QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - How did you find the Tavern and why did you join?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions How did you find the Tavern and why did you join? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  How did you find the Tavern and why did you join?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'll start...

I was looking online for some of the names of movies I had seen on TV, Like "Kiki...", "Spirited Away", and one or two others, that I had enjoyed. I searched 'Ghibli' and, voila'!, there was this listing for 'Ghibli Tavern'... I watched it for a time and decided to join and have been a member for a little more than 8 years now...

We have become a family together, I like to think that it isn't just online, and like all families we have our little squabbles now and then, but we always clear them up.

The different range of topics that we talk about range from Ghibli's (yay!) to other anime and manga and even real life sometimes. I found that we are from a number of different Countries and States and religions and (so far) have all been able to communicate and tell things about the different areas we live in... We have members from all around the world: Japan, Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand, Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Brazil, Argentina, Bangladesh, Saudi Arabia, Norway, Finland, England, Scotland, Ireland, Canada, United States... If I left any countries out, goman, there are so many.

Many of the members were only kids when I first joined and are now bigger kids (ahem, adults) they have moved on in life and gone on to raise a family of their own, become edjumacated (lol), and otherwise have less time to post in here... We miss them all and I know that many still come around and read the posts and see what we all are still doing because every once in a while they will post something... Which makes us all glad.

Hint, hint... ahem

Dang, did I write all that??? Oh, well.. I'm da Husky and I like to writ...uh...talk... heh heh heh

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.14.2017, 01:29 PM.

04.14.2017, 01:22 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Noru
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 04.14.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Noru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm here because I was searching for an anime forum because I wanted to start getting into it and not too many of my friends even know what 'anime' means LOL. But I soon realized in all the other forums I found everyone was a little too advanced for me. I'm just starting out, ive only seen studio ghibli movies, haven't even watched any anime shows yet x). So I looked up Studio Ghibli forum and this site came up, love what a close knit bunch everyone is here hahaha

04.14.2017, 02:14 PM Noru is offline   Profile for Noru Add Noru to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the forum, Noru Hope you enjoy it and you stay.

I found the forum because I'm big into ranking things and I found the old elimination game threads on the internet. I decided to join and start them up again, and even though they died out, I'm still here! I stayed because of how close-knit a community we are

04.14.2017, 05:52 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Came here 1st to discuss some matters about particular ghibli movie, did not really happen. Instead ran into some arguments with 11 year olds etc. Now came back to see maybe someone found cool anime to watch. Let's see...

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

04.15.2017, 03:49 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome back makc, hope it works out better all around this time...

Again, Welcome back...

04.16.2017, 02:57 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Husky, stop being so nice. You know this person is trouble.

Makc, pity you are back. I hoped you'd gone for good.

You return and post abrasive comments on the first day.

Curious which 11 year olds you had discussions with on this forum and how you know their ages.

You have the wrong attitude for this forum. From now on I'm going to ignore your posts and hopefully others will as well.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.16.2017, 06:07 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Curious which .....
From now on I'm going to ignore your posts

I guess not so curious, after all. But it's okay, to make self-contradictory statements is in human nature. E.g. right now I am going to say that I could not care less what you do, and yet I wrote this reply. See how it works?

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

04.16.2017, 06:38 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Can we not.

I think this forum is the second one I ever joined. The first was Veritaserum, a Harry Potter forum. No idea if it still exists... Anyway, I'm not quite sure how I found this place, I suppose I was just looking up anything about Studio Ghibli. My mum randomly bought Howl's Moving Castle for my dad's birthday and we watched it together; I loved it and kind of maybe fell in love with Howl a little bit. There was some little leaflet in the DVD case showing the other Studio Ghibli films, so I wanted to find out more; I found the main site here first, then after a little while I ventured into the Tavern. The rest is history. ^_^

It's a pity we never managed to get another RPG going again. We've tried so many times but things always peter out before we get far.

My Anime List

04.16.2017, 11:35 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I know, I wish we could get another RPG going. I'm still in the midst of reading Isakaya, and I actually have a ranking going of all the characters so far. I'll post it at some point.

04.17.2017, 02:46 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow, that would be fun to read. Ranking in what way?

I would really love it if we could sell the Isakaya story to an anime studio and get a series made about it. I think it really has potential to be good and I know of no other TV series or film that's covered anything like it.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.17.2017, 08:01 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh no. No no no. The writing of my 14-year-old self should not be inflicted on anyone. o___o;

My Anime List

04.17.2017, 08:09 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahahaha, but WE enjoyed it, Kaz and we weren't all teens at the time...

04.17.2017, 09:18 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

I ranked all of the characters introduced so far from my favorite to least favorite. And don't worry Kaz, Kazuo ranks very highly.

04.17.2017, 09:35 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Having been around some other RPG sites I can say that the quality of the writing here is nothing to be embarrassed about. I've come across people who are twice the age you were then Kaz who have less command of creative language.

04.18.2017, 08:40 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, it's a shame we never got a new thing going. I had a concept for a new RP at some point, but I've forgotten what it was. I don't think it would be possible to do it again now, but it was fun back in the day.

04.18.2017, 10:15 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Was that the idea with the people in the coastal town and the unhappy sea spirits?

I too miss the RP. It would be fun to do something again, maybe something low key and maybe based on a TV series or film so that we have a ready made background and canon.

04.18.2017, 11:27 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That might've been somebody else. I think my idea was some sci-fi thing.

04.18.2017, 12:08 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
toriforiumu
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.23.23
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by toriforiumu Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I joined around the end of school last year, I was really bored in class and I think I just typed "BOREEDDDDDDD" or a keyboard smash of some sort and I saw this forum, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that it was unblocked from my schools blocking system of sites. I also realized I post a lot in a short time, but then forget all about it after a day and check back in lol!

09.14.2023, 12:09 AM toriforiumu is offline   Profile for toriforiumu Add toriforiumu to your buddy list AIM Screenname: miu YIM Screenname: miu
Nausicaa_Cat2
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.19.24
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat2 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey all!

I was lurking and saw this thread and really wanted to post - please ignore that it's not my original account, despite Arren's best attempts to help me, we've been thwarted by the password reset system You'll have to just trust I'm not an imposter.

I joined in 2006 so I was about 12! Which seems crazy now, I really had no stranger danger. I joined because I loved Ghibli films and came across the Tavern when randomly browsing one day. I feel like back then forums were all the craze. I ended up staying for years, despite a lot of other things changing in my life. A lot of my old Tavern posts are like horrible time capsules!! I'm pretty sure I went through a phase where I Capitalised All My Words Like This. It was just what was cool at the time

I loved writing the RPG, even though I really wasn't very good to begin with and Saddletank had to spend a fair bit of time (very kindly!) coaching me. It encouraged me to go on and write much more on other RPG sites and spend a lot more of my teen years writing for fun, so that's pretty neat.

No matter how old I get, the Tavern will always be special to me

03.21.2024, 05:42 PM Nausicaa_Cat2 is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat2 Add Nausicaa_Cat2 to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Hiii! Nice to see so many old members dropping lately. It's a shame the software is so decrepit... It really doesn't make things any easier.

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat2
I'm pretty sure I went through a phase where I Capitalised All My Words Like This.

omg I forgot about that!

03.22.2024, 04:59 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks