QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Flare Ranks Isakaya Class 1-A
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Flare Ranks Isakaya Class 1-A » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Flare Ranks Isakaya Class 1-APost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So, here's my ranking of Isakaya High School Class 1-A students from least favorite to favorite! I'm sure the rankings will shift as I continue to read more, but here's how the characters stand as of right now!

Ranking Isakaya High School Class 1A

20. Danji Suteki

Danji is that rare character who pisses me off every time he appears. He doesn't say or do anything except yell at people for no reason, and he acts like an idiot anytime he does do something. I think Chihiro's Dream Boy realized this, and just quit Danji instead of salvaging his character. It's probably easier that way anyways.
Best moment: noticing the shadow split in two and screaming.
Worst moment: yelling at Icchan in the hallway. The scene was so bad we had to delete it.

19. Okahara Chitose

Chitose is so unmemorable I actually had to look his last name up because I forgot it. I don't really like quiet, reserved characters unless they can be socially interactive as well, but it seems like Chitose doesn't have that side to him. Meh. At least he doesn't actively piss me off.
Best moment: Nothing really, but I'm digging his weird chemistry with Hikari.
Worst moment: He hasn't really had any "moments" per se, because he hasn't done anything.

18. Shiokawa Kagami

Kagami is just boring. She doesn't really do or say anything interesting, but maybe it's just because she hasn't had the opportunity to yet. She's only really chatted around with Maho and Hikari, two very flashy characters, so maybe she just looks dull by comparison. I don't know, she's just not memorable at all to me.
Best moment: She hasn't really done anything, but I liked that she wants to play an instrument but is too lazy to learn.
Worst moment: I can't pick just one because all of her dialogue is just so boring.

17. Elias Mohammad/Icchan

Icchan, though not quite as obnoxious as Danji, is a straight up jerk. He was my least favorite character until the stuff at the party, because his flirting with Natsuba is genuinely adorable. But he's just too blunt to come across as likable. He's only this high up because he's important and he does stuff. Oh, and because Natsuba.
Best moment: the flirty flirty with Natsuba at the party.
Worst moment: the fight in the gym with Sadoru or his refusal to back down during the walk to detention.

16. Murakami Hiro

Hiro doomed himself to be ranked low the second I saw Momiji's post count. Hiro is only there so Sadoru has someone to talk to on day one, and then he proceeds to do nothing. It's a shame, too, because I liked Hiro during the one day he was active for.
Best moment: not knowing what FLCL was.
Worst moment: doing nothing after day one.

15. Karinushi Fubi

I don't really like melodramatic characters, and that's how Fubi comes across to me. She's always angsty, and I don't like how little she shows up in the story even though she's important. And it was a huge missed opportunity having her not be at Sadoru's party. Still, I think she has potential.
Best moment: warming up to Megumi so quickly.
Worst moment: vomiting in the bathroom stall and crying about how hard her life is for a whole day.

14. Nagashima Hikari

Hikari always comes off to me as Maho-lite. She's just not written as well as Maho, but at least she doesn't overplay her demons like some characters do. She's sympathetic, but she doesn't do enough for me in comparison to other, better characters.
Best moment: her fights with Maho.
Worst moment: anytime she complains about Sho or being lonely.

13. Morimoto Takeo

I actually quite like Takeo. I just think he doesn't do enough and isn't as interesting as some of the other class members. He really only seems like he's there to develop other characters rather than be his own person. Still, I never really disliked him.
Best moment: Accidentally reclining on Maho's desk.
Worst moment: Awkwardly leaving during that awkward lunch period.

12. Kawahara Sho

I really like Sho. But he's a little bland and he's absent for long chunks of time, which means he doesn't have the strongest characterization. I really like seeing him get worked up over Hikari and Maho, I just wish he'd be a little bit more ballsy and less introverted.
Best moment: Picking Hikari to have lunch with him.
Worst moment: being absent for a solid 15 pages.

11. Hissori Hibiki

I mentioned before how I don't like melodramatic characters, and that's partially why I'm not super fond of Hibiki. Still, he's a lot better written than Fubi and he's a bit more balanced. Though I do feel like sometimes he's just a hybrid of Takako and Fubi, and I hate seeing him just run away from anything that talks.
Best moment: Throwing cake with Megumi
Worst moment: His throat cancer reveal. I was hoping he was suicidal, I wanted to see Megumi save him, though it's looking less and less like she will at this point.

10. Kashikoi Chi

See, Chitose and Kagami? This is how you write an interesting character when they join in the middle. Chi is cute, funny, and overall just a joy to read about. She may not have the depth or development that most of the cast has at this point, but she's still got potential, and if her introductory pages are anything to go by, she's a character to watch.
Best moment: Having the wit to match Seisaku.
Worst moment: She hasn't really had one yet, but that doesn't mean she won't.

9. Hasumi Yuichi

Yuichi is the nicest guy in the world. He loves books, and he made Tanaka an adorable paper crane. He's a wonderful presence, I just wish he was a little bit less awkward. Otherwise, love me some Yuichi.
Best moment: Making Tanaka a paper crane for her birthday
Worst moment: waiting to go into Sadoru's house because he felt awkward

8. Kurosawa Megumi

Megumi is awesome. I love her energy and positivity, but I also like how she's not that way 100% of the time. She's great, but I feel like she's more of a side character than a main character. Also, I didn't like her very much during that cake throwing scene, and I feel like she's a character who could become annoying if she tried.
Best moment: Breaking Fubi and Hibiki out of their shells.
Worst moment: running away from Hibiki when he said he loved her.

7. Seisaku Rakuin

Seisaku's a great character. I like his dynamic with Maho, and I like that he's a bit of a rebel. I also like his backstory, and I think he has a lot more depth than some of the other characters. The only thing I don't like, and I know this is a weird thing, but... it just bugs me how many commas he uses in his dialogue.
Best moment: showing Maho his house, or when he hinted that he'd done drugs.
Worst moment: Kissing Maho.

6. Takako Aoi

Ah, Takako Aoi. She's a ditz, but a lovable one. I love how she's grown to like her shadow, and her and Sadoru are just adorable. I feel like her growth is pretty much finished already, though, so I don't see her becoming a better character than she already is.
Best moment: jumping on Sadoru at the party.
Worst moment: Crying in the bathroom about her hair.

5. Satomi Kazuo

I don't know why I like Kazuo so much, I just do. He's unique, and his fairly obvious crush on Takeo makes him feel vulnerable. I also think he's one of the more mysterious characters so far, because we don't know too much about him. He's cool and quiet, but not awkward. He's just a really likable guy. Well, except during that terrible lunch with Icchan. That was just awful.
Best moment: Anytime he interacts with Maho. What the heck is going on there?
Worst moment: fighting with Icchan at that lunch.

4. Ameashi Natsuba

Ohhh, Natsuba. She's a special one. I love how bubbly yet shy she is, and her off-kilter wackiness is welcome in a cast of serious people. She's laugh out loud funny, and she has depth, it's just that I can see her becoming a bit... how do I say this... too much in the future?
Best moment: Fangirling over Takeo doing Kendo.
Worst moment: Yelling at Icchan at the party. Why is everything associated with Icchan the worst?

3. Okayu Sadoru

From the beginning, Sadoru was one of the best. In a cast full of introverts, the extrovert is sure to stand out. I love how sweet he is with Aoi, and his positive energy and depth make him a fun and exciting character. Plus, he threw a party for his whole class after only knowing them for two weeks. Gotta love this guy.
Best moment: Breaking Fubi out of her shell or throwing that baller party.
Worst moment: Fighting with Icchan on the way to detention or teasing Aoi about her hair. I felt so bad for her during that scene.

2. Fushida Maho

Ahh, Maho. Maho, Maho, Maho. Maho is a top notch character. She's got depth, she's funny, she's well-written, and she's a genuinely interesting and dynamic character. I like that she actually develops over the course of the story, and unlike Aoi, I feel like she isn't done developing. I love Maho to bits.
Best moment: Fighting with Hikari or going to Seisaku's house and clubbing with him.
Worst moment: Slapping Seisaku for his graffiti, or yelling at Takeo.

1. Tanaka Mai

Tanaka is something else. She's a ray of sunshine in an otherwise stormy class. Her positive energy and pure likability are just wonderful, and even when she's angry, she's still nice about it. Everyone needs a Tanaka in their life. She's perfect, but not in annoying way. She's just a damn good person. God, I love Tanaka. She's so great.
Best moment: Every moment of hers, but specifically scolding Megumi and Hibiki for throwing cake.
Worst moment: she hasn't had a moment that I didn't like yet, but anytime she's with Icchan because I don't like how Icchan treats her.

04.18.2017, 11:14 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks. This is a really fun list. I had to think hard about some of the characters whose players joined, wrote for a bit and then left the game. I had forgotten them completely.

I am going to copy/pasta and save this in my Isakaya folder where all the plot goodies are stored.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.18.2017, 11:24 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I forgot some of these too.

I don't know if I could bring myself to go back and read through it again. Seeing the way I wrote my bits would be embarrassing, I think. Still, we generally did a decent job considering we always had to adapt to developments started by other people.

04.18.2017, 12:10 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I didn't contribute much and I would have to go back and read it to try and figure out just what my own character name was...lol

04.19.2017, 01:33 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You didn't play Husky!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.19.2017, 10:25 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This list is SO cute!!! From what I recall I would also agree with a lot of it

I also don't think I could bear to read any of it back because my writing style would feel so embarrassing back then...

05.29.2017, 02:47 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
You didn't play Husky!

I thought that I had a character that had an assigned seat in the classroom and managed to say a few words?

But I may be wrong...

edit:
or am I thinking of something wlse?

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.30.2017, 01:03 AM.

05.30.2017, 01:02 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

I just read through the thread and must agree with you, Saddles...

Dang, what was I acting as a student in? I remember being told about not having a sig along with my contribution in SOMETHING???

All I can remember is a school with 'shadows' and a nighttime garden party???

I'm not very good at these things and only did a few posts... What the heck was it???

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.30.2017, 01:31 PM.

05.30.2017, 01:29 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

You didn't create a character at all Husky. I clearly remember you being invited to join but saying at the time that you didn't want to take part because you were "an old 'un".

I am sure Flare covered every character even those who were only present for a few posts like Suteki.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 05.30.2017, 05:59 PM.

05.30.2017, 05:58 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

OMG Mai.

Yeah I'm with arren in that I don't think I could go back and read what I wrote but I miss Mai.

06.27.2017, 05:38 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Hello, swanisabella, Welcome to the Tavern. Hoping that you will join in and mingle ... lol, again, Welcome...

03.31.2018, 01:19 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
You didn't create a character at all Husky. I clearly remember you being invited to join but saying at the time that you didn't want to take part because you were "an old 'un".

I am sure Flare covered every character even those who were only present for a few posts like Suteki.

AHA! The memory ain't entirely gone, even for the old one, lol

I found a posting in Isakawa High School Threshold #3 P.83 0n 4-12-2008 at 5:25pm

My name was Otomo Yukio and I was telling a story about my Uncle's fishing boat, the Yoshi-maru...

I don't know where it is, but there was a classroom seating chart as well..

I really don't remember if I engaged in any dialog, probably not, but at least I can still count on part of my memory...

03.31.2018, 01:49 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks