understandable since many of the former employees of Ghibli will have worked for a long time using the typical Miysazaki artistic styles but it would be good to see a subject matter that had a new focus entirely.

There will never be another Stanley Kubrick or Orson Wells and we don't need to see works made in their style; why try to do that with an animated film?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.17.2017, 09:17 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

why is it me who has to post new stuff here, sigh... oh yeah, it's so that I have some ground to complain nobody else is doing it this whole week all you people do is HL/LL chit-chat

any way, new trailer is out, now with even more spoilers:

enjoy.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

06.09.2017, 01:42 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
Jxudo
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.12.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jxudo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It looks really interesting. I've been waiting on it for quite a while.

06.10.2017, 01:25 PM Jxudo is offline   Profile for Jxudo Add Jxudo to your buddy list Homepage of Jxudo
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So this is coming out at the weekend. I think I'll go and see it! Not immediately, but some time soon anyway. I expect it'll be in cinemas for a while so I'm sure I'll get a chance.

07.05.2017, 10:21 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

I saw it today! I didn't actually know much about the story beforehand, but it really was a Ghibli film in all but name. Anyway, I enjoyed it! I think I like it less than When Marnie Was There, but it was good, and it looks wonderful as you'd expect.

08.02.2017, 11:45 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
River Spirit
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.24.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by River Spirit Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I saw it today! I didn't actually know much about the story beforehand, but it really was a Ghibli film in all but name. Anyway, I enjoyed it! I think I like it less than When Marnie Was There, but it was good, and it looks wonderful as you'd expect.

That's great! I read yesterday that the American release is tentatively scheduled for this winter, so I'll be able to see it much sooner than I thought.

08.13.2017, 02:53 PM River Spirit is offline   Profile for River Spirit Add River Spirit to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

It is scheduled to be in a theater this coming January 18...

10.31.2017, 10:55 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Threewishes
Tanuki

Registration Date: 03.23.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Threewishes Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

In case someone is interested, here is a making of Mary and the Witch's Flower video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnRbAdGpDJA

11.14.2017, 09:05 AM Threewishes is offline   Profile for Threewishes Add Threewishes to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Thank you, Threewishes, this video was very interesting and it lead into other vids that I enjoyed as well...

11.14.2017, 02:27 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

In August I went to an exhibition about the film, and there was a making-of video shown there too. It was shorter and focused just on background art development. I'll look and see if that's online.

11.14.2017, 08:45 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
cuau_cg
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 11.28.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by cuau_cg Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched this last month in Japan, I liked it a lot, even that I don't speak japanese.
It looks a lot like Ghibli, but lacks a little of it's heart.
Still, I am hoping for a new movie to be released, to found their own heart.

11.28.2017, 12:49 PM cuau_cg is offline   Profile for cuau_cg Add cuau_cg to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I'm hoping to see "Mary and the Witch's Flower" In January at a local theater. Saw Howl's Moving Castle last night for the first time on a big screen.

Welcome to the Tavern, cuau_cg... Hoping that you'll like it here...

11.28.2017, 02:53 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Do you know when you're seeing it, husky? I wonder what you'll think.

01.08.2018, 05:06 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks