QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Is The Red Turtle unique as a Ghibli co-production?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Is The Red Turtle unique as a Ghibli co-production? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.05.16
  Is The Red Turtle unique as a Ghibli co-production?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Iblarder Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was curious if The Red Turtle is unique, in that it will feature the Studio Ghibli logo, but wasn't animated by them?

I know over the years, Ghibli has provided assistance/contribution (ink & paint, in-between animation, background art etc) on some films including Tekkonkinkreet or helped financially co-produce some films such as Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence — but their logo doesn't appear before the film starts. If they are credited, it's in the end credits.

Does this make The Red Turtle special? Does the fact Ghibli's logo will show before the film begins (albeit in red) set a new precedent?

Are there any other 'non-Ghibli' films that featured their logo, or is The Red Turtle the first?

I cannot think of or find any other animated films that have a Studio Ghibli logo before the opening titles, other than the films we KNOW are Ghibli films (as they were animated by the studio itself), and now Red Turtle.

Are there other examples? Or is this it?

If this is it, does that make Red Turtle a Ghibli film?

Thank you.

Would you like to listen to distant memories, feel the wind of an enchanting world, visit breath-taking landscapes, and meet the people of your wildest dreams? Then come visit the enchanting world of Iblard!

Post last edited by Iblarder on 01.04.2017, 07:04 PM.

01.04.2017, 07:02 PM Iblarder is offline   Profile for Iblarder Add Iblarder to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I can't answer any of your questions, Iblarder, but from looking at the trailers, it looks like it will be an interesting movie... Looking forward to its release

01.05.2017, 01:10 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Red Turtle was infact animated by studio ghibli, you can say that it was directed by a director not from ghibli. And it ofcourse is different and is unique in many ways.

I think Ghibli Logo or Ghibli sign is given to works where most of the work is managed by ghibli. Most other films ghibli helped was alongside another large studio and they were the key people in all those works.

Red Turtle is probably not a ghibli film as the director was outside of studio ghibli's sphere of influence. But it is a Production of Studio Ghibli. Although other studios helped

The Studio is thinking about new perspectives how to get into business again without miyazaki and takahata. They tried to make directors but apart from Kondo(Woth), they did not like anyone's work very much. That is why arriety's director left and started his own studio named studio ponoc.

They also did ni no kuni game which was awesome. I think that had the ghibli name in Big letters.

However i dont know if the red totoro was shown every where. Also another important aspect is the business policy. if you look at the films studio ghibli collaborated before most was much different than ghibli's style so showing that logo will not cause any positive impact as they were already established franchise. However in case of The Red Turtle ghibli logo does give the film additional impact as the director is mostly unknown to people.

So i think that answers your question

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 01.05.2017, 08:20 AM.

01.05.2017, 08:11 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks