QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - DVD Boxsets
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » DVD Boxsets » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 11.19.05
DVD BoxsetsPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by karl_b Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi, Im new to the forum!

I am currently searching for a DVD boxset of the Ghibli collection and have found a few on various sites. Can anyone recommend one that is official?

Thanks in advance.

K

11.19.2005, 08:49 AM karl_b is offline   Profile for karl_b Add karl_b to your buddy list
brenster
Kodama

Registration Date: 09.14.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by brenster Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Karl,

The only official DVD boxset of the Studio Ghibli films available at the moment is this one: http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp.../section-anime/

(It is available at a number of other retailers - I'm affiliated to none of them, yesasia included!)

The boxset is DVD region 3, with all the discs being in NTSC.

It contains the two disc versions of the following films:

Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso
Whisper of the Heart
Pom Poko
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
The Cat Returns

The box also contains a numbered certificate of authenticity and a postcard of promotional art for each film.

All the films have their original Japanese audio tracks together with English & Cantonese subtitles. The extras disc in each package do NOT have English subtitles.

The following films are NOT included; Grave/Tombstone of the Fireflies, My Neighbors the Yamadas, Castle of Cagliostro, How's Moving Castle, the Ghibli shorts disc, arigatoo Lasiter san or Hayao Miyazaki & The Ghibli Musem.

As a proud and happy owner of the box, I can recommend it wholeheartedly as a means of getting most of the SG films in a well presented boxset.

From what I understand, aside from a Laserdisc boxset brought out in Japan some years back, there are no other official SG boxsets of the films. (Individual boxset of Nausicaa etc not withstanding). A simple browse of eBay reveals most of what is out there to be counterfeit.

Is there any particular set of films or extras you're looking for as part of the boxset ?

Brendon

11.22.2005, 11:08 AM brenster is offline   Profile for brenster Add brenster to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks