QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Spirited Away deleted scenes
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Spirited Away deleted scenes » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.26.17
Spirited Away deleted scenesPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tenkensmile Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Miyazaki said that a lot of scenes were cut out (the film was intended to be 3-hour long), and some characters (Haku and Zeniba) were "greatly simplified" because of time constraint. Does anyone know what the deleted scenes entailed and possibly where to find them?

This picture I found online is what some fans claimed to be from one of the cut scenes. I'm not sure if it truly is or if it is a fan art. But if it is one of the cuts, then I am intrigued about why there are other little girls in the spirit world besides Chihiro in the picture... or maybe they are spirits...

04.27.2017, 09:05 AM tenkensmile is offline   Profile for tenkensmile Add tenkensmile to your buddy list Send an Email to tenkensmile Homepage of tenkensmile
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the forums. I have to say I've never heard such a rumour and it seems to me that with animation requiring so much time and effort on planning etc that "cutting out" scenes would never happen, or extremely rarely. Given how exacting Miyazaki is with his storyboarding I doubt this is a true story.

Is there an interview somewhere in which he says this?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.27.2017, 09:44 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the Tavern, tenkensmile, Hope that you like it here...

Like Saddles, this is the first that I've heard about Spirited Away being shortened so much... The artwork above in your post does look remarkably like a piece of Ghibli art, just from the characters alone, although I do know that it can be mimicked...

Again, Welcome...

04.27.2017, 11:36 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I personally believe that that image is official art, but it's unlikely that it's from any 'deleted scene'. Rather, I think it's an illustration that might have appeared in a magazine or something.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 04.27.2017, 11:55 AM.

04.27.2017, 11:54 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kaz's suggestion makes sense, I think.

I would also be surprised by completed animation getting cut, because if they had time to make it, I don't think it would get thrown out. One the other hand, I could believe that some planned or half-made scenes get abandoned. So I don't think it would be so strange if there were deleted scenes, but they might only exist as storyboards or rough drafts.

04.27.2017, 09:38 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes i'd also assume it'd more be deleted story boards, as opposed to fully made scenes. It'd be great to see them, Ghibli can be quite secretive though, so they probably won't share!

I too wanted to know more about the other girls. Did they come from the human world too? Accidentally stumbling upon the place.

06.02.2017, 12:42 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Calforsale
I too wanted to know more about the other girls. Did they come from the human world too? Accidentally stumbling upon the place.

Aw, Calf, now I am FORCED to re-watch Spirited Away to see if there are other small girls in there... I know that in the sleeping quarters, there are a number of sleeping figures which may be them...

Oh, the things I am forced to do for personal knowledge....lol

06.02.2017, 02:27 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Jxudo
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.12.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jxudo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
quote:
Originally posted by Calforsale

Aw, Calf, now I am FORCED to re-watch Spirited Away to see if there are other small girls in there... I know that in the sleeping quarters, there are a number of sleeping figures which may be them...

Oh, the things I am forced to do for personal knowledge....lol

Actually there are. During the scene when they're scrubbing the wood floors there are others.

06.04.2017, 03:12 PM Jxudo is offline   Profile for Jxudo Add Jxudo to your buddy list Homepage of Jxudo
husky51
The Old Guy

You're right, Jxudo, I had forgotten about that scene... Makes you wonder where THEY came from and what their story is!!!
=========================================

OOPS, edit:::

Good to see you again, Juxdo, Welcome back...

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.04.2017, 04:51 PM.

06.04.2017, 04:50 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Jxudo
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.12.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jxudo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
You're right, Jxudo, I had forgotten about that scene... Makes you wonder where THEY came from and what their story is!!!
=========================================

OOPS, edit:::

Good to see you again, Juxdo, Welcome back...

Yeah, I just remember that scene. Never though much about it.

And thanks!

06.05.2017, 01:03 PM Jxudo is offline   Profile for Jxudo Add Jxudo to your buddy list Homepage of Jxudo
husky51
The Old Guy

OK, about the other girls in the movie besides Chihiro

The scene where the girls are cleaning the floor is at about the 52 minute mark and I paused it to look at the girls better. In that scene there are Sen, Rin and 3 other girls and I would have to say that they are all from the human world although it is never explained how they got there... It is relatively easy to tell the servants that were created from animals even if you cannot tell just what animals...

The scene where the girls are all eating was not in the movie anywhere, at least not as far as I saw...

Like Chihiro, if she couldn't remember her real name Yubaba maintained control over that particular girl...

06.11.2017, 06:49 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
tenkensmile
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tenkensmile Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
OK, about the other girls in the movie besides Chihiro

The scene where the girls are cleaning the floor is at about the 52 minute mark and I paused it to look at the girls better. In that scene there are Sen, Rin and 3 other girls and I would have to say that they are all from the human world although it is never explained how they got there... It is relatively easy to tell the servants that were created from animals even if you cannot tell just what animals...

How could you tell they are humans?

06.11.2017, 06:56 AM tenkensmile is offline   Profile for tenkensmile Add tenkensmile to your buddy list Send an Email to tenkensmile Homepage of tenkensmile
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by tenkensmile

Husky wrote:

"It is relatively easy to tell the servants that were created from animals even if you cannot tell just what animals... "

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.11.2017, 08:34 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

indeed, in that scene they all (but Sen) have superhuman floor mopping abilities

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

06.11.2017, 08:40 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by tenkensmile

The shape of their heads and the markings on their foreheads. It appears that the only boys, except for Haku, are the frogs and other servants, like the foreman. Likely animals rather than humans.

quote:

makc "indeed, in that scene they all (but Sen) have superhuman floor mopping abilities "

I would say that is more from Sen's inexperience than anything else. The other girls, including Rin, are bigger and have been doing the scrubbing longer... IMO

06.11.2017, 01:10 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Seiji Amasawa
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Amasawa Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
In that scene there are Sen, Rin and 3 other girls and I would have to say that they are all from the human world although it is never explained how they got there...

Like Chihiro, if she couldn't remember her real name Yubaba maintained control over that particular girl...

Yes I think is actually really sad when you think about it. How many parents have been turned into pigs an the girls taken to be slaves cleaning in the bath house. Thanks Husky you have essentially ruined my favourite Studio Ghibli film.... lol

Post last edited by Seiji Amasawa on 06.11.2017, 08:53 PM.

06.11.2017, 08:52 PM Seiji Amasawa is offline   Profile for Seiji Amasawa Add Seiji Amasawa to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

A couple of points...

One, there doesn't seem to be that many human's in the bathhouse and two, I look at Spirited Away as being one story of, not many, but some stories of others there.

06.11.2017, 10:34 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
tenkensmile
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tenkensmile Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's also sad that Haku didn't try to save anyone other than Chihiro...

quote:
The shape of their heads and the markings on their foreheads.

The markings are on their foreheads?
Lin doesn't have any marking on hers, although she's a fox spirit.
The little girl at 53:44 isn't human.

Post last edited by tenkensmile on 06.18.2017, 11:00 AM.

06.18.2017, 10:53 AM tenkensmile is offline   Profile for tenkensmile Add tenkensmile to your buddy list Send an Email to tenkensmile Homepage of tenkensmile
husky51
The Old Guy

I may have missed something, but I didn't know that Lin was a Fox Spirit?

Lin, and the other girls that have the facial features and body shapes similar to Chihiro, I take to be human spirits or something similar and have been for decades or hundreds of years. The other female (?) spirits seem to have a longer oval face, plumper bodies and have markings like eyebrows high on their foreheads which kinda gives me the impression that they are some kind of animal spirit, but just what kind, I don't know and have never really thought about very much...

06.18.2017, 11:17 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
River Spirit
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.24.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by River Spirit Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That picture in the first post is intriguing to say the least. But like others have said, it's unlikely for a scene to get so far into the development stage and then be cut. It may have been some sort of promotional art.

I've read in a few places that the film was originally going to be much longer. If you go to http://www.nausicaa.net/wiki/Spirited_Away_%28Interviews%29 and scroll down to "What was the biggest difficulty in making the film?" Miyazaki is talking about how he had to cut a great deal from the film, but this was presumably very early in production.

As for the other "human" girls in the film, I always saw them as being some spirit that closely resembled humans (like Haku, who is definitely a spirit). If you think about it, all the spirits in the movie are humanoid, to varying extents. Even the frog-spirits walk upright and exhibit human qualities.

I'm pretty sure that Sen's situation is unique, i.e. she is the only human in the bathhouse. From her conversation with Yubaba at the start of the film, I would imagine that standard procedure is to turn all snooping humans into pigs, but Sen's persistence/courage made Yubaba hire her as a worker instead.

07.16.2017, 06:09 PM River Spirit is offline   Profile for River Spirit Add River Spirit to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks